Opinions on QM2 Todd Engilsh

The Old Young Man

Hi all,

As you may see, I'm rather new here and will introduce myself in the future. It's been a pleasure to see many helpful discussions here.

I've taken a handful of QM2 round trip TAs every year since 2006, but have not been to Todd English since 2009. I was quite delighted with it the earlier years, but since there have been changes in fees and inevitable changes in popularity, ect., how does the experience feel and is it worth a lunch? Any and all comments and stories are greatly appreciated, especially stuff since the a la carte change.

Regards,

Dave

You should probably try it yourself to see if you like it. I went there for lunch back in February and found the food to be very average. The service was okay, nothing special. I probably won't go again, unless I get bored and decide to go once more to see if it's improved.

Our lunch companion used to be in the catering trade and she remained behind after the meal to provide some feedback.

The portions are big. The view is of deck 8 and the pool.

Having said this, some regulars go quite a bit and they usually report that they like it. So really, it is something you probably need to try yourself to see if you like it.

You should probably try it yourself to see if you like it. I went there for lunch back in February and found the food to be very average. The service was okay, nothing special. I probably won't go again, unless I get bored and decide to go once more to see if it's improved.

Our lunch companion used to be in the catering trade and she remained behind after the meal to provide some feedback.

Having said this, some regulars go quite a bit and they usually report that they like it. So really, it is something you probably need to try yourself to see if you like it.

Thanks,

But the service must have had some serious slippage since it merited feedback? I kinda remember them being somewhat over attentive.... But over my next TA ( this Sunday, horay!), I'll have around a dozen opportunities lunches and I may try it out regardless.

We tried TE for lunch one day this winter. We weren't thrilled. It wasn't bad, just not worth the time spent sitting there. Whitemarsh is right about the view. We were near a window, with a view of loungers. It did give me some insight into chair hogging--several towels and books were enjoying the sea air without a human for company. It would have been nice it they'd found a place with an ocean view (but then I think the Grills have a poor view, too).

Portions are huge. We were used to the smaller portions in the MDR (which allows you to have multiple courses), and found it nearly impossible to get through a starter and a main course. Dessert was out of the question.

It wasn't very busy the day we went, so it felt like there were as many or more servers as diners. I can't describe it well, sort of a stilted ambiance, if that makes sense.

I agree with all the above, As a Diamond member I get a free lunch on a sea day, very nice, otherwise I dont think I would bother, and many people dont, its always quiet there.

The lunch was always was once $20 for the meal if you did not a loyalty freebie, now you have to pay for every course and they average from $5 to $7, that would I feel put even more people off

My most recent visit (for dinner) was on a QM2 WB Transatlantic last summer.

Having enjoyed all my previous visits I was disappointed: the food was as good as always, but the service was over-attentive and as for the atmosphere... I've experienced warmer, more welcoming atmospheres in cold waiting rooms at minor railway stations on a wet Tuesday in February.

I introduced four other passengers, who were travelling with me, to Todd English that night, not one said they would be going again, despite how good the food was.

As the restaurant is smaller than either of the Grills, and for dinner, all passengers have to pay to eat there, EVERYTHING about the place should be outstanding, memorable and beyond praise (just as in the Grill rooms on QM/QE/QE2). Sadly, despite my previous superb dinners there, they've let the place get stale and tired, and they NEED TO CHANGE THE MENU, IMHO.

So much so, that on my subsequent QM2 voyage last year, a wonderful cruise with friends, I didn't even think of suggesting dinner there.

As QM2 will soon be ten years old, time for a change please Cunard.

I hope this helps.

My most recent visit (for dinner) was on a QM2 WB Transatlantic last summer.

Having enjoyed all my previous visits I was disappointed: the food was as good as always, but the service was over-attentive and as for the atmosphere... I've experienced warmer, more welcoming atmospheres in cold waiting rooms at minor railway stations on a wet Tuesday in February.

I introduced four other passengers, who were travelling with me, to Todd English that night, not one said they would be going again, despite how good the food was.

As the restaurant is smaller than either of the Grills, and for dinner, all passengers have to pay to eat there, EVERYTHING about the place should be outstanding, memorable and beyond praise (just as in the Grill rooms on QM/QE/QE2). Sadly, despite my previous superb dinners there, they've let the place get stale and tired, and they NEED TO CHANGE THE MENU, IMHO.

So much so, that on my subsequent QM2 voyage last year, a wonderful cruise with friends, I didn't even think of suggesting dinner there.

