TA Rebates

rallydave,

You are correct. I totally blame those TAs that are violating their agreements with there vendors. Coming from the airline side, it just makes me mad when our TAs would do this with AA. I cannot blame the passenger, but I just can't do it.

No one is VIOLATING any AGREEMENTS!! As has been pointed out by others the memo provided by PCH says the TA's can't advertise rebates. It does NOT say they can't provide a rebate of their choosing.

If PCH wants to eliminate rebates, they need to say so. Obviously after PCH's discussions with their TA's they have chosen the route that has been taken and rebates are just fine if within the rules.

After the PCH direction to their TA's, I was concerned so contacted the owner of the TA I use who is a rather large brick and mortar as well as internet company and was informed that he had discussed the new policy directly with the powers that be at Regent and Oceania and that he did not need to make any changes to his rebate policy which is in compliance with the new PCH policy.

Sure there could be further changes in the future but, for now the rebate policy for my TA as well, I am sure for others are in full compliance with PCH's policy. The only thing we need to agree to disagree on is whether the policy will change and not that the policy changes things for many TA's; and not the policy of providing a more than 5% rebate or not.

The bottom line is that commissions are not intended to be rebated back to the customer. The actions of a few always seem to affect the rest. Regent has asked that TAs not rebate back more than 5% and several are proud to say they have found TAs that do not represent the product they are fortunate to sell. I was simply comparing it to the airline industry and not who is doing the work and research on each booking. I just expected more out of a Regent passenger not to treat the product like a Carnival cruise.

I have never seen where Regent "has asked that TAs not rebate more than 5%". They have said TAs cannot advertise more than 5% rebate, that's it. Please, if you want to be holier than thou, go ahead. You will not guilt me as a Regent passenger for looking out to maximize my vacation $$$$.

rallydave,

You are correct. I totally blame those TAs that are violating their agreements with there vendors. Coming from the airline side, it just makes me mad when our TAs would do this with AA. I cannot blame the passenger, but I just can't do it.

These agreements you keep referring to are a figment of your imagination. The only thing Regent has requested from TAs via their published policy is that they do not ADVERTISE rebates/ discounts higher than 5%. Please, lets get the story straight!

No one is VIOLATING any AGREEMENTS!! As has been pointed out by others the memo provided by PCH says the TA's can't advertise rebates. It does NOT say they can't provide a rebate of their choosing.

If PCH wants to eliminate rebates, they need to say so. Obviously after PCH's discussions with their TA's they have chosen the route that has been taken and rebates are just fine if within the rules.

You've said it much better than me. Thank you Rallydave. For a moment I thought I was living in an episode of the Twilight Zone.

Having spent well in excess of $100,000 with a single agent who once gave me $50 obc and this year begrudgingly gave me $200 ..... Hello, yes you can bet my bottom dollar I will be doing business with a differant TA in the future!!

Every cruise (and other Travel) has been booked and researched by me and reservation then turned over to someone who always said "I was the easiest client" ya well I get it now.... And better yet she is closed on week-ends with no back up... So if you have a week-end problem you are on your own!!

Thank you CC Regent posters for educating a girl who thought she was pretty smart!

Oh, come on Nana! Don't you want to contribute to your TAs pension ?? How greedy can you be?? LOL! (in case there's any doubt, just joking!)

I spent my entire working career on commission, I believe that a job well done deserves compensation! I also believe I was foolish not to listen to other travelers over the years mentioning that they had an arrangement with their TA. I believe that both client and TA can benefit fairly. This TA has gotten the last buck off me and I guess that is all I have to say on the subject!

PS she was really pissed off about the $200 and I got it finally 3 weeks after I got home and it took several phone calls. Even at a 10% commission over the years I was nothing but a "cash cow" to this woman :(

Guess I have no one but myself to blame.

+1 RallyDave/Dave and Cruiseluv/Maria in response to Rlimbacher's post above--Rlimbacher has the choice to support the booking process he

believes in. We prefer (strongly) to support a TA that has a very generous rebate (as stated above by Dave, and also verified (rebates above 5% are allowed) in multiple conversations I have also had with our TA's owner.

Freddie,

The system that Regent uses, I believe, is generally the same booking policy Silversea uses. Both allow the client to transfer a booking to their TA of choice without compromising the commission Regent pays. However, if the client wants to change TA's after the booking is transferred (to protect the TA's business) Regent

protects the original TA's commission and will pay a reduced commission to the TA that a client wants to move their booking too. Crystal just adopted the

most stringent protective TA booking policy I'm aware of. If you book a Crystal cruise while on board for example, but decide to transfer the booking to another TA

besides the one on Crystal's records--the newest TA will get a reduced 5% commission.

I learned this technique from a long time seasoned Silversea sailor (Well seasoned) who has over 300 nights on Silversea. As he pointed out to me a few years ago, the SS travel consultant often hears of specials, price drops, refurb dates before even the most successful TA's do. Well Seasoned keeps his booking with SS to just prior to final payment to take advantage of any developments regarding his cruise that the SS consultant learns and applies to his booking. He then transfers his direct SS booking to his preferred TA and gets a very generous rebate. On the other hand, shortly (within 24-48 hrs) after I do our SS or Regent booking I transfer to our TA. Very much like Wellseasoned recommended, (even after we have transferred our booking--since we have developed good client relations with our SS or Regent direct booking pro) we found that our SS travel pro (we use the same person) alerts me when SS is having a special (e.g included biz 10% off on b2b, etc). Thus, we have two wonderful travel pro's (the SS or Regent direct booking pro, and our TA) to help get the most value out of our SS or Regent booking experience. I also have used the Regent direct booking pro, after our booking, to help organize multiple meet & mingles on board the Voyager, learn who our crew leadership is, clarify when our gold status came into being, etc. Yes, I could get these answers from our TA but get faster turn around time for our answers by going directly to the cruise line pro.

What credit do the cruise line direct booking consultants get? Can't answer specifically what credit means for the Regent Travel consultant now Freddie, but I did ask our Regent pro this question in early May, before we transferred our Mumbai to Bali booking to our TA, and the Regent pro said he gets credit for our booking. He then gladly transferred our booking to our preferred TA. We use this technique because in generall, we do most of the leg work prior to our SS or Regent cruise booking. We know what cabin we want and use the Regent website to book, we do our own air and hotel via our frequent flyer miles or hotel points. Unless Regent includes a pre cruise excursion (like the four day Taj Mahal) prior to our cruise in December--we also arrange our own pre cruise stay. We do not use Regent Transfers unless Regent offers a reasonable end of cruise tour that includes transfer to the airport as a last stop.

Our TA loves getting these direct transferred bookings as they require less work for her, than she performs processing a client's traditional booking

Finally, me thinks the system Regent and Silversea employ when you book a cruise on board (taking advantage of the on board Cruise consultant's knowledge to

select your next cruise) and then allows you to transfer the booking to the TA of your choice is similar to the system we now follow. However, the on board booking

process is sweetened even further as you will get an on board booking discount (often 5%, and on Silversea recently they offered 10% for on board booking discounts).

... I just expected more out of a Regent passenger not to treat the product like a Carnival cruise.

...No hard feelings on agreeing to disagree. We all love our Regent!

Yes indeed we do, or did, (love our Regent). But we pay big bucks for this "product", unlike most Carnival customers--all the more reason why we should seek any discount we can.

...Please, if you want to be holier than thou, go ahead. You will not guilt me as a Regent passenger for looking out to maximize my vacation $$$$.

This forum needs a "Like" button! :D

You should totally ignore it and carry on. If somebody wants to leave $$$ on the table, that's his/her business.

Hear hear!

These agreements you keep referring to are a figment of your imagination. The only thing Regent has requested from TAs via their published policy is that they do not ADVERTISE rebates/ discounts higher than 5%. Please, lets get the story straight!

What I would like to know is how they will define "advertising". Can a higher rebate be mentioned at all on their website, or can it only be word of mouth?

What I would like to know is how they will define "advertising". Can a higher rebate be mentioned at all on their website, or can it only be word of mouth?

Really interesting question as some TAs mention significantly sizeable group OBC benefits or "enhanced" rewards on certain sailings directly on their website. Regent must have no issue with that.

However let me reiterate that when I was on Mariner last December, our cabin neighbor used the same TA as we did and the OBC she received from our TA was significantly more than ours so there is variability across TAs as well as between clients using the same TA.

We found that interesting and did not feel bad as we assumed that she simply sailed more than us and was likely a preferred client. I think that TAs have considerable discretion in what they choose to give (OBC, Upgrades, Rebates...) and to whom.

Given we sail Regent a couple of times a year, I just want to know I am receiving value for being loyal to a cruiseline and to a TA that doesn't have to do too much to deliver a product. Like Wes, we do our own air, hotel, excursions, etc.

However let me reiterate that when I was on Mariner last December, our cabin neighbor used the same TA as we did and the OBC she received from our TA was significantly more than ours so there is variability across TAs as well as between clients using the same TA.

We found that interesting and did not feel bad as we assumed that she simply sailed more than us and was likely a preferred client. I think that TAs have considerable discretion in what they choose to give (OBC, Upgrades, Rebates...) and to whom.

Could it have been that this person booked earlier than you, or, even, later than you, and thus got a different "deal" from Regent or the TA's consortium affiliate?

Could it have been that this person booked earlier than you, or, even, later than you, and thus got a different "deal" from Regent or the TA's consortium affiliate?

No, as she specifically told us how the TA owner gave it to her and looks after her. She also mentioned receiving the same level of OBC on other cruises

We just assumed it was likely because she cruises more than we do

I hope you both have taken your business elsewhere, Nana and Tallship, where your business is more fully valued and appreciated.

I would be extremely displeased upon learning of such preferential treatment and I would make my feelings known to that TA and then sever my relationship with her/him.

There are so many TAs out there, worthy of loyalty if only one would do the legwork and research to seek them out. Why anyone would book with a TA who doesn't offer some kind of rebating is astounding. In addition, a TA who does not value and appreciate my business on a very regular basis is one I will sever a relationship with and move on to one who does.

In addition, I completely agree with Cruisluv's statements. If anyone wants to leave money on the table, so be it, as it is their choice to do so. My hard earned travel dollars won't be left on anyone's table.

No, as she specifically told us how the TA owner gave it to her and looks after her. She also mentioned receiving the same level of OBC on other cruises

We just assumed it was likely because she cruises more than we do

Wow. I'm not sure I would handle that--I bet if this is true the TA would be very displeased at her for disclosing this. But perhaps some hard questions need to get asked.

I hope you both have taken your business elsewhere, Nana and Tallship, where your business is more fully valued and appreciated.

I would be extremely displeased upon learning of such preferential treatment and I would make my feelings known to that TA and then sever my relationship with her/him.

Of course, a TA is free to do this sort of thing, but if true, I would certainly question the TA about it, and yes, perhaps take my business elsewhere.

Thanks so much to all of you who've shared your wisdom, experience, and advice on booking cruises. I've booked my second cruise on Regent for next spring. Our first was so perfect I didn't want to try another line.

BUT my TA experiences have been, well...like this:

First cruise, used a TA in my former city who was pretty good, belonged to Virtuoso. I paid for 4 cabins--we took our children and grandchildren. Didn't know about rebates, she gave us OBC of $150 pp.

Moved to another state. Found a Virtuoso agent in this city with great resume of experience as a TA. Called her, told her I wanted to book the Venice to Istanbul for April. She booked it. I didn't know about rebates, so didn't ask, nor did she mention. She did say Virtuoso would give me either a free excursion or OBC. (I know, I know, Regent excursions are free, which she didn't figure into her offer; she's used to Seabourn and SilverSea.) In a later email she said Regent, because we had cruised with Regent before, would give me $200 pp off the full price of the cruise. Wow! a whole $400!

2 questions:

(1) Should I ask her about a rebate or just keep this knowledge for my next cruise?

(2) How do I go about searching for a truly great TA who specializes in Regent, etc.? I know you can't give me names but can you give me strategies?

Cruiseluv and Tallship,

thanks so much for your advice. When I lived in Italy, I had no trouble bargaining for everything; now I may be too much of a wimp to ask my current TA for a rebate. If I do it--and I'm successful, I'll owe it to you and I'll let you know.

In the meantime, I'll start doing more homework. thanks again. I hope to meet you on a cruise sometime.

Quester,

I totally understand the discomfort with bargaining. That's why i would not have suggested that as a course of action with your current TA. Its obvious that's not the way they do business (ie give rebates) or she/ he would have offered it to you.

Good luck! Pls keep us posted.

Thanks so much to all of you who've shared your wisdom, experience, and advice on booking cruises. I've booked my second cruise on Regent for next spring............

2 questions:

(1) Should I ask her about a rebate or just keep this knowledge for my next cruise?

(2) How do I go about searching for a truly great TA who specializes in Regent, etc.? I know you can't give me names but can you give me strategies?

1. Yes and if you don't get at least the 5%, cancel and rebook, (or rebook and cancel) with another agent. So you need to ask around from other you know that have booked lux travel..

2. IMO, The very best agents do not advertise at all and usually take new business by referral only from current clients. They do not want to hold hands, but will provided extraordinary levels of service for their loyal clients.

j

Agree with those who posted that each individual has the right to leave $ on the table if they so choose and it makes them feel good.

Me? I can't afford to. and even if I could, I find it bizarre not to negotiate the best deal for a vacation product the same as any other product ( a car, a house, etc). That doesn't mean that I begrudge TAs their due. I guess I just believe that for me, personally, a 10 minute phone call (at most) hardly warrants a 17% (and possibly more) amount of commission.

