Question from those who have cruised Carnival

beachnut41955

I apologize for posting this in the Princess board, but that is where I have been posting. A lady at my work is getting married on July 1. (Sunday). They have booked a Carnival Cruise (5 day from Boston to Halifax and St. John in Canada with 2 sea days) for their honeymoon. They will marry on Sunday and fly to Boston early on Monday morning to board the Carnival Glory in the afternoon. She has asked me to meet with her during lunch today to help her with some of the shore excursions, personalizer, etc. because I have cruised before - 3 on NCL and 1 recently on Princess. While I was driving home last night I happened to think that her driver's license and certified birth certificate will all still be in her maiden name and the cruise, I am sure, is booked in her married name. Since they will be entering Canada and to board the ship - will this be an issue? What do you all suggest? I am meeting with her at 11:30 this morning eastern time, and would appreciate any feedback so that I can steer her to what she might need to do. Thank you all for your help!

Shir

I can't speak for Canada/U.S. immigration, but I'd definitely take a copy of the marriage license.

Non-Canadians

When you enter Canada, a CBSA officer may ask to see your passport and a valid visa, if one is necessary. If you are a citizen of the United States, you do not need a passport to enter Canada. However, you should carry proof of your citizenship, such as a birth certificate, certificate of citizenship or naturalization, as well as photo identification. If you are a permanent resident of Canada or the U.S, you should bring your Permanent Resident Card with you.

http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/security-securite/admiss-eng.html

Re-entry (scroll down to "Travel Documents"):

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1082.html#entry_requirements

She should have booked her cruise in her maiden name, as names on ID and cruise are required to match. This is even more true of the airlines..She must have booked that in her maiden name to match her DL. EM

Thats what I would think. As long as the boarding pass name matches all the ID then there shouldn't be a problem. After all it does take time to change names around on paperwork. Make sure they all match and you will probably be OK.

I agree with the above posters, I was married during our cruise and had to continue to use my previous name until the final marriage license arrived. Then there is the process of changing name on social security card, driver's license, passport and all the other legal documents. I think it was a 2 month process before I had everything converted to my shiny new name legally. 😃 Your legal name is what is on driver's license and/or passport when traveling.

Archived