Concerned about poor reviews of food in QM2 Britannia

junglejane

Sorry Balf I said that. We had a guy a few years back who showed up for dinner(formal night)dressed in a wifebeater T shirt & shorts & sandals. Amazingly he was let in. I got the Maiter D's attention. His response was "We don't like to alienate customers". Well I was livid. What about those of us who pay a premium to enjoy the ambience? I told the guy to leave & get properly dressed. Yes, he gave me a snide remark, but he left.We never saw him return. His tablemates said he hated the dresscode & planned to flaunt it. The FDNY(fire dept. of NY)tatoo on his arm, hopefully didn't imply he was a firefighter. I'd like to think they're a lot more classy than that.I know I got in the guy's face about it, but if you don't, perhaps more will do the samething & before you know it Cunard will be a has been.

He shouldn't have been let in in the first place.

...His tablemates said he hated the dresscode & planned to flaunt it. The FDNY(fire dept. of NY)tatoo on his arm, hopefully didn't imply he was a firefighter...

If this guy indeed was a member of the FDNY, that's astonishing. They have a dress code for formal occasions. Promotion ceremonies are conducted in full dress uniform. But the more common "formal" occasion is the funeral of a colleague. You can be sure that dress code won't be flaunted at either one.

We had the same experience onboard the Queen Elizabeth where a number of guests flaunted the dress code and were allowed into the main restaurant. I sent a letter to Peter Shanks regarding this and the following is the reply from the Customer Relations Manager.

“You also refer to the dress code not being adhered to on board and I am sorry that you particularly found this to be disappointing on the semi-formal and formal nights. The matter of standards of dress in the restaurants is a particularly vexed question for, whilst we endeavour to persuade people to adhere to certain minimum standards of decency and formality, we do not feel that we can coerce them. You will appreciate that the circumstances of a restaurant in a ship are somewhat different from those ashore. The balance between persuasion and coercion is a delicate one but we do ask Head Waiters to endeavour to discourage people in a tactful manner from entering the restaurant for dinner inappropriately dressed. I regret the disappointment that you have described.”

If this is the policy from Cunard Head Office what is the point of having a dress code in the first place

Sorry Balf I said that. We had a guy a few years back who showed up for dinner(formal night)dressed in a wifebeater T shirt & shorts & sandals. Amazingly he was let in. I got the Maiter D's attention. His response was "We don't like to alienate customers". Well I was livid. What about those of us who pay a premium to enjoy the ambience? I told the guy to leave & get properly dressed. Yes, he gave me a snide remark, but he left.We never saw him return. His tablemates said he hated the dresscode & planned to flaunt it. The FDNY(fire dept. of NY)tatoo on his arm, hopefully didn't imply he was a firefighter. I'd like to think they're a lot more classy than that.I know I got in the guy's face about it, but if you don't, perhaps more will do the samething & before you know it Cunard will be a has been.

We had the same experience onboard the Queen Elizabeth where a number of guests flaunted the dress code and were allowed into the main restaurant. I sent a letter to Peter Shanks regarding this and the following is the reply from the Customer Relations Manager.

“You also refer to the dress code not being adhered to on board and I am sorry that you particularly found this to be disappointing on the semi-formal and formal nights. The matter of standards of dress in the restaurants is a particularly vexed question for, whilst we endeavour to persuade people to adhere to certain minimum standards of decency and formality, we do not feel that we can coerce them. You will appreciate that the circumstances of a restaurant in a ship are somewhat different from those ashore. The balance between persuasion and coercion is a delicate one but we do ask Head Waiters to endeavour to discourage people in a tactful manner from entering the restaurant for dinner inappropriately dressed. I regret the disappointment that you have described.”

If this is the policy from Cunard Head Office what is the point of having a dress code in the first place[/quote

This is the problem , Head Office (or Master of the ship) does not support the staff in turning away inappropriately dressed pasengers, so the staff simply turn their backs and pretend they do not see anything. It used to be that the matter was dealt with on the spot.

I was on Crystal when 2 female travel agents were not only asked to leave the dining room, because of inappropriate dress but they caused a scene and were in fact put off the ship at the next port.

Had this been Cunard today, nothing would have been said or done.

Sorry. Keith, don'tknow how that happened. Wel were just entering the DR one evening when a "lady" came past us in grubby sloppy top, jeans and flipflops. Why did the MD say "be careful going downp the stairs madam.

David.

It is interesting IMO how this thread has morphed into the favourite topic of many a Cundarder.

I'm the OP, checking back in. I think it's interesting, too. My original question was really focused on dinner in the MDR, but I guess I did allude to the many posts I've read about "slipping standards."

In booking this crossing, we are certainly planning on "buying in" to the whole Cunard dress code concept. I will be disappointed if I see people admitted to the Britannia dining room in some of the outrageous and/or sloppy outfits that I've seen described. DH will rent a tux (unless I can persuade him to buy one), take a suit for semi-formal nights and a jacket for elegant casual nights. I have at least two long formal dresses (I hesitate to call them gowns) and a long black satin skirt. What about my two DD's who will be 16 and 12? Do they need long dresses or can they get by on formal nights with knee length "prom" type dresses? They love to dress up and will not need any persuading.

Blind Freddy would have noticed....and I'm not blind or named Freddy. Thought you would pick it up too Baz - which reminds me, how was the European sojourn?

Had a wonderful couple of weeks in southern Germany. Only reason we went there was because my son lives/works there. Had never had any intention of going to Germany - could think of many places I would rather go to (Italy for example) . HOWEVER - we had a marvelous time and so pleased that we went. He lives in a small town on the Danube River - and from there we saw some wonderful places that we had never even heard of - eg a small village called Blaubeuren -- beautiful and wonderful.

Barry

If you are concerned book a Britannia Club Room. Cost slightly more but you have open dining in a small area, very few tables. Very good food and service.

Well worth it to avoid the giant banquet room dining which is a bit of a YUK!

We are planning on booking the June 1, 2013 eastbound TA for our family of 4. We want to use frequent flier miles for our flights, so we will probably need to commit ourselves and book those in the very near future. We are concerned because we keep reading negative reviews about the food in the MDR on the QM2. We've read lots of complaints in the member reviews section about small portions and mediocre food. I don't think we have unrealistic expectations. We know that the food in the MDR is generally more banquet-quality rather than fine dining. Still, the drumbeat of negativity is starting to concern us. Add to that all the negative comments I read on this board moaning about "slipping standards" "culture eroding" and "dumbing down" of the experience and we are questioning our plans.

I'd love to hear some more reports about the dining experience in Britannia on the QM2. Please either reassure me or help me lower my expectations!

I'm the OP, checking back in. I think it's interesting, too. My original question was really focused on dinner in the MDR, but I guess I did allude to the many posts I've read about "slipping standards."

In booking this crossing, we are certainly planning on "buying in" to the whole Cunard dress code concept. I will be disappointed if I see people admitted to the Britannia dining room in some of the outrageous and/or sloppy outfits that I've seen described. DH will rent a tux (unless I can persuade him to buy one), take a suit for semi-formal nights and a jacket for elegant casual nights. I have at least two long formal dresses (I hesitate to call them gowns) and a long black satin skirt. What about my two DD's who will be 16 and 12? Do they need long dresses or can they get by on formal nights with knee length "prom" type dresses? They love to dress up and will not need any persuading.

I think that your daughters will be fine. I would recommend that your husband buy his tux. As I recall, renting one for three nights costs $170, money far better spent, I would think, on something he can call his own. As for outrageous and slopping outfits, you may see them, but if so, they will be worn by only a tiny minority. Nearly everyone adheres to the dress code, and the atmosphere on formal nights is elegant and delightful. You will have a wonderful crossing, I am sure.

Good for the kids!. Nice to see style isn't wasted. Your hubby can wear a "dark suit" & it will be fine for formal night. renting a tux on board can be pretty pricey, so a nice dark(pin stripe etc.)suit is fine.

Sorry. Keith, don'tknow how that happened. Wel were just entering the DR one evening when a "lady" came past us in grubby sloppy top, jeans and flipflops. Why did the MD say "be careful going downp the stairs madam.

David.

Luckily, I've only seen that one extreme example. I've seen some questionable sport jackets & ties(God knows, just look in my wardrobe!)but I usually leave the wild stuff at home.My bowler usually gets a few winks on formal night.

If this guy indeed was a member of the FDNY, that's astonishing. They have a dress code for formal occasions. Promotion ceremonies are conducted in full dress uniform. But the more common "formal" occasion is the funeral of a colleague. You can be sure that dress code won't be flaunted at either one.

The guy was at least 6 ft 5in tall.(reminded me of Howard Stern on a bad day!!) I certainly don't think he was fire rescue material! The tattoo was pretty shabby looking. I think he wanted folks to think he was a "hero" or something. None of us really felt he was the real thing!

Good for the kids!. Nice to see style isn't wasted. Your hubby can wear a "dark suit" & it will be fine for formal night. renting a tux on board can be pretty pricey, so a nice dark(pin stripe etc.)suit is fine.

I may work on getting DH to buy a tux, but in any event here's a picture of us trying out Cunard on the 4 day QV "Mexican Getaway" in Feb. 2011:

2wcnzw9.jpg

I may work on getting DH to buy a tux, but in any event here's a picture of us trying out Cunard on the 4 day QV "Mexican Getaway" in Feb. 2011:

2wcnzw9.jpg

Juglejane. Lovely photo. Mind me asking how you managed to reproduce it? I've tried to scan photos we purchased that were taken on board by ships' photogs, but the moire pattern was so bad that the image was unrecognizable. I asked a ships' photog about that, and the answer was (in short) that the image was copyright and could not be reproduced. Seems you cracked the code? Or perhaps the new digital photo package allows for duplication? Thanks.

Salacia

Why bother with a tux - DH looks pretty swish already. Dark suit is fine and acceptable by Cunard whatever the clothes police say about slipping standards.

Hope you enjoy the cruise.

I had never worn a Tux in my life (nearly 65 now) until we went on the Queen Victoria last July, my wife said I looked so good in it she was going to bury me in it, I have asked her to wait until I pass away but she is a very impatient woman!:(

2wcnzw9.jpg

Great photo!

It is interesting IMO how this thread has morphed into the favourite topic of many a Cundarder.

This thread has it all:

Slipping standards

Dress code

Bad food & service.

There is something for everyone :)

As someone whose culinary expertise extends to the one pasta dish, roasts and the multiple variations of meat and three veg, I always looks forward to the dining experience on board, as it's so different to what I eat at home.

Which one you going to cook for me when I am down in Oz this month?

Admittedly in SYD, not BNE, but I am sure you can work something out!

Which one you going to cook for me when I am down in Oz this month?

Admittedly in SYD, not BNE, but I am sure you can work something out!

None, I wouldn't impose any of these culinary aberrations on anyone.

What are you doing in Sydney? Have you been to OZ before?

Archived