I do my own research (extensive), do all bookings outside of the actual cruise (air, private excursions, train tickets, etc) my own hand-holding when necessary (flights cancelled, delayed, etc), so I when I am ready to book I basically call the agents(s) and say, this is the cruise I want. What do I get from you by allowing you to make the 5 minutes (at most) pressing of keys on the keyboard? I also expect them to use their influence from their volume with the particular cruise line to get me possible freebies (for which they are not paying).

I make a couple of sweeps through to make sure there is no money left on the table, and off we go. My agent loves me, and I love her, but only because of our financial arrangement. I am not married to her, and if anyone can do better for me with their 5 minutes of time, I'm willing to cheat. My TA knows this. We respect each other.

Of course, that's just me, because I am a very independent traveler.

As of today, until or if rules change, don't accept less than 10% rebate and possibly more amenities in addition to the rebate.

Took me a little bit to catch on, but after 2 Crystal cruises (to me mucho money) in which the agent, who had a darling personality but offered me very little, and I discovered via CC people that I should be smacked upside the head, well. . .she has never received another call from me. She has lost much $ in order to save some. Dumb on her part, me thinks.

I am not going to argue. It's a fact.

Agree with those who posted that each individual has the right to leave $ on the table if they so choose and it makes them feel good.

Me? I can't afford to. and even if I could, I find it bizarre not to negotiate the best deal for a vacation product the same as any other product ( a car, a house, etc). That doesn't mean that I begrudge TAs their due. I guess I just believe that for me, personally, a 10 minute phone call (at most) hardly warrants a 17% (and possibly more) amount of commission.

I do my own research (extensive), do all bookings outside of the actual cruise (air, private excursions, train tickets, etc) my own hand-holding when necessary (flights cancelled, delayed, etc), so I when I am ready to book I basically call the agents(s) and say, this is the cruise I want. What do I get from you by allowing you to make the 5 minutes (at most) pressing of keys on the keyboard? I also expect them to use their influence from their volume with the particular cruise line to get me possible freebies (for which they are not paying).

I make a couple of sweeps through to make sure there is no money left on the table, and off we go. My agent loves me, and I love her, but only because of our financial arrangement. I am not married to her, and if anyone can do better for me with their 5 minutes of time, I'm willing to cheat. My TA knows this. We respect each other.

Of course, that's just me, because I am a very independent traveler.

As of today, until or if rules change, don't accept less than 10% rebate and possibly more amenities in addition to the rebate.

Took me a little bit to catch on, but after 2 Crystal cruises (to me mucho money) in which the agent, who had a darling personality but offered me very little, and I discovered via CC people that I should be smacked upside the head, well. . .she has never received another call from me. She has lost much $ in order to save some. Dumb on her part, me thinks.

I am not going to argue. It's a fact.

I could not agree with you more! Great post!

Quester2 - Keep asking questions, don't be afraid to ask for rebating, because rebating is definetly out there, and ask those in the know for referrals. You will not be disappointed. No reason, whatsoever, to pay full fares when there are wonderful deals to be had. Best of luck in your search.

Hi Mimito4,

T, absolutely agree w/NYFEDS/denise, very nice post. And in some bookings, competitive TA's can provide 12-15% rebates depending on the leverage their travel consortium (virtuoso, Ensemble, Signature) also brings to the table w/regards your booking. Am absolutely amazed posters on this thread accept less than 5% rebates as a mark of good value (and don't care if their TA drives them to the airport for their cruise, at the scale of $$ for lux cruises, significant dollars are left with the TA vs the client if the rebate/discount is 5% or less)

Freddie. I think your puzzlement arises from looking at the "double dipping" issue from the standpoint of labor inputs, in other words the Regent rep did the work, and the TA got paid.

When you look at it from a different perspective it may make more sense. A Regent employee did what he is paid (a salary, with maybe some chance at a budgetable bonus for good performance) to do, namely sell Regent's product and service the customers. A sale resulted. The total expense to Regent is exactly the same as if the TA had done all the work. They key is that the sale got closed and the expense of the sale was in line with the expense budget.

Another angle on the situation is if, I can book on board with a cruise consultant then transfer to my TA, I am more likely to make that booking and take the cruise. After all, I have a relationship with my TA, who will work to close the deal, whereas I may never see or speak with the cruise consultant again. So, the result is more sales than if you were not allowed to transfer onboard bookings to your own TA.

So despite the apparent "unfairness" of one person doing the work and another getting paid, there are some reasons why this double dipping arrangement makes financial sense for Regent.

Archived