Private Parties in Public Spaces - Ouch

metsfan47

Why does everything always end up with getting money back. Let look at this another way. Those people in the private party are passengers and have just as much right to be there and viewing the sites out the windows of the Crows Nest as the OP who is complaining.

If those passengers were there not for a private party but just for viewing, would this OP have any better chance of seeing the view, no!

I have been in the Crow's Nest many times wanting to look at the view when every chair and then some have passenger already their viewing the sights of Alaska. No matter where I move I can't see, do I ask one of the passenger to get out of my way because I paid my money and I have a right to see too, absolutely not. That's just plain craziness.

Exactly! There's only so much room in the Crow's Nest - it would have been full whether there was a private party or not.

I would guess that in fact the space was not "full". Can't be absolutely sure but I would guess that the people at the private function were pretty well spread out, and in any case likely had other things on their minds than scenic cruising.

Should the OP have been guaranteed a prime viewing spot in the Crows Nest? Absolutely not! Should they have had a fair chance to find a suitable spot for viewing. They certainly should have.

About 6 weeks ago when I was on the Enchantment of the Seas between Bermuda and Boston we had a midday medical emergency with a helicopter evacuation. The outer decks were closed as a safety precaution. In a short time the Viking Crown Lounge became very crowded probably rising to about 250% of the seating capacity of the venue. Everyone wanted to see, people were careful to respect others' sight lines, and things went very well. There's no reason that couldn't have happened here.

Melodie, where did that business about people getting money come from/ While I may not have caught every word of this thread, I think I've seen most of the OP's comments and can't remember money being mentioned.

I believe HAL erred in scheduling this function the way they did. Sometimes honest mistakes are made and we need to forgive, but the OP was certainly justified in raising the issue. If it makes us all a little more sensitive about what we request when planning a meet and greet, I think we're all ahead.

Roy

So, if private groups wanted to use the pools exclusively you'd be ok with that. What if groups used all of the prime areas? Would you be ok with sitting in your stateroom?

I really don't understand why some people choose to defend cruise lines no matter what they do. HAL is a fine line. That doesn't mean they don't make mistakes or can improve on there services. There may be as many as 3000 passengers on board a ship. Letting a select few deprive those people of the opportunity to use facilities they paid for is wrong, wrong, wrong!

This thing is blown totally out of proportion IMO. A group at the Crow's nest for a meeting is not the same as what you are alluding to. I am not defending the cruise line nor the group. There are different functions on the ship all the time (including some of which YOU may be invited to).

The dining room has a mariner's lunch so may not be open - should that be cancelled??? There is cocktail reception on some cruises for 4* mariners. And yes, that's a private party. Should that be cancelled?

It's a fact of life on any ship. The groups don't take the prime space for the entire cruise - My heavens - let's all chill - I really don't think it is a big deal in all honesty. Sorry

This thing is blown totally out of proportion IMO. A group at the Crow's nest for a meeting is not the same as what you are alluding to. I am not defending the cruise line nor the group. There are different functions on the ship all the time (including some of which YOU may be invited to).

The dining room has a mariner's lunch so may not be open - should that be cancelled??? There is cocktail reception on some cruises for 4* mariners. And yes, that's a private party. Should that be cancelled?

It's a fact of life on any ship. The groups don't take the prime space for the entire cruise - My heavens - let's all chill - I really don't think it is a big deal in all honesty. Sorry

The events you mentioned are ship-sponsored events. All I'm saying is they ought to consider ALL the passengers before allowing private groups to use "public" spaces. The specific instance that the OP referred to was extremely bad judgemt by HAL. To do that on an Alaskan cruise during scenic cruising is inexcusable.

Melodie, where did that business about people getting money come from/ While I may not have caught every word of this thread, I think I've seen most of the OP's comments and can't remember money being mentioned.

I believe HAL erred in scheduling this function the way they did. Sometimes honest mistakes are made and we need to forgive, but the OP was certainly justified in raising the issue. If it makes us all a little more sensitive about what we request when planning a meet and greet, I think we're all ahead.

Roy

Bolding is mine - as to Melodie - her comment came from another poster not the OP's.

You are absolutely right about the timing of the meet and greet - once I read this thread the first thing I did was to check our M & G dates and times to make sure it is not scenic touring.

And it is something I will keep in mind for future M & G's.:D

With all due respect, you're wrong! You can't equate a suite with the accompanying benefits to using the Crow's Nest or any other space which is open to the general sea-going public. Taking away use of these areas for private consumption is wrong...period! In essense, they are preventing the customer from using something they paid for. Let private groups, if they so choose, use facilities that typically aren't used during the day for their meetings such as the dinning room or the theatre. Taking away prime locations is very bad PR.

Just as hotels do with restaurants, lounges, pool decks, etc. At a conference I was at last January we even took over the hotel's private beach for a night - no other guests were allowed to use it.

That's just the way the world swings. You may not like it ut that's neither here nor there. You can, of course, "vote with your feet" and go to a cruise line that doesn't do this.

Oh, wait - there aren't any!

We experienced this on an NCL cruise. There was a very large group and they took over everything. It was difficult to get a time to eat (NCL is entirely anytime dining) even with a concierge as this group would book almost the entire MDR for a certain length of time and then consistently run over by more than an hour. This happened in the theatre, clubs, etc. No effort was made to make them stick to their allotted time. They acted as though they owned the ship and always pushed and shoved to get to the elevators first.

Towards the end of the cruise (when regular passengers were truly getting fed up with their antics) a revolt of sorts took place. The group had booked a club for a certain time frame and after that it was to be open to the "public" with a comedy show. There was a large queue to get in. Everyone waited patiently for about 3/4 hour and when this group meeting showed no signs of ending several complained. All the crew passed the buck higher up and eventually it got to the first officer but he would do nothing. By now it was well over an hour late and most of us decided to take matters into our hands.

It was not pretty and really not something I am proud of but we all pushed our way in and pushed the group out, with a few yelling payback time. The group left and the next day (final day of the cruise) there was an uneasy truce of sorts but they stuck to their allotted times.

I feel that you should know before sailing if most of the ship is going to be "off limits" for specified times. In this case, when a group consistently overshot their time by hours not minutes, the rest of us should have been compensated for our inconvenience and inability to make use of the ship.

First off, nobody said anything about getting money back. Re-read what I said. I said "you would probably want your money back". Secondly, you are right in that those groups have a right to go anywhere they want. So, simply don't RESTRICT access! If they want to gather in the Crow's Nest fine....but don't prevent me from doing the same thing. That's the rub!!

Rub or not, they usually don't completely close down the Crow's nest for roll call gathering, VIP parties, Suite parties, etc.

You are not restricted access to most of the Crow's Nest. In fact most of the time it's only a quarter sometimes a third of it that is utilized for these gatherings for an hour or so.

Nothing wrong with sharing, right? Or are we becoming so intolerant, that we can't share an area with our fellow passengers. Passengers thru no fault of their own are attending a special gathering, that is put together by the Captain and Hotel Manager.

I think if you have a problem with this, you need to take your concerns to Holland America.

This board too often degenerates into a battle ground these days. We used to be able to post and if someone disagreed, it didn't turn into personal attacks or snide comments.

My DH sometimes wanders in to read only (because I am always logged on) and this morning he commented "there sure are some miserable old farts on there".... this from an original old fart, LOL:D But he's right.

The nastiness has been increasing over the past few months. Posters get called liars and end up being the butt of very snide and/or sarcastic remarks. Come on guys, let's get back to what it's supposed to be about... sharing info, experiences and voicing an opinion without fear of retribution.

Annoying - definitely. Humiliating - definitely not.

If there were clearly sights on the side of the ship that I wasn't on - I would have just walked over. They could hardly stop you as it was in a public area.

DON

Annoying - definitely. Humiliating - definitely not.

If there were clearly sights on the side of the ship that I wasn't on - I would have just walked over. They could hardly stop you as it was in a public area.

DON

If it was clearly marked as a private party of course they could stop you. Sould you get obstreperous they could restrain you. Should you cause an uproar they could put you ashore in the next port.

Now suppose you were throwing a party - would you welcome every bozo who wondered in looking for a free drink?

Thanks for the reply. It most likely won't be an issue and probably would not have occurred to me had it not been for this thread.

Sapper, were there cabanas on our April Zuidy cruise? I don't recall seeing them. Mind you I admit, I didn't get my nose out of the book & off our balcony very often ... :-)

Sapper, were there cabanas on our April Zuidy cruise? I don't recall seeing them. Mind you I admit, I didn't get my nose out of the book & off our balcony very often ... :-)

The cabanas are on the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam only. Believe me, if they had been around the pool you would not have missed them. They somewhat impede the flow of traffic through the area.

It made those of us on the "other side" of the Crow's Nest that day feel like second-class citizens. We felt as if, even though we had all paid for our cruises, Holland America thought we did not deserve to be treated equally.

Has anyone else encountered such a humiliating situation?

Shouldn't Private Parties be held in Private spaces and not take up public spaces on a ship?

Yes, I would be disappointed and irritated too. However, I would not allow that situation to make me feel humiliated or like a second-class citizen. I would find another location to enjoy the view and my day.

This board too often degenerates into a battle ground these days. We used to be able to post and if someone disagreed, it didn't turn into personal attacks or snide comments.

My DH sometimes wanders in to read only (because I am always logged on) and this morning he commented "there sure are some miserable old farts on there".... this from an original old fart, LOL:D But he's right.

The nastiness has been increasing over the past few months. Posters get called liars and end up being the butt of very snide and/or sarcastic remarks. Come on guys, let's get back to what it's supposed to be about... sharing info, experiences and voicing an opinion without fear of retribution.

Wow. You took the words right out of my mouth. I was considering starting a thread wondering where all the old posters who used to be so nice and so much fun have disappeared to. Maybe they have been discouraged by the new wave of downright mean people. Only a few of my older CC friends are still posting. Sometimes I feel like dropping off myself.

I agree completely. Some of us on this board have been made aware of certian "blogs" and other sites where frequent posters and members of this board, banned members and members with "new" names, comment on the postings here, make fun of members and bash them. You wouldnt believe some of it.

