Best Snorkeling Sets??

ShrajoGator

Hi!

My hubby and I are looking for great quality, affordable snorkeling sets. I would like the opinions, suggestions, pictures of any and all brands please. Trying to decide which ones to buy for our cruise in October.

Thanks in Advance!!

Hi!

My hubby and I are looking for great quality, affordable snorkeling sets. I would like the opinions, suggestions, pictures of any and all brands please. Trying to decide which ones to buy for our cruise in October.

Thanks in Advance!!

From Miami?

visit a dive shop

unless you want junk

then visit WalMart or Sports Authority

HARSH?

Maybe, but most people who ask this question do not have a ton of good dive shops around them - you do (Miami ?).

great quality, affordable snorkeling can mean two things, you want a WalMart set or stuff that's good for you. You'll find the latter at a GOOD dive shop

or shoot blind at http://www.leisurepro.com/Cat/Context_2652/Mask_&_Snorkel_Sets/3325.html

I'd like you to find gear you'd be comfortable in for hours .... probably NOT a WalMart set.

Thank you Capt BJ! We've been looking at Amazon and like the US Divers set and the Cressi set the sell. I know you mentioned a dive shop, but we live in West Miami Dade (almost an hour from the beaches where you find most dive shops!). They are a little scarce around here and if you do come across one then good luck finding an associate that is a.) willing to help you and b.) willing to help you in english! I know that sounds harsh, but around here it's the truth :(.

US Divers was once a very big name in dive gear - remember those Cousteau specials!!! I have fins and a dive bag from when they were a major supplier back in the 70's and 80's

But they got out of the business quite a while back {as did DACOR}. There is some linkage to the current Aqualung line but it is thin.

The current US Divers sells low end snorkel gear .... their stuff is typically not found in dive shops. Occasional users .... swimming pool snorkeler ... kids ... rental gear ... that's their market now.

http://www.usdivers.com/index.php/where-to-buy

• 2 weeks later...
US Divers was once a very big name in dive gear - remember those Cousteau specials!!! I have fins and a dive bag from when they were a major supplier back in the 70's and 80's

But they got out of the business quite a while back {as did DACOR}. There is some linkage to the current Aqualung line but it is thin.

The current US Divers sells low end snorkel gear .... their stuff is typically not found in dive shops. Occasional users .... swimming pool snorkeler ... kids ... rental gear ... that's their market now.

http://www.usdivers.com/index.php/where-to-buy

fyi... The name has changed, but the company never went anywhere. US Divers has always been Aqualung. When Aqualung moved into a more "global" market, about 15 years ago, they had to loose the USD name and reverted to the parent company name in order to appeal to consumers outside the US. Aqualung continues to be one of the biggest manufacturers of top-of-the-line scuba gear. The USD name has been brought back in their swim equipment lines and the less expensive mask and snorkel "sets" that are produced for sale in stores like Target, Walmart, etc.

I still have my original USD Cousteau BCD... hanging in a closet. 18 years old and looks new.

My newest... an Aqualung Dimension i3 BCD is the newest and best. I have a feeling it will also be around for a long time.

Please take this as intended... informational and NOT confrontational.

The very best equipment does not necessarily come in sets. You may get lucky with a set but the single most important piece of snorkel equipment is the mask and nothing is more unpleasant that is mask that does not fit you face and leaks. That if for no other reason is reason enough to get your mask fitted at a dive shop....everything else be it fins, snorkel or vest can be purchased online or at a box store.

I don't SCUBA dive (yet) and have only snorkeled a few times on vacations, but really liked it. I decided to order a snorkel and mask for my recent cruise. I have no idea what price points or brands are good or which are really pool toys. Having said that, I was very happy with the Aqualung set I ordered off of Amazon for around $30 USD. The items are marked Aqualung but I'm pretty sure the listing and invoice said US Divers. The mask worked very well, as did the snorkle. The snorkle has an odd tip that flips closed when you dive which worked really well. Whether it's considered good stuff or a toy, this set was great for my needs.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Please heed the advice & only buy a mask you can try on, OR be sure there is a return policy & plenty of time to keep returning & trying something new.

Barring this, plan to use a rental set where you can (once again) try it on first for appropriate fit. I'm not so worried about snorkels... Fins need to fit your foot comfortably - again something you can't judge from a website.

Ever buy shoes online, sight unseen? How'd they fit? Same idea!

I also use a US Divers snorkel & prescription mask that I've had for years. Bought it at snorkelmart dot com. I think the prescription mask cost me about $100. I'm taking them on 11th cruise next year. Looks like new & works great. Hardly junk IMO.

• 4 weeks later...

Go to a store to buy a mask. Get the fins online if you want. Take the mask and place it on your face lightly. Inhale slightly. You should be able to remove your hand and the mask will stay on. You should no need to press to get a seal or inhale hard. This may mean you need a cheap mask or expensive mask, depending on what happens to fit. When you adjust the strap you should need very little pressure to keep the mask on with a good fit. For the snorkel, its less critical, but get a purge valve at least. Some sort of baffle on top to divert splashes is useful. They make ones that automatically seal the top when it goes under water. They're nice for rougher water. Buy a couple snorkel retainers and mask defogging solution.

Archived