Jolly Beach

b4cruze

you can look up more on tripadvisor.com

you can see pictures there

and on google images

it is sooooooooo gorgous - and millions of shells

there is a public side that is free -- then there is a resort side that costs something for a chair

there is a food stand and a bar - in the middle

I would go back for the beauty --- I would go back for a land stay!

And I am picky about my beaches!

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I would skip the Jolly Resort and use the beautiful Jolly Beach which is free for all to use. You can rent a lounger and umbrella if you would like. There is also a beach bar for food and drink. Public restrooms also available. Beautiful beach.

I agree. The free side is so beautiful Have been there 3 times and will go again. 2 chairs and umbrella-$15. Beach restaurant is fantastic too. Clean restrooms and the view is the same as the resort.

• 1 month later...

Anyone know the cost of a cab ride to (the free) Jolly Beach? Would it be hard to find a cab back to the port? (I was thinking of the day pass but now sounds like the 'free' side might work given the ability to rent chair/umbrellas and use of some of the facilities along with food/drinks! :) )

Anyone know the cost of a cab ride to (the free) Jolly Beach? Would it be hard to find a cab back to the port? (I was thinking of the day pass but now sounds like the 'free' side might work given the ability to rent chair/umbrellas and use of some of the facilities along with food/drinks! :) )

Hi Froufie,

I would consider taking the local bus as it will be much cheaper (was $1US when we were last there in 2006) and a taxi will likely run you at least $20US. They run very frequently from the bus station.

Hi b4cruze,

Yes, there will be vendors who have SeaDoos for rent.

denise

Hi Froufie,

I would consider taking the local bus as it will be much cheaper (was $1US when we were last there in 2006) and a taxi will likely run you at least $20US. They run very frequently from the bus station.

Hi b4cruze,

Yes, there will be vendors who have SeaDoos for rent.

denise

Denise,

Can you tell me about how far is Jolly Beach from the port where the ship will dock and how long will it take us to get there by bus? We will be there in early November and i want to try and plan ahead. Also, someone on another board mentioned that there are areas on the island that are not safe. Hopefully, that is not near Jolly Beach? I appreciate any and all information you can give me about Jolly Beach since while we have been on several cruises, this is our first time in Antigua. If it is easier, anyone with any information can feel free to email me at

cruella@comcast.net

Thanks!

Denise,

Can you tell me about how far is Jolly Beach from the port where the ship will dock and how long will it take us to get there by bus? We will be there in early November and i want to try and plan ahead. Also, someone on another board mentioned that there are areas on the island that are not safe. Hopefully, that is not near Jolly Beach? I appreciate any and all information you can give me about Jolly Beach since while we have been on several cruises, this is our first time in Antigua. If it is easier, anyone with any information can feel free to email me at

cruella@comcast.net

Thanks!

Hi Cruella,

Like any city or place, there are areas that are not safe. We always stay on main streets (you can tell by the number of shops and people) and follow my guts.

The bus station is about at 5 to 10 minute from the port. Off the dock, continue straight to Market Street and turn right (South); the bus station will be on your left when you get to the Market. Ask for the stop for the bus to Jolly Beach and tell the bus driver where you are going - you don't pay until you get off. Then you will have a 5 minute walk or so from the road. The whole trip will take you about 45 minutes, depending on how many stops the bus needs to make. Jolly Beach a little ways from downtown, only a few miles the way the crow flies (the island is small), but the roads wind and traffic can be heavy depending on the hour so it takes much longer.

We felt very comfortable and safe walking in town and in Jolly Beach. We last stayed at the resort there and had no qualms walking out to the small shopping centre (where there are also a couple of nice restaurants) at night.

You may want to check out The Antiguan magazine which is also available on the Internet. Page 48 has a map of the island and page 87 has a map of downtown.

Hope this helps!

denise

Hi Cruella,

Like any city or place, there are areas that are not safe. We always stay on main streets (you can tell by the number of shops and people) and follow my guts.

The bus station is about at 5 to 10 minute from the port. Off the dock, continue straight to Market Street and turn right (South); the bus station will be on your left when you get to the Market. Ask for the stop for the bus to Jolly Beach and tell the bus driver where you are going - you don't pay until you get off. Then you will have a 5 minute walk or so from the road. The whole trip will take you about 45 minutes, depending on how many stops the bus needs to make. Jolly Beach a little ways from downtown, only a few miles the way the crow flies (the island is small), but the roads wind and traffic can be heavy depending on the hour so it takes much longer.

We felt very comfortable and safe walking in town and in Jolly Beach. We last stayed at the resort there and had no qualms walking out to the small shopping centre (where there are also a couple of nice restaurants) at night.

You may want to check out The Antiguan magazine which is also available on the Internet. Page 48 has a map of the island and page 87 has a map of downtown.

Hope this helps!

denise

Hi Denise

This is extremely helpful and for that I thank you. Now for more questions --- so, is there a free, pretty beach that is closer to the port that we can access easily also? I want to weigh all my options and frankly, we were hoping for a shorter distance to travel to go to a beach there.

I agree - one must always be aware of their environment and use common sense (which is not always common icon7.gif). Wwhile we are not clueless, I did get a little freaked by someone on the roll call for our sailing who stressed the danger on the Island. Thanks again, for taking the time to respond to me.

JD (aka Cruella)

Hi Denise

This is extremely helpful and for that I thank you. Now for more questions --- so, is there a free, pretty beach that is closer to the port that we can access easily also? I want to weigh all my options and frankly, we were hoping for a shorter distance to travel to go to a beach there.

JD (aka Cruella)

Hi JD,

All beaches are free and public in Antigua. It is access to them that may be a little complicated but the cabs drivers will know where to go. Chairs and umbrellas, usually set out by hotels or entrepreneurs, may cost you something.

For a closer beach, I would go north of St. John's to Dickenson & Runaway Bay. Fort James beach is there, as are many hotels such as Sandals and Halcyon by Rex Resorts. I would venture that these are about a 15 minute drive from the port. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the local buses in that area.

denise

The bus ride to Jolly has never taken us more than 30 minutes once it leaves the terminal. Of course you may have to wait a bit for the bus to leave since the drivers like to wait for the bus to fill up. How full the bus is when you arrive at the terminal will determine how long you'll have to wait. The longest we've waited for the bus to leave is 20 minutes but it's usually shorter. Also the bus fare is $1.50 per person. You will need either the #20 or #22 bus to get to Jolly. Bring exact change because the drivers will give you change in the local currency.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived