Port of Tanjung Pelepas.

A friend and I have booked passage from Tanjung Pelepas in Malaysia to Malta on the CMA CGM Cendrillon in the fall (Nov.) and I'd love to hear from anyone familiar with the port. My questions concern (1)transportation from Singapore (presumably taxi) and (2) since I've never gone by freighter, forgive my ignorance, will I physically get on the ship more or less as I would on a cruise ship or am I in for a surprise?

Thanks, Joanna

Cool! I'd imagine boarding will be less formal (do you see the ships' agent first or just go to the ship?) with none of the check-in and security formalities. You'll have to carry your own bags though. No porter. Hope it's a RO-RO ship otherwise you'll have to carry your bags up the accommodation ladder.

Cool! I'd imagine boarding will be less formal (do you see the ships' agent first or just go to the ship?) with none of the check-in and security formalities. You'll have to carry your own bags though. No porter. Hope it's a RO-RO ship otherwise you'll have to carry your bags up the accommodation ladder.

Thanks C.C. The agent for the line, or at least the one I'm dealing with, is in New Zealand. Are there local agents do you think? As far as I know I just go to the ship on the appointed day or near the day if the schedule shifts. No, certainly no porter but a LADDER?? What's a RO-RO ship? The port is relatively new as is the ship so I'm hoping for my sake that any boarding apparatus is somewhat civilized. Please explain the terms if you will.

Thanks C.C. The agent for the line, or at least the one I'm dealing with, is in New Zealand. Are there local agents do you think?

All the lines have agents (not travel but freight) at local ports that handle various local business. Probably who you contact to find the when and where for the ship.

No, certainly no porter but a LADDER??

That's the stairs that's lowered down the side of the ship to walk up to the deck. No holes in the hull for passenger entry. You can make out the stairs between the stern of the ship and the crane in this photo.

stock-photo-stairs-at-the-side-of-a-ship-along-the-quay-13408777.jpg?iact=hc&vpx=685&vpy=246&dur=1622&hovh=190&hovw=266&tx=117&ty=128&sig=102566507014818487221&ei=hcfzT9bAEoWjrQGL6ZHdAw&page=15&tbnh=175&tbnw=238&start=426&ndsp=30&ved=1t:429,r:26,s:426,i:184

What's a RO-RO ship?

RO RO is roll on roll off. A ship you can drive stuff on and off.

Ro-Ro_Vessel.jpg

The port is relatively new as is the ship so I'm hoping for my sake that any boarding apparatus is somewhat civilized. Please explain the terms if you will.

No fancy terminal. It means large docks and lots of cranes.

b_6port.jpg?iact=hc&vpx=1050&vpy=585&dur=1387&hovh=178&hovw=283&tx=105&ty=85&sig=102566507014818487221&ei=wsfzT9HMLIWpqQGCid3PAw&page=3&tbnh=166&tbnw=228&start=65&ndsp=31&ved=1t:429,r:23,s:65,i:353

Again, many thanks. The "ladder" looks fine. Whew!

Will find out about the local agent in due course, I'm sure. Probably after I finish paying for the trip.

No, not a Ro Ro then. Loaded by crane as far as I can tell. You can Google "Cendrillon" and see the photos. And the port picture is as I expected.

Cheers, J.

Archived