Guadeloupe

travelingtrish

Has anyone recently visited Guadeloupe? My family and I will be visiting in December. We never book shore excursions with the ship. However we do not speak French so I am not sure what to do. I would like a tour of the town and then would like some beach time at St Anne's beach. Should we rent a car on our own? Has anyone experienced any problems renting a car there?

• 3 weeks later...

There has been little or no activity on this board for Guadeloupe. We have resigned ourselves to having to book excursions through the ship especially since our last French lesson was in 1976 (high school). Our excursions are not available for booking for our cruise but I did see "St. Anne on your Own for $28." Everything I have researched says the private taxis are expensive so this sounds reasonable.

• 2 months later...

I looked at the "on your own at St. Ann's" and the description could not have been more vague; does anyone know what this entails? Is the $28 pretty much the cost for a bus ride out there and then we are dropped off to find what we can? Is the beach in walking distance? Has anyone ever rented a car and do you drive on the left like in Europe? The other excursions look like you are stuffed in a bus on a schedule which I cannot stand.

I looked at the "on your own at St. Ann's" and the description could not have been more vague; does anyone know what this entails? Is the $28 pretty much the cost for a bus ride out there and then we are dropped off to find what we can? Is the beach in walking distance? Has anyone ever rented a car and do you drive on the left like in Europe? The other excursions look like you are stuffed in a bus on a schedule which I cannot stand.

All Europe drives on the right side of the road with the exception of Great Britain :D

Okay fellow CC poster's; why is there so little info on this port? Do most of you stay on the ship? I have done my research, and I do not feel comfortable with winging it on my own in this port; too many negatives about rental cars, taxi drivers, and almost nil info on reputable tour guides; does anyone at all have any info about the RC excursion "on your own at St. Ann's"? The excursion states it is only four hours, which isn't hardly any time, but in my research I found that there are beautiful beaches there, including Plage de la Caravelle, which looks to be within walking distance of the town. Okay, so I am declaring a challenge to all you posters to give us the scoop on what you know about this port stop; I am not one to give up and one to stay on the ship; help all us who want to know!

Okay fellow CC poster's; why is there so little info on this port? Do most of you stay on the ship? I have done my research, and I do not feel comfortable with winging it on my own in this port; too many negatives about rental cars, taxi drivers, and almost nil info on reputable tour guides; does anyone at all have any info about the RC excursion "on your own at St. Ann's"? The excursion states it is only four hours, which isn't hardly any time, but in my research I found that there are beautiful beaches there, including Plage de la Caravelle, which looks to be within walking distance of the town. Okay, so I am declaring a challenge to all you posters to give us the scoop on what you know about this port stop; I am not one to give up and one to stay on the ship; help all us who want to know!

Yes, it is a new stop. And it is the second port of embark (I think it is for European passengers).

The first departure begin in the month of November.

We must see that news brings the first passengers visiting the island! :confused:

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone recently visited Guadeloupe? My family and I will be visiting in December. We never book shore excursions with the ship. However we do not speak French so I am not sure what to do. I would like a tour of the town and then would like some beach time at St Anne's beach. Should we rent a car on our own? Has anyone experienced any problems renting a car there?

Renting a car is easy there is a hertz very near the port, you can book using the normal hertz website or hertzantilies website. i have pre booked a car with them for my trip in November

Dave: Please let us know how the rental car worked for you; I e-mailed Hertz, with no response; and I e-mailed Budget and received a fast response which stated the only place to pick up a rental car is at the airport which does not work; let us know how far it was to the rental place and how everything worked out; thanks!

Dave: Please let us know how the rental car worked for you; I e-mailed Hertz, with no response; and I e-mailed Budget and received a fast response which stated the only place to pick up a rental car is at the airport which does not work; let us know how far it was to the rental place and how everything worked out; thanks!

I first booked via the Hertz UK website, during all my research for car hire at the port Hertz was the only one I could find with an office there.

Although I booked via the uk site i emailed the local office in guadeloupe to confirm they had recieved my reservation, they replied within a day confirming all details and they also asked if i required the extra all risk insurance.

I first booked via the Hertz UK website, during all my research for car hire at the port Hertz was the only one I could find with an office there.

