Guadeloupe

travelingtrish

Anything new here, as I will be there with Costa Fortuna this december ?

I wonder if the local tourist people are only distributing the maps or if there is an accual stand or office, where they can help us with booking a tour.

Or are there local people who will be happy to take you on an accual tour or

are there "only" taxi driver around?

Thanks for some answer.

(by the way my mother speaks some French)

• 4 months later...
Anything new here, as I will be there with Costa Fortuna this december ?

I wonder if the local tourist people are only distributing the maps or if there is an accual stand or office, where they can help us with booking a tour.

Or are there local people who will be happy to take you on an accual tour or

are there "only" taxi driver around?

Thanks for some answer.

(by the way my mother speaks some French)

I now just returned from Gouadeloupe.

I finally booked beforehand a tour with a German speaking guide, but there were several local people at the pier, were I'm sure one or the other would have spoken english...

We went to see a Waterfall (Chute du Crévisse) and a rum distillery on the "Basse-Terre"-part of the Island But then we went also to the other part of the island and drove to St.Anne and the Castle Point. It took us 7 hours and the cost was 195 Euro for the three of us (to give you a price to expect). You should have Euros with you (the might except US, but they will be much happier with Euros).

For more informations (or if you speak german, I could even give to the

homepage and e-mail of our guide) just write me.

Gouadeloupe is probably one of the safest, richest and cleanest islands in the caribbean.

GO OUT AND EXPLORE this beautiful Island.

There are several rental car kiosks just about 400 metres from the cruise dock, where the ferries leave, just a short walk through the market. Our car was 45 Euros plus 1.46 Euros/litre of gasoline (no need for Euros, just put all the charges on the VISA card, 0.82 Euro/Dollar), we went about an half hour drive to the Jacques Cousteau marine reserve to snorkel right from the beach, but there are also dive boats to take you to the nearby islands. The drive took us through the rainforest where we took a short hike to the waterfall. We still had time to go back east past Point a Pitre to Sainte Anne and Plage Caravelle. Nice day, could have done more.

It is such an easy and beautiful island to explore by car

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But you still have to know beforehand where to go, you cannot just drive of with no clue and find the hidden gems like for example "Castle Point" (or point du chateaux) or the waterfall "Chute des crévisses"....

...it's alright if your aim is just to drive around the beautiful and save roads or if your aim is to go just to a beautiful beach and stay there.

For neptuno - when you rented a car - did you follow a map from the rental agency or how did you know where to go? There is quite a lot to see and do. I know the drive to the rainforest is beautiful. And, I have heard traffic is horrible at times there. Just curious, as I know I want to return one day soon and I would like to spend some time on our own. Thank you!

For neptuno - when you rented a car - did you follow a map from the rental agency or how did you know where to go? There is quite a lot to see and do. I know the drive to the rainforest is beautiful. And, I have heard traffic is horrible at times there. Just curious, as I know I want to return one day soon and I would like to spend some time on our own. Thank you!

We try to do our research before arriving, using various travel books and online help. While it would be better to have purchased a Michelin map beforehand, we were lucky and got a great map at the tourist kiosk right at the cruise terminal. Guadeloupe is very organized and easy to navigate, they even have four lane divided highways. Our French is not the best but we would do it again, just with a better car company. Hertz is right at the ferry dock. We do not lay around on the beach much, but would rather find a good place to snorkel from shore, not always an easy task. I hope to return soon in a private sail boat so we can anchor around the smaller islands and dive.

• 5 weeks later...
Neptuno, any thoughts on scooters? Do they rent nearby? Taxi to pointe noir? How much do you think it would be? Our main plan is to get off ship and snorkel...thx Di

Sorry, I have no info on scooters or taxi prices, maybe try a new thread. Although the drivers seemed quite civilized in Guadeloupe, I would be hesitant to scooter, even as I am an experienced motorcyclist. But we did meet people who took the public buses with success.