(Another) First-Timer Question

I've never been on a cruise before but I've narrowed it down to two options: Oasis of the Seas or Celebrity Reflection. What I'm looking for in my vacation is an impressive ship, a nice cabin, great food (on either ship I'll probably use the extra-cost dining) and good entertainment. I think I would prefer the entertainment on Oasis, but am concerned with the quality of the balcony cabins compared to Reflection (online pictures make Oasis balconies, especially the bed headboard, look really tacky/motelish). Also, I am not sure that Oasis is really that much more incredible than Reflection. But, it is the largest ship, so I'm just not sure. Which should I go with for my first cruise?

-Cross-posted on Celebrity boards.

Thank you CCers for steering me in the right direction.

I've cruised on Oasis and Solstice (sister ship to Reflection) and enjoyed both. If I had to choose one it would probably be Oasis because there is simply more to see and do than on the Solstice class ships. The entertainment on Oasis was superior. The Aqua Theater show is fantastic and the production of Hairspray excellent. My favorite feature of Oasis was Central Park. This is an area that simply can't be matched by the Solstice class ships. We found the food to be quite good. Did the Chef's Table and it was excellent, but didn't go to any of the other specialty dining venues. Want to do Giovanni's next time. Our D8 balony room was fine for us. The room on Solstice was slightly larger, but IMO there wasn't as much storage space. The layout of the Oasis room was much better storage-wise.

Bottom line...You really can't make a bad decision here. Both ships are very nice and both lines offer a quality product.

I've never been on a cruise before but I've narrowed it down to two options: Oasis of the Seas or Celebrity Reflection. What I'm looking for in my vacation is an impressive ship, a nice cabin, great food (on either ship I'll probably use the extra-cost dining) and good entertainment. I think I would prefer the entertainment on Oasis, but am concerned with the quality of the balcony cabins compared to Reflection (online pictures make Oasis balconies, especially the bed headboard, look really tacky/motelish). Also, I am not sure that Oasis is really that much more incredible than Reflection. But, it is the largest ship, so I'm just not sure. Which should I go with for my first cruise?

-Cross-posted on Celebrity boards.

Thank you CCers for steering me in the right direction.

Have not sailed the Reflection but I do have experience sailing Celebrity.

Celebrity is actually my favorite cruise line but you wouldn't know it because I keep sailing RCI. Right now I just love the Freedom amd Oasis class ships. Limited port-of-calls on the Oasis class ships is a problem.

IMO the food has always been better on Celebrity ships. The cabins I have had seem equal in size or close enough to make no difference.

Entertainment on Celebrity is good but no other cruise line can compete with the WOW factor of the Oasis class ships. On the other hand if you are a frequent cruiser the major entertainment is static and doesn't change for years so the WOW will go away.

I'd like to make the argument in the other direction - I'd go with Reflection.

To my thinking, doing Oasis as a 1st cruise is sort of like going to Caesar's Palace to find out it you like staying in a hotel: everything on Oasis is so over the top. Reflection would give you a chance to see how you like cruising, in a modern, medium-sized, highly-rated ship. Start with Oasis and every future cruise (except Allure) and you'll be thinking of the things that Oasis had that the current ship doesn't. I know I'm in the minority, but I found Oasis to be cruise overload.

Welcome! I do remember the excitement of my first cruise, and to be honest, the excitement leading up to numbers 2 through 7 as well. While I am an obsessive planner, you may be over thinking it. Headboards? I can't even remember if any of my beds had them, but I do remember sleeping great every night I've been on board. Pick one, then book the other for next year and come back and tell us what hindsight says.

I'm encouraging you to pick Reflection, only because I haven't been on it and want to hear about it.

Ship cabins are not like hotel rooms, so be prepared for that! While even the smallest cabins have storage, you don't get much "floor space"...unless you book a suite of some sort. I know when I took my first cruise, I was totally surprised at how teeny the cabin was, after staying in nice hotels on vacation! Just be prepared!

Archived