Live from the "3 Queens"

Have had computer probs - so haven't been able to post to CC or update my blog.

There are approx 4-500 Aussies on the "3 Queens" special-mostly from Perth.

We have had a great couple of cruises so far - Baltic and the Med. Cold and wet in the Baltic and hot in the Med. VERY port intensive - basically about 24 port days in 32 days. Will have a LOT to bore you all with when we return .

Just a quick copy of an email that I have sent some friends - the Internet on these ships is C*** , except at quiet times like 4 AM!!!

"Hi fellow cruisers

At the moment , we are progressing through the dreaded Bay of Biscay towards Southampton. No problems this time - we have barely felt a bump on the high seas for the past 4 weeks, the seas have been VERY calm for us.

We have very much enjoyed our time on QE and QV and look forward to joining QM2 tomorrow. . Nice ships and the Cunard service is VERY good and attentive. Food has also been good - we find that the style of food on all these cruiseships to be very similar (call it "International Hotel" food) but the standard has been high on these two ships. I think it has been better than on P&O UK and P&O AUS - but that might just be my imagination.

The cruiseline definitely has a different "style" than others we have experienced. The two most noticeable things for us have been the much higher standard of dress amongst the passengers and the wide mix of nationalities amongst the crew. On formal nights, 99.9% of the men are dressed in Tuxedos or white Dinner jackets. On all other nights, the men wear jackets (plus ties on semi-formal nights). No shorts worn in the main dining room at lunch or breakfast It is possible to avoid this by dining in the Lido buffet. The crew are very good and I think that Cunard demands a high standard from them- quite a lot of Eastern Europeans, as well as the usual Indians, Phillipinos, etc. There are even a small number of Caucasian South Africans working as waiters, something we have not come across before . We have spoken to a number of the staff and it is obvious that they are all happy working for Cunard (financially). Although the cruiseline places high quality demands on them, they are also very good with them (eg allowing married couples to live together onboard). These cruises have confirmed my observations that the staff are VERY keen to have their contracts and employment continued. One said that he earns 10 times the money that he could earn at home - but, of course, with some personal sacrifice. Lots of classical type music played across the ship in the smaller venues - harpist, violinists, pianists, etc. Overall, the cruiseline would not suit some people, but obviously does suit many others. My opinion of the Vista class ships remains basically unchanged. We are not too keen on them - and prefer the older style of ship, such as Oriana, Pacific Pearl, QM2. We are also of the opinion, that when it comes to port visits - the smaller the ship, the better.

We think that we liked QV more than QE. QE does have a couple of major things that QV doesn't have - eg a larger back deck (due to the shape of the stern) - and a covered/sheltered area forward above the bridge (where they have a lawn bowling green, croquet green and lawn tennis court). QV is very exposed in that area in the cold climates. QV is for us nicer inside. The quality and style of the interior furnishings and artworks is much nicer than that of QE. The interior style of QV we would describe as "Victorian" - for QE, we would call it "Art Deco". But both ships are very nice and nobody could really criticize either too much.

We would recommend either ship and the cruiseline itself - but anybody thinking of trying out a Cunard ship would have to accept and enjoy the much higher standards of dress and formality onboard. MUCH fancier and more formal than what we have experienced before. I think that some would feel positively uncomfortable with it - while others would enjoy it. It is not often that we dress up these days - most of our life is conducted in a very casual way. :-) We have not had any difficulties , or even consciousness, of the so-called two class system while onboard either ship.

Barry and Christine "

Great to hear you both are enjoying your trip thought you must have been having a problem as i checked out your blog only yesterday and was surprised to see no more entries.. Three cheers to Cunard for sticking to their dress code ...look forward to reading about your adventures when you get back cheers Shiona

Great to hear you are both enjoying your holiday, Barry. :) Cunard sounds wonderful. Actually that was one of the things I enjoyed on the Sun Princess last Feb - they had a string quartet playing classical music in the atrium at times. I was surprised to find they had a caucasian South African young lady working in the buffet, as well as a couple of European ladies and men.

Look forward to the next instalment! :)

Barry

The "Queens" sound to be a wonderful experience. I am afraid the degree of formality is not for me anymore though so I will be sticking with "Princess". I dont mind dressing up but white dinner jackets and dinner suits is not my thing. Each to his own and during my working life and civic responsibilities this type of formality was continuous and I am just so happy that in retirement I dont have to "perform" anymore. That is why I enjoy the informality of Princess and can go on a cruise to totally relax without the continuous formalities.

There are obviously a lot other people who enjoy this sort of thing and good luck to them.

John

G'day Barry, good to see you enjoying your trip. When were coming into Southampton on Arcadia on April 27, QM2 and Queen Victoria followed us in.

Even P&O UK was a bit too formal for us, so Cunard too much so.

Enjoy the rest !

Just finished the "rendezvous" of the 3 Queens. The sounds of all 3 ships horns blasting away in close proximity (about 100 metres away ) was deafening. Considering that it was only first light here, there were quite a lot of small boats to greet us and people on the shoreline. There were a few helos overhead so just hoping that somebody filmed the event. Fortunately the rain held off. Now - we have to rush to breakfast , off the ship and get bussed to QM2 - all before 10 AM.

Barry

Hi, glad you had a good time on your cruise, and thankfully the British weather behaved itself..

I was one of those on the shore watching you all come in, was mighty surprised to see it was so busy, only managed to get to one of my vantage points just before qm2 came in.

Hoping to stick some pics up later once I've uploaded them. Am sure that the news channels will cover it, so will look at getting a copy of that..

Anyway, enjoy today..

ScrozUK

Just finished the "rendezvous" of the 3 Queens. The sounds of all 3 ships horns blasting away in close proximity (about 100 metres away ) was deafening. Considering that it was only first light here, there were quite a lot of small boats to greet us and people on the shoreline. There were a few helos overhead so just hoping that somebody filmed the event. Fortunately the rain held off. Now - we have to rush to breakfast , off the ship and get bussed to QM2 - all before 10 AM.

Barry

Thanks Barry, now I hope you had your Tuxedo on for brekkie on QE and will wear it in transit to QM2, in ye olde Pom tradition, in time for morning tea on QM2. I say old chap, I bet they do not wear their cruise card on lanyards around the neck on Cunard. You will be labelled an 'uncouth Colonial' if you do that, just like we were on P&O UK. LOL.

Maybe they sell Cunard lanyards for attachment to ye olde fob watch, to wear on the Promenade deck or Queens Grill!

Above all, ENJOY !

BIG fireworks display last night as the 3 Queens rendezvous once more before departure. I can't believe the number of Brits out seeing us off - despite the FILTHY weather. They sure are a tough breed!!!

Barry

Archived