"Sneak Preview" of 2013 Voyages??

Seafairer

The much-delayed publication of the 2013 brochure was a topic of recent discussion on this board. I just received an email offer from Silversea to pre-order the brochure and "click here" for a "sneak preview" of the 2013 itineraries. I'm beginning to worry about Silversea - 2013 has been online for many, many months, and some cabin categories are already completely booked on certain voyages. Positioning this as a preview strains credulity.

I love having "the book" and look forward its arrival within the next couple of weeks. But I feel strongly that, at this late date, any "sneak preview" should relate to 2014, not 2013. Is Silversea dropping the marketing ball??

My latest word from SS (yesterday) is that it may be another 45 days before the 2013 book appears. There is some speculation that the finalized deck plans of the Cloud after the major dry dock this October may be contributing to the delay. For example, since most bath tubs will be replaced by showers, they may want to get the distribution of each correct on the plans.

Thanks for the update of the update, Wellseasoned. Although I'm scratching my head on their explanation. The plans must have been finalized ages ago - it's hard to believe they're still tweaking them so close to drydock. When I checked a few weeks ago, their reason for the publication's delay was ... proofreading such a big book.

I see that their website still shows tubs-only on the cabin layouts I checked, and doesn't mention (at least on the cabin layout page) that new layouts are coming, along with the other changes. Many have already booked 2013 based on this "old" web information. So why not print the book, use computer graphics to show the new layouts and plans, and post a disclaimer that some cabins will have a tub instead of a separate shower? Or print the book with the "old" photos and layouts (same as is still on the website) and include news and pictures of the redesigns in the cover letter?

It's just disappointing to see this badly managed. It should be a time of [well-publicized] excitement and celebration for Silversea's legion of fans, many of whom already booked 2013 and are unaware of the changes they'll see. Doesn't make sense...

I'm just trying to figure out who gets these notifications. We are signed up for email updates and have sailed twice with SS with another cruise booked. Is there some magic number of cruises that you need to take before you can get a 2013 brochure?

Sorry to ask a dumb question, but...if you can see this online, what is the big deal about the book?I liked having the book too, but I didn't need a book in hand to select a cruise for next year...

Travelcat2, I also had problems getting Silversea's emails and ultimately got direct assistance one of their tech support people. I believe your status as a past passenger (and their having your email address) is all you need to receive the notifications, which include the latest offers.

You might like to contact SS's staff member Susan Bromery in their Ft. Lauderdale headquarters. Her direct line is 800-722-9955 (x-3314). She's incredibly helpful and will see that you get the new brochure the minute it's off the press. She may be able to fix your email problem, too. Susan also maintains her own client list and sends various notifications on her own, which you may find useful.

Farbster, you're right of course that much of the brochure's information is online. In a separate thread a few weeks ago, we found that many passengers (myself included) like the big book because it's easier to compare various cruises than it is online. And I imagine a small number of passengers don't have computers or choose not to use the online option. (Is this delay causing Silversea to lose a few valuable bookings to other lines??)

My point was simply to say, if the company still isn't promoting the new plans online, why hold up the 2013 publication? I love the walk-in shower, but am aware that some prefer tubs; those people, many of whom booked based on the outdated layouts, may be very unhappy when they enter a shower-only stateroom.

Silversea has always been exceptional at educating its public and building a sense of excitement. I can't wait to board the new Cloud. Why? Because I read about it on CruiseCritic!!! That's the problem.

Archived