Onboard Summit; AQ Room Issues

TxnAquarian

I'm on the Summit right now. We got rained out in Bermuda, so I thought I'd use my free time to give a quick critique of my AQ room (9076). First of all, they did a fantastic job of renovating this ship (mostly). It's like a mini-Solstice Class ship now and it looks great. The crew has also been fantastic. They are so friendly and accommodating. It's just the Celebrity I've grown to love.

On a negative note, our room is really disappointing. Paying for AQ, I would expect the same standards carried over from ship to ship. The room looks lovely, but the bathroom is awful. They obviously didn't make any improvements to it in dry dock. The shower wall is peeling off, there is rust all around the base of the shower floor and there is mildew and tiles coming up off the floor. In addition, the sink is rusty and peeling. I was shocked when I saw it on embarkation day. It's pretty gross and I don't even like to walk around barefoot in there. I am shocked that Celebrity would sell a room like this. I wrote a note to hotel director to suggest that this get fixed the next time they do room maintainence.

Another issue with the room is the amount of noise from the pool deck above. All night we hear people stomping around, chairs and tables being dragged around. It's the noisiest room I've ever had - and I have stayed in rooms under the pool deck before. I regret that I didn't do my research beforehand or I would've found out that there are now AQ rooms on Deck

11 with nothing above them. The worst times of noise in the room are after midnight and around 7am - 10am.

We are having a fabulous time (despite the weather), and these issues aren't ruining the cruise for me at all. I just want people who book AQ rooms on Deck 9 to be aware of these issues. I probably wouldn't book a Millenium-Class ship again because of this. I will stick to the lovely Solstice-Class. Looking forward to the Reflecton inaugural this fall!

Michael

I'm on the Summit right now. We got rained out in Bermuda, so I thought I'd use my free time to give a quick critique of my AQ room (9076). First of all, they did a fantastic job of renovating this ship (mostly). It's like a mini-Solstice Class ship now and it looks great. The crew has also been fantastic. They are so friendly and accommodating. It's just the Celebrity I've grown to love.

On a negative note, our room is really disappointing. Paying for AQ, I would expect the same standards carried over from ship to ship. The room looks lovely, but the bathroom is awful. They obviously didn't make any improvements to it in dry dock. The shower wall is peeling off, there is rust all around the base of the shower floor and there is mildew and tiles coming up off the floor. In addition, the sink is rusty and peeling. I was shocked when I saw it on embarkation day. It's pretty gross and I don't even like to walk around barefoot in there. I am shocked that Celebrity would sell a room like this. I wrote a note to hotel director to suggest that this get fixed the next time they do room maintainence.

Another issue with the room is the amount of noise from the pool deck above. All night we hear people stomping around, chairs and tables being dragged around. It's the noisiest room I've ever had - and I have stayed in rooms under the pool deck before. I regret that I didn't do my research beforehand or I would've found out that there are now AQ rooms on Deck

11 with nothing above them. The worst times of noise in the room are after midnight and around 7am - 10am.

We are having a fabulous time (despite the weather), and these issues aren't ruining the cruise for me at all. I just want people who book AQ rooms on Deck 9 to be aware of these issues. I probably wouldn't book a Millenium-Class ship again because of this. I will stick to the lovely Solstice-Class. Looking forward to the Reflecton inaugural this fall!

Michael

Hi Michael,:) thanks for the update....the bathroom sounds bad:(

You sent a letter to the Hotel Director...good...but I would find

head of Housekeeping and get them to clean away the mold:mad:

We had the cabin next to yours on the May 6 cruise. Wrote about how disappointed I was in the AQ on the Summit and also wrote some of the same issues.

In another thread that I started about being locked out on the balcony someone made a comment that I deserved it because of I guess something pertaining to my attitude.

You are not alone.

I enjoyed the cruise but didn't feel that AQ was worth the extra. Someone else posted in another thread and made a great comment that X took the worse cabins and made them into AQ so they could get more out of them.

I just don't get this. To me a disgusting bathroom is a complete turn-off. Why spend millions on renovations and ignore such a basic amenity? I don't know if this would sour me forever on a cruise line, but all of the other stars would have to be in alignment for me to book again if I had this experience.

Just got off the Summit last Sunday..I did do the research and primarily booked Aqua 11 for the newly constructed cabins, proximity to aft/Sunset bar and no balcony overhang...

Granted our balcony was much smaller (sadly could not get one of those 5 Aft aqua 11 cabins..but will definitely try to book one of those next time..). ..however i thought that was a "small price to pay" for all our other preferences ..and to avoid some of your stated concerns..we had lots of rain on each of (Monday and Saturday) sea days...but great weather in Bermuda..:rolleyes:

Best of our 20 cruises so far!

Avi

Michael

This is my one and only gripe about the renovation. The bathrooms were not touched except for adding a night light in place of the useless hairdryer. They need to be thoroughly cleaned with new tiles added, especially the loose tiles on the shower floor. Some of them squish even when stepping into a dry shower. :eek::( Adding more grout is NOT the answer.

I so love what they have done to the rest of the ship. If only they had paid some attention to the bathrooms.

Anne

We had the cabin next to yours on the May 6 cruise. Wrote about how disappointed I was in the AQ on the Summit and also wrote some of the same issues.

In another thread that I started about being locked out on the balcony someone made a comment that I deserved it because of I guess something pertaining to my attitude.

You are not alone.

I enjoyed the cruise but didn't feel that AQ was worth the extra. Someone else posted in another thread and made a great comment that X took the worse cabins and made them into AQ so they could get more out of them.

Could the comment you are referring to possibly have been made by the poat? Sorry, here I go again. :) I promise to stop.

Anne

I am familiar with M-class standard bathrooms, and also with the S-class AQ bathrooms.

Am I correct in assuming that the M-Class AQ bathrooms have not been improved to make them equal to the S-class AQ bathrooms?

In other words, do the M-class AQ cabins have the old style shower curtain vs. the S-class glass enclosed shower stall with multiple/massaging showerheads?

This is my one and only gripe about the renovation. The bathrooms were not touched except for adding a night light in place of the useless hairdryer. They need to be thoroughly cleaned with new tiles added, especially the loose tiles on the shower floor. Some of them squish even when stepping into a dry shower. :eek::( Adding more grout is NOT the answer.

I so love what they have done to the rest of the ship. If only they had paid some attention to the bathrooms.

Anne

Hi Anne,:) I still haven't sailed sailed her since the upgrade...although

it sounds as if the bathrooms were not done:rolleyes:

I am familiar with M-class standard bathrooms, and also with the S-class AQ bathrooms.

Am I correct in assuming that the M-Class AQ bathrooms have not been improved to make them equal to the S-class AQ bathrooms?

In other words, do the M-class AQ cabins have the old style shower curtain vs. the S-class glass enclosed shower stall with multiple/massaging showerheads?

I cannot answer regarding the deck 9 cabins, but the new deck 11 cabins have a great bathroom complete with the multiple/massaging showerheads. I also seem to remember they are sort of glass enclosed. Need to be careful that the doors were closed properly to prevent any floods. Loved the bathroom on deck 11, but not fond of the heated mirror.

Anne

Hi Anne,:) I still haven't sailed sailed her since the upgrade...although

it sounds as if the bathrooms were not done:rolleyes:

Hi Lois,

Sorry I have not responded to your review, but am now busy putting my aunt into a nursing home. Not a fun time here at all, for any of us.

I was not at all surprised that you loved your Med. cruise and am so glad you got to Oia on Santorini. :) Even better than it's pictures. Hope you get a chance to try Summit soon. She is just beautiful, except for the bathrooms. :(

Anne

Sorry to hear this. I had hoped that the problems on deck 9 were isolated but it sounds like a common problem.

Other than Blu, the best thing about AQ on S class is the wonderful bathroom. With lots of storage and the great shower head. I wasn't expecting AQ on Summit to be as nice as that but moldy and grungy NO WAY!!

I'm already concerned about potential noise in 9038, now this.

our only previous experience on Summit was wonderful - we had SS 6145 with the amazing bathroom so this could be a big let down

I sure hope everyone complains to Housekeeping on board and writes to Corporate as well.

TxnAquarian - did the aqua class bathrooms on deck 9 have glass shower screens and the new shower heads? Not that that would make much difference if the rest of the bathroom was grungy, but would like to know. Thanks!

The bathrooms have the new shower heads, yes. But it's very odd because nothing else in the shower or bathroom was updated. And I don't know if these rooms had a shower curtain or shower door before, but what we have is a plastic enclosure and door that is very flimsy. It's certainly not the glass enclosure they have on Solstice Class. It literally is an old, grungy bathroom with the new shower head. I'll post pics when I get home for anyone who is curious.

Michael

Could the comment you are referring to possibly have been made by the poat? Sorry, here I go again. :) I promise to stop.

Anne

No. That was not it. It was about following my comments in other posts about that cruise.

Nothing wrong with the poat. :D

The bathroom is no where close to those on the S class. The only thing that was the same was the multi shower panel. There is a glass door with little knobs that are nuts for the handle. There were elbow bangers for me. The shower is very narrow for me and I am not a large person. No electrical outlets either in the lav.

The balcony is narrow so there are no foot stools.

There is only one useable electrical outlet that is over the desk.

The refrigerator doesn't really get cold so if you have meds that need refrigeration you may be in trouble.

Any cabin from the elevators forward under the large overhang will have noise from the pool area that is either from people walking or moving chairs. The noise will continue all night long.

The rooms that are under the buffet area can be view onto thru those glass floor panels in the buffet floor. Those passengers need to be careful. Don't know why they have them.

Just off the Millie last week in AQ cabin 9090 and our room and bathroom were wonderfully upgraded to every detail. Shower was spacious with multiple horizontal shower jets and a cool adjustable shower head. Especially like the extra size room and clear doors.

The room was nicely updated with new features, carpet, drapes and other amenities throughout. Loved the room.

Everything was quiet, relaxing and updated. The M Class ships are beautiful. :cool:

Reading your reports about the bathrooms , I'm getting quite concerned about my upcoming cruises on "Infinity" - for one of those we chose an A2 cabin which is on deck 9 because it was a lot cheaper than the A1s on deck 11. I'm wondering now if I made the wrong choice, because a moldy, rusting bathroom with loose tiles is not something I'd expect for the prices we're going to pay.

Is it just "Summit" then or are "Infinity" Aqua Class cabins on deck 9 in the same sorry state?

Thank you so much for your answers because I could then reconsider my choices.

Am also on Summit just now Aqua Deck 11 had to highlight to the Hotel Director we still 6 days in are missing Aqua toiletries, never had large towels etc. cabin Steward does not seem to or want to understand when I ask him

Will post more on my return

Ps Deck 11 aft does have noise problems from Sunset Bar, had to call down at 0030 am to ask if someone could ask the guests playing cards down there robe quiet :(

Good cruise though and staff and food in Blu is wonderful

Archived