key west beach

sstradling3

My family and I will be in Key West in December. we will be on Carnival Freedom. Trying to figure out what to do. We will be with our daughters 12, 15 and 19. Just wanted to relax on a beach but it doesnt look like there are any close to port.

Does anyone know of a beach we can go to? and if so How far from port is it? Looking for one with restroom facilities

thanks

SHelly

Smathers Beach and Higgs Beach would be your best bet but they are all the way down past the Southernmost point marker. It would be quite a walk and besides the beaches in Key West aren't good at all......they are quite rocky at the shore

Unless you insist on a beach day at every port, Key West is the one to skip. There are many other things to do, and the beaches there just don't compare to almost every other port in the Caribbean. If you want something water related there are jet ski's, kayaks, parasailing, etc etc.

My family and I will be in Key West in December. we will be on Carnival Freedom. Trying to figure out what to do. We will be with our daughters 12, 15 and 19. Just wanted to relax on a beach but it doesnt look like there are any close to port.

Does anyone know of a beach we can go to? and if so How far from port is it? Looking for one with restroom facilities

Your best bet is Fort Zachary Taylor state park. It's a large property, probably the best beach in KW, and has an old fort to explore. The restrooms are kept clean and there is a snack/beverage stand.

Your best bet is Fort Zachary Taylor state park. It's a large property, probably the best beach in KW, and has an old fort to explore. The restrooms are kept clean and there is a snack/beverage stand.

This! It isn't far from port, but I would still take a cab. Don't expect a Sandy beach because it isn't. It is covered in broken shells and coral, but is a nice place to spend the day

Just a word of caution. Without knowing what part of December you are arriving in Key West, just know that sometimes it can be very cool, even chilly in December there. The weather plays tricks in December in Key West.

It can be very warm one day and chilly the next. I have been there when our vacation was like that, chilly one day, but warm and muggy the next. You might be better off to plan your beach days for ports that are further south.

If you do plan a beach day, I think Fort Zachary Taylor State Park is the best bet. Just be advised that the beach is not the soft, fine sugar sand you find at many Caribbean beaches.

thanks everyone for all the info. I guess I have to do some research on Key West :o

we will be in Key West on Christmas Eve.

IN Ocho Rios we are doing Dunns River Falls and In Cayman Islands we are doing Stingray City snorkeling. Just trying to figure out something to do in Key West with my girls. Guess I may have to rethink the beach.

I was wondering how far Fort Zachary is from the Southern most point??? As you can tell I know nothing about Key West. I was thinking of doing the trolley and they have a stop at Soutern most point. If i get off there can I walk to Fort Zachary???

I was wondering how far Fort Zachary is from the Southern most point??? As you can tell I know nothing about Key West. I was thinking of doing the trolley and they have a stop at Soutern most point. If i get off there can I walk to Fort Zachary???

You would be better off taking the City View Trolley ($10 less than Old Town Trolley) and getting off at stop #3 to walk to Fort Zachary Taylor.

See attached map.

http://www.cityviewtrolleys.com/keywest/KeyWest_PDF/KEY%20WEST%20NEW%20MAP.pdf

Mike:)

i think your girls will have a great time just wandering around, shopping, seeing all the "interesting" characters that are about. I could spend days hanging out there (oh, wait....I have). Walk to the Cemetery and check out the crazy tombstones. There's a place called Dante's that is near the Marina that is a restaurant/bar with a large swimming pool. Fun place to hang out if you want to swim and eat.

i think your girls will have a great time just wandering around, shopping, seeing all the "interesting" characters that are about. I could spend days hanging out there (oh, wait....I have). Walk to the Cemetery and check out the crazy tombstones. There's a place called Dante's that is near the Marina that is a restaurant/bar with a large swimming pool. Fun place to hang out if you want to swim and eat.

Just back from a few days in KW............Dante's is cool, a tad wild at times but cool.

Archived