Carnival Splendor Review/Any Questions?

vcgeno

We are planning to go on the Splendor May 2013, when it moves to New York. Does anyone know if there are any changes planned for the ship before it's repositioning?

Splendor had a dry dock date in December to add sme 2.0 venues but it was cancelled. We were not happy since we are sailing her to NYC and would have enjoyed a Guy's burger.

Can you tell me more about Tabasco's... food/ service/ water sports available/ atmosphere/ etc?

Thank you for the review!

It was OK but quite frankly we were a bit disappointed. Not many lounge chairs and the the ones they had were old and and disrepair. We thought we would get away from the beach vendors by being at the far end of the beach but there were still plenty of them. Prices and food were good. Good place to people watch. Never been anywhere else on the beach so I don't know if this is typical.

Splendor had a dry dock date in December to add sme 2.0 venues but it was cancelled. We were not happy since we are sailing her to NYC and would have enjoyed a Guy's burger.
Splendor is not scheduled to get Guy's anyway, just RedFrog Rum Bar, Blue Iguana Tequila Bar, Punchliners Comedy Club & Brunch presented by George Lopez, and DJ IRIE Spin’versity. See http://www.carnival.com/Funville/blogs/faqs/archive/2011/10/05/what-is-the-fun-ship-2-0-implementation-schedule.aspx. Interesting the only week in Q 4 not listed for a sailing is Oct. 28, can they be trying to do the upgrade in 1 week?

Enjoy

Ron

Splendor is not scheduled to get Guy's anyway, just RedFrog Rum Bar, Blue Iguana Tequila Bar, Punchliners Comedy Club & Brunch presented by George Lopez, and DJ IRIE Spin’versity. See http://www.carnival.com/Funville/blogs/faqs/archive/2011/10/05/what-is-the-fun-ship-2-0-implementation-schedule.aspx. Interesting the only week in Q 4 not listed for a sailing is Oct. 28, can they be trying to do the upgrade in 1 week?

Enjoy

Ron

The only change I would like to see made is a bigger Serenity deck.

When did it get cancelled?Anyone know why?We want to sail her next year after the enhancements.Is Carnival still planning on doing them?

Laura

Enjoy

Ron

There is a full ship charter for the October 28th cruise.

If anybody is interested sailing for Halloween on the Splendor

Anyone know if the CCL is replacing the Splendor in Long Beach or are they giving up on the 7 day Mexico itinerary?

The Miracle sails in March from NYC thru the canal to Long Beach.

7 day Winter sailings only to Mexico, some Hawaii trips, and summers in Alaska. The West coast has lost its cruise clout.

No scheduled Splendor enhances yet.

Do you remember what gym classes were offered on the ship? I went through the fun times on John's blog but no classes were listed :(

They had a morning stretching class at 7, at least 3 yoga classes, a $120 four day boot camp, and others that I do not recall.

They had a morning stretching class at 7, at least 3 yoga classes, a $120 four day boot camp, and others that I do not recall.

Perfect! I was looking mostly for the bootcamp class and am glad they do offer it. Thanks!

Perfect! I was looking mostly for the bootcamp class and am glad they do offer it. Thanks!

I tried the boot camp class and I was 20 years older and 40 pounds heavier then anyone else in the class. Nearly killed me.

So excited to hear they have a boot camp! It's the only way I can eat chocolate melting cake every night!!

So excited to hear they have a boot camp! It's the only way I can eat chocolate melting cake every night!!

They work you so hard you may see that cake again in the morning.

They work you so hard you may see that cake again in the morning.

LOL!

I did the boot camp on the Celebrity Eclipse in April and it was wayyy harder than my usual workout. But then again, I was eating and drinking wayyy more than I usually do, so I suffered through it.

While I don't really look forward to it, I'm glad they have it for me to do. Makes me enjoy the cruise food and drink a lot more!

When were the classes held? Sea days? AM or PM?

Thanks for the info!

LOL!

I did the boot camp on the Celebrity Eclipse in April and it was wayyy harder than my usual workout. But then again, I was eating and drinking wayyy more than I usually do, so I suffered through it.

While I don't really look forward to it, I'm glad they have it for me to do. Makes me enjoy the cruise food and drink a lot more!

When were the classes held? Sea days? AM or PM?

Thanks for the info!

They had it at 9 or 10 AM on sea days (3 of them) and at 4:30 on Cabo Day II after it left port.

What? We paid all this money to get bossed around by some drill sergeant?

Jim

Yep. Everyone has their own idea of fun. I could not walk the two days in Cabo because of the boot camp. Part of the boot camp (outside of the exercise classes) is they hook you up to a machine, they do a body analysis (fat, hydration, ect.) and then try to sell you a fairly expensive body detoxificatin products. That hurt more then the class.

They had it at 9 or 10 AM on sea days (3 of them) and at 4:30 on Cabo Day II after it left port.

That works, I guess. Same as the ones I've done previously.

I just go at my own pace in these things- tune out the yelling! With the amount I'll eat and drink, I figure it's my penance!

Thanks for the info!

What was your favorite thing about the spa? Did they have a mud grotto??

We just got back yesterday. My husband and I did the mud grotto. It was called Rasul I think. It was about 50 minutes and we enjoyed it very much.

And, like the OP, we really enjoyed the Las Caletas excursion. I highly recommend. It was my favorite part of the cruise.

(Again, like the OP, we avoided the Lido deck as much as possible. In fact, after reading the original post, I'm pretty sure the OP and I would be friends if we ever met on the boat. We just wanted to relax and get away from the crowds.)

Any pictures? I will be sailing on 9/30 its hard to find new Splendor reviews.

No Reviews, but plenty of pics on my WEBSHOTS site (below). I've cruised the SPLENDOR 3 times. Loved the ship.

Incidentally, the aft pool and 2 jacuzzis on the Aft Lido deck are ADULT only, so there won't be many kids there and you may avoid them there. The main pool below the MUTS screen is mayhem during the day.

Also, there are TWO Serenity areas (one on each side of the ship). One (I believe the starboard side) has its own bar. :)

Incidentally, the aft pool and 2 jacuzzis on the Aft Lido deck are ADULT only, so there won't be many kids there and you may avoid them there. The main pool below the MUTS screen is mayhem during the day.

Also, there are TWO Serenity areas (one on each side of the ship). One (I believe the starboard side) has its own bar. :)

We tried the adults only area in the back of the ship but still found it too loud and the no kids thing (at least they day we tried) was not enforced. I forgot to mention that there were two sides to the Serenity area. Combined it is about 25% this size of the wraparound Serenity area on the Dream.

We just got back yesterday. My husband and I did the mud grotto. It was called Rasul I think. It was about 50 minutes and we enjoyed it very much.

And, like the OP, we really enjoyed the Las Caletas excursion. I highly recommend. It was my favorite part of the cruise.

(Again, like the OP, we avoided the Lido deck as much as possible. In fact, after reading the original post, I'm pretty sure the OP and I would be friends if we ever met on the boat. We just wanted to relax and get away from the crowds.)

We did Las Caletas our last tiime down there in April with Disney, probably the best excusrion I have ever done on any ship. We swam with the seals too! So much fun!

The Rasul is widely known on Disney ships for couples time to.....um...reconnect

Archived