Timing of ferry from dockyard to St George

Travellingmum

We will be docked at Kings Wharf and would like to take the ferry to St George's on a Wednesday morning in time to join the walking tour which I believe starts at 10:30. What time should we be on the ferry in order to make it to St George in time for the tour? After the tour and watching the dunking of the wench we are thinking about going to Horseshoe Bay, would we be better to take the ferry back to dockyard and then take the number 7 bus or should we take the ferry to Hamilton and then take the bus from Hamilton?

Here are the AM departure times for the Dockyard > St George ferry: 9:45, 10:30 & 11:45. Travel time is about 35-40 minutes. I would be in line for the 0:45am ferry ferry by 9:30am.

I would rethink going to Horseshoe Bay on the day you are in St George. That are almost at opposite sides of the island and you'll waste valuable time traveling.

Here are the numbers. The PM departure times from SG > Dockyard ferry are: 12:45, 2:30, & 3:00. Travel time is about 35-40 minutes. Max waiting time for a route #7 bus at the Dockyard is 30 minutes. Travel time to HSB is about 30-35 minutes.

There are no direct ferries from St George to Hamilton. Any ferry from SG goes to the Dockyard first and has about a 15 minute layover before going to Hamilton. Travel time to Hamilton is about 20 minutes, and then you have to walk from the ferry terminal to the bus terminal and wait for the bus. Travel time by bus from Hamilton > HSB is about 30 minutes.

First option, take a route #10 or #11 bus from SG to Hamilton. Travel time is about 50 minutes and then a route #7 bus to HSB.

Second but expensive option, hire a taxi in SG to take you to HSB. My estimate for the fare is $40.00 for 1 to 4 passengers. Travel time 30-35 minutes.

Third option, from SG walk to Tobacco Bay for your beach time.

SBtS

Lostgirl, while Tobacco Bay may not be as famously beautiful as Horseshoe it really is a lovely spot. My husband and I walked there from St. George and enjoyed a nice casual lunch on the deck overlooking the beach; they have a decent snack bar area and bar service.

They also have chair/lounger rentals, a small sundry shop and other facilities. You will enjoy it after touring St. George.

We did this last week, actually they wait for the 0945 ferry to come in if it is running late before doing the walking tour- it was a really nice walking tour, finished at 1145 just in time for us to watch the ducking of the nagging wife. We then took the bus back to Hamilton which gave us another view of the island

Bear in mind to allow time to buy your transport tickets if it is Day one, delay was only about 5 mnutes or so to do that. The lines for the ferry looked long but actually it was amazing there were still spare seats after everyone had boarded

Archived