It goes as far as almost online stalking. But they don't scare me, I remember the "mean girls" and stalker guys from high school. I can deal. But overall, its a total shame. The wonderful members of this board make up for all of it.

Remember when we were doing the cc post countdown towards New Years Eve? What a great feeling - I was hoping that feeling would continue into 2012.

Totally agree startwin - this is all about helping - opinions - and not being lambasted.

You took the words out of my mouth:D

So, if private groups wanted to use the pools exclusively you'd be ok with that. What if groups used all of the prime areas? Would you be ok with sitting in your stateroom?

I really don't understand why some people choose to defend cruise lines no matter what they do. HAL is a fine line. That doesn't mean they don't make mistakes or can improve on there services. There may be as many as 3000 passengers on board a ship. Letting a select few deprive those people of the opportunity to use facilities they paid for is wrong, wrong, wrong!

OK, I am jumping in on this "WRONG" as you are implying.

Is it wrong for me to wish to sit in the Lido restaurant 24/7 during my cruise, taking up one of the precious few window seats just so I can view everything going on outside in the ovcean? Is it wrong for me to HOG a Lido Deck Chair 24/7 just so I have a place to sit whenever I want? Is it wrong for me to attend a Mariners Brunch or Embarkation Day Luncheon? Is it wrong for me to sit at a window seat in the Crows Nest 24/7 just so I can guarantee I get to use the darned thing and get a great view? It is wrong for me to use any public facility on the ship to do anything at all, as it might infringe upon your right to do the same thing???

You are darned right I can and might just do so. I am a paying customer and I DESERVE the right to do any of the above. BUT, I do not because I am considerate of my fellow passengers. Unlike those that appear to feel that my usage of these same locations is their right also. If you've been sitting for hours in one location, you might just be impinging on my rights to use the spot you are in. How would you feel if I came up top you and asked if you could move so I could use the same spot?? You'd I'm sure, tell me to take a flying leap. And rightly so:)

Whether the Group had a prime location roped off during the time you say was prime time, is moot in my eyes. It was important to them and the Ship to accommodate them at that time and in that location.

Feel humiliation all you wish, it will not change and should not to accommodate 1 or 2 or 10 people who feel the same as you. Better to tick off a handful than over 200 or so.

HAL has to work as hard as they can to make everyone happy. Obviously they've succeeded as the OP's is the first complaint I've heard on this humiliation for such a prime time viewing.

Sorry to get on a soap box, but I am so tired of the "Self Entitlements" I have read by a very very few on this thread.

We all pay the same for using the public areas, if my party falls into the time frame you consider your prime time, so be it, go somewhere else that is protected, such as the Lido Restaurant and sit and enjoy a nice snack and hot or cold drink:)

Just my opinion. No more shall I let this thread get to me!!

Joanie

Good post Joanie.

You know, Alaska is a tough one. On most of the other cruises there is not 24/7 scenic viewing. It is difficult for Hal to schedule these 'parties' on the port days because everyone is off the sip so they do them on sea days.

There is always good thing to see during the daylight hours of Alaska which could exceed 10 pm. Makes it tough to plan these 'parties' at acceptable times for all passengers. I think they do the best they can, and we need to give the Captain and Hotel Manager some slack. The only other option is to not hold these parties at all, and that would cause other problems for Hal and the Officers.

There is probably no way to please everyone, we just need to not take these things as a personal affront to us.

For gosh sakes let it go - it's no longer helpful, it's just preaching the same argument over and over!

Unfortunately we're only on page 7 and they've only scratched the surface. I watched in amazement last week,when the toipic of using a soda card warranted 4 pages:eek:

Might as well sit back relax and laugh.

However, one situation on board really bothered us.

Very interesting thread for sure. LOL The M&G for the upcoming cruise I will be going on was originally sced for right after the life boat drill. I thought that was pretty strange. Later learned it had been changed to the first sea day in the Crows Nest.

It will be an interesting M&G for sure. The meeting will be held on the dance floor of the Crows Nest. I wonder if the over 100 people signed up for the M&G will fit on the dance floor. LOL I'm sure though that something else will happen. If NOT, well I just make the best of it and I just ADAPT to the situation.

The Crows Nest M & G are usually in Captain's corner which is not on the dance floor itself. :) Yes, there is a nearby dance floor but the M & G is much more likely to be along the side with comfortable seating. With over 100 people attending, it's reasonable to expect they'll be some moving around so folks who have chatted on the Roll Call can 'meet and greet' those with whom they have been corresponding.

The Crows Nest M & G are usually in Captain's corner which is not on the dance floor itself. :) Yes, there is a nearby dance floor but the M & G is much more likely to be along the side with comfortable seating.

Yes Sail, the M&G on past cruises I have been on have always on the port side in the Crows Nest. The person who is running the M&G was told by someone in Seattle I think it was that it will be held on the dance floor. We'll see :-)

With over 100 people attending, it's reasonable to expect they'll be some moving around so folks who have chatted on the Roll Call can 'meet and greet' those with whom they have been corresponding.

Most definitely Sail as there are several different interest groups that have been formed within the CC group.

Archived