Although I booked via the uk site i emailed the local office in guadeloupe to confirm they had recieved my reservation, they replied within a day confirming all details and they also asked if i required the extra all risk insurance.

Hello!

I also do a little research and discover that is the only company with offices in the port.

In that time you must return the vehicle? Because on their website says it opens at 4:30 pm. At that time we should be all aboard!

Hello!

I also do a little research and discover that is the only company with offices in the port.

In that time you must return the vehicle? Because on their website says it opens at 4:30 pm. At that time we should be all aboard!

Their office is not open continually but tends to reflect cruise time arrivals and departures. office times from their website is below

Nom :

HERTZ - PORT DE BERGEVIN

Adresse :

Pointe à Pitre - Port de bergevin

Description :

Horaires :

du lundi au Vendredi: 07h00-08h30, 10h00-11h00 et 16h15-18h00

Samedi: 07h00-12h00 et 16h30-18h00

Dimanche:TO et Société Uniquement sur Réservation

Jours Fériés:07h30-08h30 et 16h00-17h00

Their office is not open continually but tends to reflect cruise time arrivals and departures. office times from their website is below

Nom :

HERTZ - PORT DE BERGEVIN

Adresse :

Pointe à Pitre - Port de bergevin

Description :

Horaires :

du lundi au Vendredi: 07h00-08h30, 10h00-11h00 et 16h15-18h00

Samedi: 07h00-12h00 et 16h30-18h00

Dimanche:TO et Société Uniquement sur Réservation

Jours Fériés:07h30-08h30 et 16h00-17h00

Thanks !

Please let us know how the rental car worked for you.

We stopped in Guadeloupe last year. Our early morning walking tour on our own in Pointe-a-Pitre: Vegetable and fruit market, next door to fish market, through the park to the flower market in front of a church whose iron interior was desigend by Eiffel and from there to the spice market.

In the port, a group of dancers and musicians welcomed us, young people in orange (?) polo shirts handed out maps of the city. They were also present at various spots in the city to help cruise passengers. Downtown is in walking distance to the cruise port building. Many cruise passengers looked downright frightened although there was no reason.

Point-a-Pitre is a busy city, full with local shoppers who are not interested in cruise ship passengers. I love being in a 'normal' city instead of one geared towards cruise passengers. However, this is not a very pretty city because of earthquakes in the past. Only a few truly historic buildings remain.

The closest beach is in St. Anne. That's were the hotels are. We stayed there about 30 years ago for a week, so I have no up to date information.

Renting a car is easy there is a hertz very near the port, you can book using the normal hertz website or hertzantilies website. i have pre booked a car with them for my trip in November

Dave,

Looks like you will be the first one on this thread to visit Guadeloupe. Please, please, please come back on here as soon as you can after your trip to give us a port report.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Dave,

Looks like you will be the first one on this thread to visit Guadeloupe. Please, please, please come back on here as soon as you can after your trip to give us a port report.

Thanks!

YES-Please keep us posted on what to do, I was contemplating on not even getting off the ship! And if you have any other tips for Brilliance that would be fabulous!

Enjoy your trips and Skiiergirl I'll keep you posted when we get back as well!

• 3 weeks later...

Dave let us know how that goes we are going in Dec,

Mel and Shirley

We stopped in Guadeloupe last year. Our early morning walking tour on our own in Pointe-a-Pitre: Vegetable and fruit market, next door to fish market, through the park to the flower market in front of a church whose iron interior was desigend by Eiffel and from there to the spice market.

In the port, a group of dancers and musicians welcomed us, young people in orange (?) polo shirts handed out maps of the city. They were also present at various spots in the city to help cruise passengers. Downtown is in walking distance to the cruise port building. Many cruise passengers looked downright frightened although there was no reason.

Point-a-Pitre is a busy city, full with local shoppers who are not interested in cruise ship passengers. I love being in a 'normal' city instead of one geared towards cruise passengers. However, this is not a very pretty city because of earthquakes in the past. Only a few truly historic buildings remain.

The closest beach is in St. Anne. That's were the hotels are. We stayed there about 30 years ago for a week, so I have no up to date information.

Thanks for posting your experience there. Much appreciated. :)