440 paces on QM2

bazzaw

For those who have never sailed on QM2, the most amazing thing for me is her size. We had an interior cabin on deck 6 - the most forward one there is on that deck. We could walk from our cabin, down the corridor to a door which led out onto an exterior deck. It seemed to be quite a long way to me - so one day I paced it out. I don't have the longest legs around - but I did 440 paces before I could open that door. :) One thing you quickly learn on QM2 - is to not forget to take some item with you from your cabin - because it is ALWAYS a long way to go back to get it!! :D I do often wonder how elderly/infirm people cope with it - I found it exhausting enough!! :rolleyes:

Barry

I do often wonder how elderly/infirm people cope with it - I found it exhausting enough!! :rolleyes:

Barry

Barry, stick around long enough and you will find out. Any one who has walked the corridors on any big ship is familiar with the elderly passenger toiling manfully along to dinner. We were once told by a ship doctor that a cruise ship is one of the "best" places to have a heart attack as help can be with you in minutes. Ships are very reassuring places to be for the elderly.

David.

For those who have never sailed on QM2, the most amazing thing for me is her size. We had an interior cabin on deck 6 - the most forward one there is on that deck. We could walk from our cabin, down the corridor to a door which led out onto an exterior deck. It seemed to be quite a long way to me - so one day I paced it out. I don't have the longest legs around - but I did 440 paces before I could open that door. :) One thing you quickly learn on QM2 - is to not forget to take some item with you from your cabin - because it is ALWAYS a long way to go back to get it!! :D I do often wonder how elderly/infirm people cope with it - I found it exhausting enough!! :rolleyes:

Barry

Last time I was on a cruise ship I found I gained no weight. I ate a lot but spent a lot of time walking and taking stairs (the lifts are always too crowded). Sounds like I can squeeze in an extra meal of two on the QM2!

Is the exterior deck you mention the bow of the ship? I understand you can walk out there?

We pick our stateroom for that reason.

We figure that we are more likely to make a quick room trip from the rear of the ship as that's where the dining room, Sir Samuels, Chart Room, G23 and Queens Room are located. So we aim for a cabin close to the D staircase.

Is the exterior deck you mention the bow of the ship? I understand you can walk out there?

I think the exterior deck Barry mentioned was the stern. Walking out on the bow? Yes and No. QM2 actually has I think 3 "bows", each with a barrier to tame rough seas. You can usually walk out on the most upper level on the promenade deck, although in high winds there are bulkheads that will close it off. On this "bow" you have a clear view forward, but there's a lower and more forward deck where the machinery for the lines is stored.

Roy

Archived