Ecstacy or Dream for a family of 4?

susanch12345

My husband and I are in our late 30s. We have a set of twins who will be a few days shy of 3 years old when we travel.

We are planning on a family vacation this winter, which included a few days in Orlando and a cruise. We are now debating on which ship to take.

We picked Carnival because they have the camp that would take kids younger than 3. We are hoping the twins will spend a little bit of time here and there.

We looking at Ecstacy or Dream. Ecstacy is a 5 day cruise that goes to bahamas, and Dream is a 7 day that goes to Western Carribean (cozumel, roatan, costa maya and belize). We've been to neither, so they both sound interesting.

Ecstacy is an older boat, Dream is very new, bigger with bells and whistles. Of course, it's more expensive too. About $800 for the same catogery of rooms.

This will be my and husband's second cruise, and the twins' first. I'm not sure if the twins can handle a 7 day cruise. Are they going to be bored? What if they are sea sick?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

My husband and I have been on several different Carnival ships, including larger ones like the Conquest, Spirit, and Elation, but our all time favorite is still the Ecstacy. We have been on four Ecstacy cruises and the five day on that ship is just exactly right.

First, because it is a smaller ship, it is easier to get around on it, but it still has plenty to see and do.

Second, our experience was that service in the main dining room was a bit faster than on some of the larger ships, and each time we cruised on the Ecstacy we remarked on how unusually friendly the staff was compared to other ships.

Finally, with small children you will probably be happier on a shorter cruise. By the end of the five days, you will probably think it was just enough. And the big price difference is a lot to pay for just two more days of cruising.

Hope you have a wonderful time!

I've been on Ecstasy twice and I agree with everything that Miss Picante says.

While we never cruised on either the Ecstasy or the Dream with our kids, we never cruised more than 4 days with them. I think a 5-day cruise would be the most I would ever cruise with kids as young as yours. (And, in fact, you may want to consider the 4-day cruise on the Ecstasy.)

While we LOVED the Dream, and LOVED that itinerary..... I think for your first cruise with your children, a five day may be just right. Our kids never got seasick and in fact, when they were little (or daughter was 2 for her first cruise), the motion of the boat made naptap easy as can be.

Camp Carnival is terrific, even for 2 year olds! Hopefully you will have a few hours here and there to enjoy your alone time!

Dream Positives - Itinerary, Waterworks Kiddie Area, and Huge Camp Carnival Area. Negatives - HUGE Size, Large number of passengers, long elevator lines.

Ecstacy Positives - smaller ship, five days for your first cruise with kiddies.

Negatives - older ship with smaller public areas.

Hope that helps!

Catrin

We started with a 5 day Ecstasy cruise in 2006, to see if my sister would get seasick ..and then moved on to some 7 days.

It would give you a chance to see how you like cruising.

True its a older ship, but there are good things to say about older ships too.

I have been on both! I would do the dream! Loved it and there is hardly any movement on the new larger ship! Is the sensation not there anymore? If they are I would do the shorter cruise on it!! It is one of my favorite Fantasy class ships! Been on her 4 times! :)

With little ones that age who have never cruised before I would do the 5 day. Yes, honestly, they might get bored or you might get tired of entertaining them since there is the possibility that they won't like going to camp. If everyone loves it, then go on a longer one next time.

Dream Positives - Itinerary, Waterworks Kiddie Area, and Huge Camp Carnival Area. Negatives - HUGE Size, Large number of passengers, long elevator lines.

Ecstacy Positives - smaller ship, five days for your first cruise with kiddies.

Negatives - older ship with smaller public areas.

Hope that helps!

Catrin

actually the Ecstasy does have Waterworks too. It might be smaller (I have no idea) but for the OP, I think that would be a plus. You won't lose track of the little ones playing in that area on the smaller ship.

The Dream is my favorite ship by far! But I agree with the majority here. It would be better to start off with the smaller & shorter cruise and work your way up. The Ecstasy is an older ship, but with what they're doing to the newer ships, it would seem that the older ships are giving a better "cruising experience", at least with Carnival.

Both ships have "Waterworks". Dream's is bigger, with 2 large waterslides compared to one on Ecstasy. For little ones, though, I'm not sure what Ecstasy has. Dream has a couple tiny kiddie slides that they'd enjoy, as well as twin, one-story, racer slides. Ecstasy doesn't have the extra-pay restaurant.

actually the Ecstasy does have Waterworks too. It might be smaller (I have no idea) but for the OP, I think that would be a plus. You won't lose track of the little ones playing in that area on the smaller ship.

I am sorry I posted incorrect info on this!! I was thinking of the Paradise, which doesn't. If the Ecstasy's Waterworks are like the Inspirations, the kids will love it !!

Have you considered sleeping arrangements? On Ecstasy, the 3/4 beds are upper bunks. I doubt you will want your twins climbing up to a bunk. You would have to pull the mattresses down and put them on the floor, and there is not a lot of floor space if you have the twins together. Dream has cabins for four and five that have a sleeper couch, and you could pull the mattress down from the bunk and still have space to move. EM

Have you considered sleeping arrangements? On Ecstasy, the 3/4 beds are upper bunks. I doubt you will want your twins climbing up to a bunk. You would have to pull the mattresses down and put them on the floor, and there is not a lot of floor space if you have the twins together. Dream has cabins for four and five that have a sleeper couch, and you could pull the mattress down from the bunk and still have space to move. EM

that's a good point. The twins are small, so I will be sleeping with both of them on the king size. My husband will sleep in one of the upper bunks. I hope this works.

Archived