As QM2 will soon be ten years old, time for a change please Cunard.

I hope this helps.

Thanks Pepperrn and all of you for that matter,

I think I agree, above all, that Cunard should create a "Verandah"-esque venue regardless. Looking at Todd English's news over the past few years, he has indeed gone from bomb to bust. I wonder how long and legally binding the contract is?

We dined at TE's two years ago as we had brought a great bottle of wine* onboard with us and felt that TE would be best setting to enjoy it. The food was good, but not great. We are familiar with TE restaurants here in Boston (we took cooking classes from him years ago) and the food was definitely not up to his normal standards.

We mentioned it to him one day when we saw him here at home. He told us that he designed the menu and set forth the cooking guidelines for the dishes, but he obviously can't control the quality.

It's a shame as his home-base restaurants are very good even though he's no longer top-dog here in Boston. His original place, Olive's, recently reopened after a fire closed it for years. As I am writing this I am making plans to check it out soon.

*FYI-The wine was a 1986 Ch Margaux.

Hi all,

As you may see, I'm rather new here and will introduce myself in the future. It's been a pleasure to see many helpful discussions here.

I've taken a handful of QM2 round trip TAs every year since 2006, but have not been to Todd English since 2009. I was quite delighted with it the earlier years, but since there have been changes in fees and inevitable changes in popularity, ect., how does the experience feel and is it worth a lunch? Any and all comments and stories are greatly appreciated, especially stuff since the a la carte change.

Regards,

Dave

We're from New England & have been to some of his restaurants several times. We found the food in the restaurant on QM2 to be excellent.(2010)The menu has been updated somewhat, but it realiy needs total revamping. Even though we liked the food, I've heard nothing but praise for Veranda. Time for a change??

It wasn't very busy the day we went, so it felt like there were as many or more servers as diners. I can't describe it well, sort of a stilted ambiance, if that makes sense.

That's a really good description of the atmosphere. It certainly wasn't busy on the day we went for lunch. Prior to the lunch, I had tried to make a booking for ten people for dinner, but was told that it was booked out. With hindsight, I now do not believe that Todd English completely books out of an evening - every chair taken. I plan to take a peek inside TE one evening when I am next onboard, to see how busy, or not, they do get.

That's a really good description of the atmosphere. It certainly wasn't busy on the day we went for lunch. Prior to the lunch, I had tried to make a booking for ten people for dinner, but was told that it was booked out. With hindsight, I now do not believe that Todd English completely books out of an evening - every chair taken. I plan to take a peek inside TE one evening when I am next onboard, to see how busy, or not, they do get.

On QM2 in August 2008, Todd English took a booking for dinner for a party of 12, that I was a part of (this was a "sea day"). We booked this two days ahead if I remember correctly.

As I remember it, they suggested a relatively early time (around 7pm). They ran several tables together in the middle of the restaurant, so we could all dine together (something we were unable to do in the Britannia Restaurant), and there were very few other passengers in the restaurant at the time. The food was excellent, the service very good (two tiny mistakes).

Considering the price of TE alone, I guess I may put that money into a spa passport. It's kinda the exact opposite of those enormous portions! I'd rather sweat it out and enjoy it. The Brittania has always been enjoyable to me anyway.

Sounds like a good choice. I went to TE because I get a free lunch there. OK, so it isn't really free--I've paid for it with all those past Cunard bookings. Anyhow, I'd happily turn in the free lunch for a discount on the spa passport, just to use the thalassotherapy pool.

I had lunch there again two weeks ago and really enjoyed it. The fig flatbread and the sirloin cob were great. Service was fine.

I was not particularly a fan of this restaurant when the ship came out but over the years, I have come to like it quite a lot. In particular, I like the contrasting flavors in the various dishes.

What are the current prices?

Thanks

Roy

Roy, there is a per dish charge which if you have 3 courses comes to more or less $20, I was told that this was introduced because people who only wanted 2 courses thought that it was unfair to have a fixed price.

On our Jan.Panama trip TE was nearly empty at night(QV)On that trip everything was Ala Carte, which could get pretty pricey if you do "soup to nuts". We passed on TE this time around.

On our Jan.Panama trip TE was nearly empty at night(QV)On that trip everything was Ala Carte, which could get pretty pricey if you do "soup to nuts". We passed on TE this time around.

I believe that you would be hard pressed to spend more than $25 on three courses and the TE menu has been a la carte since the November refit.

Archived