Can we bring on board....

PGBSAB

With all of the changes in the air conditioning I was wondering if we could bring a small portable electric fan for the room. I usually pack this in my suitcase when I travel by car since sometimes the rooms are quite stuffy and the air movement helps. I tried bringing one on princess and they took it...don't understand that, could brind curling irons, dryers etc, but not a fan because it was an electrical fire hazzard. :cool: Can anyone tell me if Carnival allows them?

Honestly, it will depend on the people at the port. Carnival's FAQ say you can bring it if it poses no threat, meaning basically brand new with no fraying wires, etc. I've taken a small personal fan on all of my cruises. Only once (Sensation, Port Canaveral) did they take it from my carry on bag saying it was not allowed. I had the print out from the Carnival website saying as long as it wasn't frayed or looked dangerous that I could have it, they didn't care. I did get it back at the end of my cruise, after a little prodding. (Details in my Sensation review).

Bottom line, buy a new one and use it strictly for cruising and you should be fine... barring an overzealous/power hungry person manning the scanners at the port.

Enjoy your cruise!

My wife has a small, maybe 5" square fan for cruising that i think we paid maybe $10 for. It fits perfectly in the checked luggage in the origanal box. We have had no issue's yet.

Agree with the above post, it all depends on the Barny Fife at Security.

Some just dont care and will instill their Will over yours. And who wins then? ;)

I would not put too much $$ into the fan, just incase you have to surrender it at the port. MHO.

I am also wondering what you mean by the changes to the air conditioner. The only problem I have ever had was that it is too cold in the room and I want to be able to get it warmer and a fan won't help that. But I know people like having a fan for white noise to help them sleep. I would think it should be okay since it doesn't have a heating element in it. If they allow curling irons and blow dryers, they should allow that and I would challenge it if they refuse.

I have taken a $10 10 inch square Walmart fan on both of our cruises and plan to again on this next one unless it cant fit. The first cruise we didn't need but a CC friend borrowed it one night when in got really hot in their room sitting in port when the air flow seems to really be less then when we are moving. The second trip we did not need it but our daughter and her friend in their inside cabin used it. Very small room and the bathroom shower heated up the room even with the bathroom vent running. I would just rather be prepared than sorry.

I also take the fan from Walmart, it folds flat and is battery operated. I have taken it on two cruises and they never questioned it, this is leaving from Galveston. The fact that it is battery operated gets past that whole electrical issue that they can hit you with.

Archived