Just back from the Deep South

squideater

We arrived home on Saturday from our venture into the deep south on the American Queen. This was our first river boat trip and I found it quite wonderful. The cabin 412 was small but well appointed and had enough coat hangers for both my husband and my clothes. I loved the small size of the ship as it was easy to get anywhere and the decor in the public rooms was beautiful and just what you would expect. Because of the intimate size of the ship, we were able to meet many new friends. The passenger age group, while older, also included some younger families which was nice to see. Unfortunately, the river was quite low and it was like we were on a beach vacation all week--all we could see is sand, for miles and miles. Had the water been higher, the view may have been different. We were unable to dock at any of our expected places, but we seemed to actually dock closer then scheduled. We just had to walk up the levy to see the magnificent "Oak Alley", my favorite stop on the trip. The hop on/hop off was fantastic. Not only did they have wonderful, volunteer tour guides who were proud of their communities, they provided a safe, cool way of getting about and doing as much or as little as you wanted. The crew was wonderful--everyone--and took the time to know the guests. The dining room was a bit chaotic but always friendly. They encouraged everyone to eat the buffet and when you ordered soup with your lunch entree off the menu, they came together, not as separate courses. Once the pecan pie disappeared on the second day to never appear again, my wonderful waiter Chris arranged to have a pie set aside in the kitchen just for me. The bar service was friendly and I even had a lost earring returned to my cabin by Renee from the Engine Room bar. That is service. Check on and off was smooth and easy. The entertainment was great especially the Platters and the Memphis Sons. As a Maine Yankee, I would recommend this trip to anyone who wanted a relaxing, friendly, southern hospitality vacation. Thanks American Queen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived