Need Help Quick! SeaSickness Patch ?

My Dr wrote my an RX for the patches, since I'm very sensitive to sea sickness and had to religiously take Dramamine our last cruise and it wasn't even that rocky. If I missed a dose, I was sick. So he wrote me this RX, but I'm wondering is there a big difference between the patches and taking the pills. Are they more effective or is it just a convience thing. I ask because the RX is going to run me around $25.00. And I already have the pills.

My sister has used the patch, too many side effects for me... she said she gets dry mouth, blurry vision, sometimes a little foggy and it really takes a full day to adjust to them... Some people are fine with them, some have side effects. I don't chance it... I think the Rx comes with like 4 patches? If yours does, you may want to try it out ahead of time and see how you react with them... I stick with ginger personally. Good luck!!

I guess I'll stick with my Meclizine then (Generic of Bonine). I also noticed on the patch's website it said you can not drink with it, ewwww... there goes the fruity drinks I was dreaming of.

I guess I'll stick with my Meclizine then (Generic of Bonine). I also noticed on the patch's website it said you can not drink with it, ewwww... there goes the fruity drinks I was dreaming of.

FYI - You're not supposed to drink while taking Meclizine either.

Dramamine or Meclizine...big difference!

Try taking 1/2 Meclizine twice a day along with the Ginger capsules.

If using the patch, be careful not to touch your eye after handling the patch. BAD eye problems. :eek:

PS - I drink with Meclizine...but not excessively.

"less drowsy dramamine".

It may be the same as the less drowsy (or Bonine), however regular Dramamine (which the OP mentioned) is a very drowsy medicine. We find the Meclizine/Bonine to be slightly drowsy, so that's why we take just 1/2 a tablet. Does the trick, especially if you take the ginger.

When the shops on board open you can get a pair of those wrist bands. On our cruise last Nov. the lady with us was kind of like you. She was fine until she placed her feet on the ship. We werent even untied and she was fealing sick, plus she had been taking the meds for a couple of days to prep for it. We got her a pair of those bands on the second day and she was great the remainder of the trip. We asked the crew member when we bought them if they did any good and he just raised his sleeve to show us he one on and he said he had no problems after he put it on.

It may be the same as the less drowsy (or Bonine), however regular Dramamine (which the OP mentioned) is a very drowsy medicine. We find the Meclizine/Bonine to be slightly drowsy, so that's why we take just 1/2 a tablet. Does the trick, especially if you take the ginger.

you're saying it's probably similar, if not the same thing, and 1/2 tablet twice a day plus the ginger would do the job, minus the drowsiness? what milligram amount does the ginger come in and how many of those do you take? thanks!

I take ONLY ginger... I have had trouble taking anything "non-drowsy".. I always get drowsy, plus I like to have my cocktails :D I take 1000mg of ginger (you can get it at GNC, CHEAP!!! Comes in 500MG capsules), the when I get up the morning of the cruise, another dose an hour or so before sailaway, and then some as needed. I used to take many more doses but have found I don't need it... I also take it throughout the cruise if I start to feel woozy... works like a charm for me.

I had a friend who used the patch about a couple of years ago, she was sick as a dog. Your best bet is the ginger and the pills. I would not trust that patch after seeing what she went through and about $100 dollars in doctor bills onboard.

We didn't even take anything on our last cruise.

We use to take the 1/2 tablet of Meclizine the mornming of the cruise...another that evening and that was it unless the seas got really rough. Along with the Mecl. we would take one Ginger capsule (from the health food store) morning, noon and night. I would quit taking it by the second day, but my DH continued just in case. The only side effect was slight gas. :eek:

Try Triptone, you can get it at your local dive shop. It works great. No side effects whatsoever. Don't wait and take it when you are starting to feel sick take one every day if you are that prone to sickness.

For me, the patch has been the ONLY thing that has helped. I have used all combinations of the wrist bands, pills and ginger tabs...all with no success. I put the patch on about 24 hrs before sailing so the meds have a good chance to get in my system. On occasion, I have felt a little goofy after first putting it on, but that subsided within a couple of hours. There is absolutely no worse feeling that being seasick!:eek: Everyone handles the patch differently, but for me, it has been a Godsend!

Have you tried Bonnine -- the once a day, less drouzy formula? It really works and you only take one pill a day. Also, you might want to try "Sea Bands" -- you wear them on your wrists and they work on the acupunture principles.

MARAPRINCE

I used Meclizine on my last cruise. My pharmacist went ahead and cut the pills in half for me. I don't actually get seasick but on my 2nd cruise it took me several weeks to get adjusted to being on land again. I took the meclizine the entire cruise, never felt drowsy, drank (alot:D ) without problems, and it only took me a couple of days to get adjusted once back on land as opposed to the 4 weeks for the previous cruise.

I'm going to use the Meclizine I have (I also have vertigo) so have an RX for these, and I'll try the Ginger and seabands... how often do I take the Ginger?

I put my regimen in my post above... has always worked for me. Take 1000mg in the morning (you can start the night before if you wish), and then an hour or so before sailaway... You can also take them shortly after sailaway as well... and then as needed.

I just noticed someone said something about vertigo I have never been diagnosed as having such but I do get weak knees and feel like im going to fall over at very high heights.. they have meds for that really??? If so pls inform me.

Vertigo is when you become really dizzy. I take meclizine for that also when I need it. I usually have to take a whole tablet twice a day instead of one a day as prescribed. However, there are several medicines for V and you should ask your doctor for advice. Most of the medications are the same as Meclizine with different names. One is called Antivert

My Dr wrote my an RX for the patches, since I'm very sensitive to sea sickness and had to religiously take Dramamine our last cruise and it wasn't even that rocky. If I missed a dose, I was sick. So he wrote me this RX, but I'm wondering is there a big difference between the patches and taking the pills. Are they more effective or is it just a convience thing. I ask because the RX is going to run me around $25.00. And I already have the pills.

Ginger works great for motion sickness!

Archived