10 High School girlfriends turning 50 want to cruise!

cruisinval

We are thinking about the Western Caribbean cruise out of New Orleans to Cozumel. October is when the majority of our group can go. Is there an issue with weather that time of year? Also, any other suggestions on where to go for a 4 to 5 night cruise? Thanks very much :)

October is the end of hurricane season.....doesn't mean there will be storms...just that it's more likely than in Dec. or Jan.!!! Cruises are usually a bit cheaper then, because of the risk. The ship will NOT sail thru a storm....so you may end up with different ports than advertised.

Decide which cruiseline you'd like to sail with, and go to their website and see what's available!

When you say you're high school girlfriends, do you mean you're adults who met in high school, or are you recent graduates or still in high school?

The reason I'm asking is that most cruise lines have restrictions on younger people traveling without an adult.

Roz

When you say you're high school girlfriends, do you mean you're adults who met in high school, or are you recent graduates or still in high school?

The reason I'm asking is that most cruise lines have restrictions on younger people traveling without an adult.

Roz

They're turning 50, so not to recent grads!!!!:D

I think they can cruise without chaperones. ;)

We have been on numerous cruises. I would stay away from Jamaica. I did not feel safe there, and have heard some stories. I know you have to be careful anywhere you go, but that place was just not safe. Buses are held up on a regular basis in this country. The people in Roatan are just as poor, but are at least very nice. Same thing in costa maya. I will never return to Jamaica.

I didn't have any problems in Jamaica, and I was sailing solo. I booked my excursion thru the ship, and didn't venture out on my own. Jamaica is a beautiful island if you can look beyond the crime and poverty.

Roz

There's a novel about a similar group- Millie Johnson's "Here Come the Girls"....4 schoolfriends who take a cruise 25 years later, on a ship of the Grand Class design. I think it's a fabulous idea!

Have a great time. :)

Jo.

Your ship out of New Orleans for a 4 or 5 day cruise would be the Carnival Elation. It stops in Cozumel, and on the 5 day cruise also stops in Progreso, both in Mexico. I see some good prices for this October. Would you put 2 in a cabin, or try to put 3 or 4 in some cabins? (3 or 4 adults is usually very crowded). Your cabin selection might be pretty limited now. Many of us book well over a year away. Were you thinking of driving? Hurricanes can happen in October -- Wilma in 2005 was a bad one. The Elation does 5-day Monday-Saturday (Oct. 1, 15, & 29), 5-day Saturday-Thursday (Oct. 6 & 20), and 4-day Thursday-Monday sailings (Oct. 11 & 25). Oct. 29 has a really good price, and puts you on the ship for Halloween (often crew and passengers dress in costumes then), but of course spills into November. My search shows the balcony cabins are double or even triple the price of an inside cabin. If money is an issue (and when it is not?), I suggest an inside cabin. But as I said your cabin choices might be very limited, and you might not even be able to have cabins close to each other.

Also consider sailing out of Galveston. Sailing out of Florida you will have the most choice of ships. The ships out of New Orleans tend to be older ones. Galveston, TX has one of Carnival's newest ships - the Carnival Magic sailing out in October doing a 1 week cruise.

The Carnival Elation and Conquest - which sail from NOLA are over 10 years old. I'm sure they are nice ships, but they won't have as many amenities as the newer ones. Also cruise lines tend to put their best staff on the newer ships. Just something to consider.

Two of my girlfriends joined me and my husband on a cruise a few years back and one of them was celebrating her 50th birthday on board. I had a tee shirt made up for her that said "Celebrating the 29th Anniversary of my 21st Birthday." She loved it! That might be a good theme for your all girls cruise and with matching tee's

Thanks all for the GREAT info! I have learned so much! Trying to talk 9 other women into doing the same thing is tough! We think we have decided on a four day cruise out of New Orleans, because we want to spend a couple days before the cruise there. We all want to be back home within a week, so this looks like the best option. We will be going in October of 2013, hope we dont run into bad weather! Thanks again :)

Archived