British Isles cruise - june or august

shiphappy

Anyone have any thoughts on the weather - our choice is either June 3 or early august? Other considerations we should think about such as airfares at that time of year. We are currently booked on the June 3, 2013 Infinity.

We did our British Isles/Norwegian Fjords in mid-June to the end of June and the weather was excellent, a little cold with snow one day in Norway but otherwise very pleasant. Later in the summer might have been a little warmer, which I would have preferred.

We did this cruise in August and we had the perfect weather. If you go to Edinburgh you can assist at the presentation of Military Tattoo that is presented only in August. It is a must- see!!

I haven't been on a BI cruise but we have been on several self-tour trips to Ireland. More hours of sunlight in June, as it often stays light until 10 PM or later. Daylight hours decrease after late June, but still sufficient sunlight hours in August.

Weather is a crapshoot. I believe the "normal" highs for Ireland is about 60-65 in the summer. We have experienced weather in the low 50's to mid 70's (and that's pretty rare). It can be pretty rainy no matter when you travel there and some days start out rainy but change within a couple hours. That's the reason the country is so green:D

Last year in late June, we had several beautiful and warm days, but nights were chily enough to wear jackets. Always have an umbrella available!

You might want to check on Bank Holidays and if they interfere with any ports - I think there is one in June and one in August but all countries do not celebrate every Bank Holiday with schools out and some businesses closed.

As Spec pointed out, in August, the Tattoo in on at the Edinburgh Castle in Aug. it is a once in a lifetime experience. The ship pulls into Glasgow and spends until midnight to allows you to bus tour to Edinburgh. My wife isn't really big on bagpipes but really loved it.

I'd strongly suggest Aug unless there is a reason you can't.

Den

We did the Tattoo also in August. Rained all day - stopped just before the Tattoo - and rained again immediately afterwards.:D:D

Weather is a lottery. We have cruised round the BI twice - and enjoyed both immensely. We live in London and Spain - go figure!!:D:D

August is the middle of school holidays for both England and Scotland. Tourist attractions may well be overcrowded with families during this time. Will probably be quieter in June. As a UK resident, what the weather may or not be like is irrelevant in making plans, it is impossible to predict and not worth trying to second guess.

Quick correction to post regarding bank holidays.

There are no bank holidays in June. There was a special one this year for Queens Jubilee but that was a once in 60 year exception.

In August both Scotland and England have a bank holiday (on different Mondays), Englands is the last Monday, in Scotland it is earlier (of course). However it does only affect bank counter services, large shops and tourist attractions will operate as normal, hours might be changed, but will undoubtedly be busier than usual - last hurrah before school term starts.

In August the heather is on the hills in Scotalnd, in May its the rhododendrons.

Edinburgh is much busier, almost to the painful point, in August but it does have the benefit of the Tattoo/Festival events

In Scotland in June many schools go out on day trips which may include the places you are visiting, in early August children may be visiting with parents but Scottish schools go back August 12th or thereabouts

So I think it is really down to what works best for you

Weather - who knows, this June has been absolutely awful and we are all hoping for a good August

Last June was really good and August was not

You cannot pick any particular summer month in the UK and say the weather is going to be better in this one or the other one. Both could be good, both could be bad, or both could be equally half good and half bad. Usually Aug. is hotter than June, but not often enough to predict that for certain.

The only certain thing is that GB is a brilliant place to come to on a cruise. !! ...and the best bit is Wales. :D

Quick correction to post regarding bank holidays.

There are no bank holidays in June. There was a special one this year for Queens Jubilee but that was a once in 60 year exception.

In August both Scotland and England have a bank holiday (on different Mondays), Englands is the last Monday, in Scotland it is earlier (of course). However it does only affect bank counter services, large shops and tourist attractions will operate as normal, hours might be changed, but will undoubtedly be busier than usual - last hurrah before school term starts.

I thought the first monday in June was always Spring Bank Holiday and then the following week was classed as Whitsun week and the schools were off ...... might be mistaken though.

I thought the first monday in June was always Spring Bank Holiday and then the following week was classed as Whitsun week and the schools were off ...... might be mistaken though.

There are usually no bank holidays in June, this year was an exception due to the Jubilee.

It's usually the first Monday in May (May Day) then the last week in May is Whitsun.

I would say June as its less crowded, as for the weather it can be as nice in June as in August or not! Today I have my heating on and it's pouring with rain, yesterday it was hot and sunny.

If you wanted to see the tattoo however you should pick August :)

Anyone have any thoughts on the weather - our choice is either June 3 or early august? Other considerations we should think about such as airfares at that time of year. We are currently booked on the June 3, 2013 Infinity.

You'll be getting on as we get off.

If I were making a choice between June or August, I'd go for June and the longer days. As many others have pointed out, the weather is a crap shoot regardless of when you go.

In August the heather is on the hills in Scotalnd, in May its the rhododendrons.

Edinburgh is much busier, almost to the painful point, in August but it does have the benefit of the Tattoo/Festival events

In Scotland in June many schools go out on day trips which may include the places you are visiting, in early August children may be visiting with parents but Scottish schools go back August 12th or thereabouts

So I think it is really down to what works best for you

Weather - who knows, this June has been absolutely awful and we are all hoping for a good August

Last June was really good and August was not

UK Tog you are spot on!

I am a relative, local 45 mins by train and would always recommend August because of the Edinburgh Festival. We have tickets for the last night of the Tatoo and are staying at Tiger Lily in town!

Air Do Slainte!

Thanks for everyone's replies. Since we try to avoid crowds I think we will take our chances and stick with the June 3rd British Isles cruise we already have booked. We will take pur chances with the weather - as it is unpredictable everyone anymore it seems. The important thing is we will be visiting someplace I have always wanted to see - come rain or shine!

We cruised the British Isles from May 26 to June 7th this year. Weather for the most part was good and we didn't miss any ports - most days were warm and sunny, but we also experienced a few overcast, drizzly days. However, the next cruise wasn't as lucky and some ports were missed. Glad I brought along a light rainjacket!

This thread made me think of our wonderful British Isles cruise so I looked at the photos and one thing struck me about June....absolutely everything was blooming in June, flowers and trees in a variety of colors...it was beautiful! Not sure if it's the same in August, but Spring in the British Isles is lovely!

Archived