Hotel Seattle

messymarie

well, you could stay at just about any with a vacancy, :-) but as far as recommendations I have a couple suggestions for you...

The Marriott Waterfront is a beautiful new hotel right on, you guessed it, the waterfront! It is across the street from a cruise ship terminal BUT NOT HAL's terminal, you would need a cab to take you there.

I have heard that the 'W' is a very nice hotel as is the Hyatt. Both are new and right downtown, close to everything.

There is a botique hotel called the Alexis, my mother-in-law stayed there last year, and it is very nice with huge rooms, aveda products.

I am sure a few other fellow seattle-ites such as shipcafe have some more great suggestions. Enjoy your time in the Emerald City, and of course, on your cruise!

You might try the Best Western Pioneer Square. 5 minute cab ride to the terminal, but downtown. Very friendly staff, breakfast and nice rooms.

a couple respectful comments about the best western, or at least the location of it. this is very close to where I work. I would want anyone staying there, especially on the weekends to know that it is in a bit of a rowdy area once the sun goes down, not really unsafe but you would want to use a little more caution in pioneer square after dark than perhaps in some other areas of the city. I am sure the hotel itself is fine.

My favorite hotel is Seattle is the Edgewater -- it is unique -- it is built out over the water on pier 67 (next door to where the NCL ships come and go but a cab ride to where HAL docks -- and the Victoria Clipper docks are on the other side of the hotel)

This is a boutique hotel, low rise (only four stories) -- if you get a waterfront room you are right on the water -- view similar to that you would get from a cruise ship (The Beatles, when in Seattle in the '60's went fishing directly from the windows of this hotel) -- the bar and restaurant have a full wall of windows that look out over the water with views that are incredible and as changeable from day to day and time to time as the Seattle weather.

The rooms are cozy, heated in winter by a gas fireplace with the aid of an air circulation system. Each room has two huge, comfy chairs facing the fireplace and a stuffed bear between them for a footrest. My sister lives in Seattle and when I take my 89 year old mother to visit we always stay at the Edgewater -- the people there and the service are fantastic -- it is well located to all the waterfront attractions -- if you like to walk, Pike Place Market is not all that far -- and the hotel runs a courtesy van service that will drop you at the Market, local restaurants, etc.

In season, however, the room can be pricey but internet bargains are sometimes available. The Edgewater is a unique Seattle experience. Someone on this board a few months ago said that you can find a hotel in Seattle, or you can stay in Seattle at the Edgewater.

well, you could stay at just about any with a vacancy, :-) but as far as recommendations I have a couple suggestions for you...

The Marriott Waterfront is a beautiful new hotel right on, you guessed it, the waterfront! It is across the street from a cruise ship terminal BUT NOT HAL's terminal, you would need a cab to take you there.

!

We stayed at the Marriot and loved it! We requested a balcony room that faced the ship dock. Sure enough we were able to see an NCL ship dock right in front of us. We were also able to see the other ships come in, including the Amersterdam, which we were boarding later that day.

When you book, be sure and request a balcony room facing the dock.

I would suggest the Red Lion Seattle South. Great cruise/park package. Nothing special with the hotel but for about $130/couple - overnight stay, breakfast in the AM, free parking for up to 14 days and transport to the pier and back. A great deal

We are driving up the day before we cruise and spending the day around Seattle playing. This way there is no hassle about parking down at the pier.:D

I am still torn between Hyatt Seattle which has many amenities that I like - especially in one of their Suites, we are staying with the kids and we can have a seperate room, plus the Cheesecake Factory is right there -

We are debating staying at the Edgewater.

Peaches, I know you have stayed at the Edgewater and I've heard both good and not so good, especially if there is a wedding or some other type event happening at the same time. Have you ever encountered any type of problem or felt is was very crowded?

We have made a reservation at the Hyatt - but still not certain what we will end up doing. :confused:

Just saw your post. No, we have never felt crowded at the Edgewater or been there when there was an event like a wedding, but I'm sure there are some. I know you would have looked at the Edgewater website, which shows lots of pictures and very well describes the property and amenities. The ownership also has other fine resorts across the country shown on the website which you might know.

Truly, I don't know what else to tell you. You are comparing a hotel unique to Seattle with its Puget Sound waterfront location against a downtown city hotel. Obviously we prefer the Edgewater, but that doesn't make it right for you. I do laugh about the Cheesecake Factory though. We have one 2 miles from the house and its no big attraction here at all, so I just can't compare a typical American hamburger/pasta restaurant to eating fresh seafood on the Seattle waterfront, but only you know what your family likes. Wherever you stay I'm sure you will love Seattle. ;)

I grew up in the Northwest, and we would always stay in Red Lion Hotels for softball tournaments, school club trips, etc. I was always so excited to stay in a Red Lion. It brings me back! That package sounds great!

I have stayed at the Edgewater when there were large parties -- at those times the parking lot is VERY full, but the valets never complain about taking a car from a hotel guest -- it always gets parked somewhere! When there is a party, wedding, or event it is usually in one of the banquet rooms upstairs so that the incredible bar, and the restaurant have only normal traffic. The lobby and elevators may be a bit crowded during those periods. The guest rooms are always quiet, especially if you have a water view.

It is always a good idea to request a dinner reservation at the 6 7 restaurant because it can fill up any night.

My Seattle stay last summer was during the Hotel's "Fab Four" festival commemorating the time in the '60's when the Beatles stayed at the Edgewater. They had one event that was held in the dining room and bar area (a Beatles look alike band played and you had to pay if you wished to see them) -- during that time the dining room and bar were closed to all but thos who had purchased tickets -- it was after dinner hours.

None of this diminishes our enjoyment of this Hotel -- but everyone has those things that they consider important to them and I respect that.

My son and DIL live in Seattle and were married in an outdoor ceremony/reception right on the water on the island just past Bainbridge Island, across from Seattle. After the reception (grilled salmon, of course) here comes a sea plane landing at the dock, a surprise my son had arranged for the bride - transportation for them back to town to the Edgewater. Off they flew!

However, the whole East Coast family was staying there, too, so the newleyweds landed by sea plane, we took the ferry back and we all had a wonderful post-wedding supper with them at the Edgewater restaurant, looking out over the sound. Fond memories indeed of that hotel. :)

I live in Seattle and my recommendation would be to stay within walking distance of "downtown" and the Pike Place Market. There are many, many great restaurants, shops, Seattle Art Museum, the waterfront, that you can experience. You will still need to cab it to the pier. The Edgewater is on the North end of the waterfront and a fairly good walk to downtown. However, all that said and done, the Edgewaters claim to fame is that the Beatles stayed there many years ago and it has been said you can rent a fishing pole and fish from your room....OK, maybe I'm dating myself, doubt they still provide such an amenity. Hope this helps !

I do laugh about the Cheesecake Factory though. We have one 2 miles from the house and its no big attraction here at all, so I just can't compare a typical American hamburger/pasta restaurant to eating fresh seafood on the Seattle waterfront, but only you know what your family likes.

My kids love it - we can take it or leave it... it is not on our list of places to eat, but when they are with us, we do try to accomodate them.

DH & I will be eating fresh seafood - my choice always. I should have clarified.

Thanks for your insight.

I live in Seattle and my recommendation would be to stay within walking distance of "downtown" and the Pike Place Market. There are many, many great restaurants, shops, Seattle Art Museum, the waterfront, that you can experience. You will still need to cab it to the pier. The Edgewater is on the North end of the waterfront and a fairly good walk to downtown.

Hope this helps !

Thanks for your help - this is what I was looking for - it's been years since I've spent any time in Seattle and I've forgotten much. I would like to visit Pike Place Market and stay within walking distance of downtown attractions. :)

I do laugh about the Cheesecake Factory though. We have one 2 miles from the house and its no big attraction here at all, so I just can't compare a typical American hamburger/pasta restaurant to eating fresh seafood on the Seattle waterfront, but only you know what your family likes. Wherever you stay I'm sure you will love Seattle. ;)

I've never known a Cheesecake Factory without a wait! We used to live near Baltimore, and the location there always had a 2 hour wait! Now I live in Virginia Beach, where they built one last year. It is still a long wait to get in! I also had to wait quite a while at one in Arizona. Perhaps it is like Krispy Kreme -- overhyped in the beginning, and then things calm down a bit as time passes. I would go more if the crowds died down.

There are many, many great restaurants- Quote- Haywood

I'm going to be in Seattle in October for a wedding and have read what a great 'restaurant city' it is- Asian, Pacific Rim, fresh seafood and so on. I have had some recommendations from friends, but would like your recs of restaurants downtown and on the waterfront. We love good food, so why not sample the best of the city for a few days.

Thanks Haywood.

We visit Seattle nearly every summer to see our son, DIL and grandson and always stay at the Silver Cloud, Lake Union. They have a wonderful included breakfast every morning (self serve), are across the street from many restaurants on the Lake and have a free shuttle service to various locations in the city. The rooms are very nice, especially those with the Lake view.

I live in Seattle and love to travel, cruise and eat good food and hope you find this information helpful. The Silver Cloud on Lake Union is close to many restaurants but is not close to downtown attractions. The Hyatt is very nice and new and located in a prime downtown location. The Edgewater is a classic Seattle waterfront hotel and you can't go wrong but the waterfront is a 6 block (or so) walk from say Pike Place Market but still in good prime location. As for hotels within walking distance to the HAL dock, forget it. The terminal is in the shipping/industrial area but will only be a short cab ride from downtown (much longer from Lake Union). As for restaurants, Dahlia Lounge (Sleepless in Seattle), El Gaucho (50's style steak house), Wild Ginger (trendy but hip thai) Flying Fish (northwest seafood), Anthony's Pier 66 (close to Edgewater and Marriott and good NW seafood) Cascadia (upscale), Carmine Il Terrazo (Italian, Pioneer square)and the list can go on and on.... These are all located in the downtown area and all within a reasonable cab fare but are not budget eats. I have many more suggestions and can give addresses and phone numbers so let me know if you need more info.

Also, the W Hotel is prime downtown location and has good prices for a deluxe accommodation. There are many small boutique styles as well (Alexis, Inn at the Market, Sorrento Hotel). Let me know is you need more recommendations.

Happy Cruising, Wendy

I would caution anyone with nostalgic memories of Red Lion that the brand was gutted in the Hilton merger (most of the ones you think of as "Red Lion" with the Northwest architecture and the low-rise buildings became Doubletree) and the brand has been attached to a bunch of properties that couldn't be any less distinguished. The location at the airport is actually pretty good, and the one on 5th Avenue is also reliable, but the one at Seattle South - Boeing Field is a dive. A former Holiday Inn of late 60s/early 70's design, rebranded any number of times, and utterly forgettable. My druthers would be to bid Priceline for the airport zone or Renton/Tukwila (spending about $35 plus tax) and drive myself to the pier to park for the $10-$12/day charge. While I'm pretty sure you won't get knifed at the RL Seattle South, I would not want to stay there - it's out in the sad industrial part of town, with very limited dining options, no shopping, no tourist attractions and no real merit.

Eric

We stayed at the Seattle Sheraton on May 6 and it was VERY nice-we got a Club Level room and breakfast and inernet service was complimentary. The Cheesecake Factory is right across the street. We had a great dinner there and only had about a 5 minute wait on Friday night. It is about a 4 block walk down to Pike's Market. Also, the Sheraton had a HAL and Grayline desk in the lobby!

Archived