Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

I used to sew - it's been years thought. I make kids clothes more than my own. I would love to see some photos on this thread! :) I'm envious of all the great seamstresses. Might motivate me to start again. I think the last thing I made was a Jedi Cloak!

I used to sew - it's been years thought. I make kids clothes more than my own. I would love to see some photos on this thread! :) I'm envious of all the great seamstresses. Might motivate me to start again. I think the last thing I made was a Jedi Cloak!

I found a pretty dress that I loved, but it has spaghetti straps and I know in the dining room I'll want something in case my arms get cool. I don't like trying to keep a scarf or shawl on while eating, so I made a little bolero-style shrug to go with it. Just finished it tonight, in fact. :) The fabric is a semi-sheer woven, and I did a wide band along the neck and bottom with a solid color linen that matches the dress.

WP_000220.jpg.acdba78759eea7d08c9ca302f795d3b6.jpg

That's beautiful and such a great idea! Must be nice to know you'll have a one-of-a-kind designer outfit! Love the colors.

Thank you! I think it'll work in the evening, but boy I sure learned that working with sheer fabric is more challenging. In bright daylight, I see every flaw.

I'm looking forward to seeing others' photos. :)

I found a pretty dress that I loved, but it has spaghetti straps and I know in the dining room I'll want something in case my arms get cool. I don't like trying to keep a scarf or shawl on while eating, so I made a little bolero-style shrug to go with it. Just finished it tonight, in fact. :) The fabric is a semi-sheer woven, and I did a wide band along the neck and bottom with a solid color linen that matches the dress.

[ATTACH]261841[/ATTACH]

It is really beautiful. Did you use a pattern?

It is really beautiful. Did you use a pattern?

Thanks! I mostly use patterns but didn't have one handy for a bolero/shrug so I winged it. I cut one out of muslin that was basically just a rectangle with sleeves cut on, then rounded off the front sides while I was wearing it to get the shape I wanted. The muslin became my pattern.

I want to try New Look 6119. It looks easy.

http://www.simplicity.com/p-7539-misses-dress.aspx

what material will you make it in.

I brought the same pattern. I have not made it yet. But it looks easy. I thought I could put some sparkle around the neck line some how.

I would use something soft and flowing. Silky type. But something that you can't see through.

Edited by geocruiser

Another question for all you sewers past and present out there do you just sew before a cruise or do you sew all year round for you cruise clothes? I find that I sew more the weeks before a cruise. Making time to sew is hard. I find tht I buy more fabric than I need. Cleaned out my fabric stash this year and brought to my church. Now I have only the ones I really like. I hope to start sewing this week.

• 2 weeks later...

I found this fun fabric at Walmart this weekend for $2.50 a yard! It's a rayon challis so I'm sewing a flowy maxi skirt. Just one seam, hem and elastic casing. Should be quick. I will try to post a pic when I'm done. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363622165.671691.jpg.99af3de8bafca7ad62af839e3f54eb64.jpg

I found this fun fabric at Walmart this weekend for $2.50 a yard! It's a rayon challis so I'm sewing a flowy maxi skirt. Just one seam, hem and elastic casing. Should be quick. I will try to post a pic when I'm done. [ATTACH]264805[/ATTACH]

Beautiful fabric. I have some fabric that looks just like yours. Our Wal-Mart here in Fl doesn't carry fabric. But, back home in upstate NY they do. Maybe you can tell me how to post a picture?

This has inspired me to pull down my sewing machine from a shelf in the garage (new in the box for the last 3 years).

I sewed a lot in my youth and when we moved to the US I sold my Singer as it wouldn't work over here. I eventually got a new one here but haven't had any time but I might just run up a few sarongs and flowy type skirts when I can find a spare hour or two. I already have tons of material that I shipped with me which will be perfect for the heat.

However, I am not sure I have the patience these days to make anything formal or fancy anymore but I have dozens of new pattern that I used to pick up every time it was Presidents Day or Labor Day in Joanne's as they would do 10 patterns for $10 on any price patterns including Vogue etc. so I would get 10 and the other half would be given 10 to pay for too, so have some great patterns just collecting dust.

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

Beautiful fabric. I have some fabric that looks just like yours. Our Wal-Mart here in Fl doesn't carry fabric. But, back home in upstate NY they do. Maybe you can tell me how to post a picture?

I'm not sure I can help. I use Tapatalk on my phone so I took the picture with my phone and it was easy to load.

The Walmart I usually go to doesn't carry fabric anymore either. I hate that. We were out of town at another Walmart when I found it.

It is so difficult to even find any patterns here, I can't believe how most everyone here does it. I either buy my material...we do have wide choice of that, and take it to a tailor with either a picture or a piece of clothing and he takes it from there. Amazing how cheap the labor is. I have learned to make a few basic tops, skirts and flowing pants by using a sample myself.

It is so difficult to even find any patterns here, I can't believe how most everyone here does it. I either buy my material...we do have wide choice of that, and take it to a tailor with either a picture or a piece of clothing and he takes it from there. Amazing how cheap the labor is. I have learned to make a few basic tops, skirts and flowing pants by using a sample myself.

Do you have a Joann's fabric? They have patterns too.

No afraid not...I live in Cozumel, but I have even checked in Cancun. Very rare to find ANY patterns here.

You may be able to get them on line. When they go on sale Simplicity, Butterwick and McCall's cost 99 cents or $1.99 each. Vogue will cost $3.99 each on sale.

http://www.joann.com/

Simplicity does ship to Mexico I believe. They do have sales too.

http://www.simplicity.com/t-shipping.aspx

Edited by geocruiser

• 2 weeks later...

A wonderful new TV show has started in the UK, "The Great British Sewing Bee". Episode 1 is on youtube now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8te1WAO20I&feature=youtu.be

In the first episode, the sewers first sew an A-line skirt from a pattern. Next, they get an off-the-rack top that they have to modify. Last, they sew a pattern to fit an actual person.

It is really fascinating to watch other home sewers work and to see their results (and their flops -- I've made the same mistake one sewer does, attaching a facing the wrong direction).

Following the time-honored tradition of US television "borrowing" from the UK, I hope we see a US version of this show soon!

A wonderful new TV show has started in the UK, "The Great British Sewing Bee". Episode 1 is on youtube now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8te1WAO20I&feature=youtu.be

In the first episode, the sewers first sew an A-line skirt from a pattern. Next, they get an off-the-rack top that they have to modify. Last, they sew a pattern to fit an actual person.

It is really fascinating to watch other home sewers work and to see their results (and their flops -- I've made the same mistake one sewer does, attaching a facing the wrong direction).

Following the time-honored tradition of US television "borrowing" from the UK, I hope we see a US version of this show soon!

Coming out of lurkdom to thank you for the link! I watched the entire episode, and will watch the youtubes for more. It was actually inspiring me to expand beyond pillow covers and window valances, and remember my high school home ec classes.