Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

Have fun on your cruise! For knits make sure you are using a ball point or a stretch needle. Universal does not work well with knits.

Lisa

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are so right about using the right needle for the job. It really makes a difference.

https://www.schmetzneedles.com/all-about-needles/

A very beginner at sewing. I’m going to read all these to see if I can pick up any hints or do and don’t

Thank you for sharing

Welcome to the wonderful world of sewing.

I like to recommend Youtube for tutorials, any version of Vogue sewing book for skills building, and to remember....we learn from failure, as well as success. Do not be afraid of trying something for fear of failure. No one will die if it is not perfect. Cheap fabric can make a project difficult, but good fabric at a cheap price from second hand stores for tedt samples can still result in a good garment...or a good learning experience. Also, adult learners seem to feel they need to undersrand it all before they even begin. Get over it. Start with step 1, try it, then step 2...do that...and so (sew) on. If stuck, 'call a friend' or watch Youtube. The end result will ultimately show itself. It's how we learned at grade school. Still works at 50, 60, or 82.

My new Brother sewing machine arrived on Sunday. Unfortunately, I spent the entire day at the hospital with my mom. It was also her birthday, so a sucky day all around. Good news is she is finally back home and, fingers crossed, I get to play with the new machine today. I am so ready to break open the box and try it out.

For our new sewer, arcone, Welcome to the Group! My best advice is start with basic/easy patterns and go from there. I create a tester piece for every new pattern I make. Basically, use fabric that I will not be heartbroken if it does not fit. Once I get the pattern sizing down, then I am cutting the fabrics I love. I am completely self taught, never took a sewing class, and found that YouTube is a phenomenal resource. From how to use your specific sewing machine, to technique, fabric differences, etc., YouTube is your friend. There are also great websites and blogs out there too. I love the blog for Patterns for Pirates. They address both knits and wovens in the blogs, and sell PDF patterns. Good look with sewing and please post pictures and questions. We are a very supportive and helpful group with a vast array of knowledge and experience.

Lisa

My new Brother sewing machine arrived on Sunday. Unfortunately, I spent the entire day at the hospital with my mom. It was also her birthday, so a sucky day all around. Good news is she is finally back home and, fingers crossed, I get to play with the new machine today. I am so ready to break open the box and try it out.

For our new sewer, arcone, Welcome to the Group! My best advice is start with basic/easy patterns and go from there. I create a tester piece for every new pattern I make. Basically, use fabric that I will not be heartbroken if it does not fit. Once I get the pattern sizing down, then I am cutting the fabrics I love. I am completely self taught, never took a sewing class, and found that YouTube is a phenomenal resource. From how to use your specific sewing machine, to technique, fabric differences, etc., YouTube is your friend. There are also great websites and blogs out there too. I love the blog for Patterns for Pirates. They address both knits and wovens in the blogs, and sell PDF patterns. Good look with sewing and please post pictures and questions. We are a very supportive and helpful group with a vast array of knowledge and experience.

Lisa

Very sorry to hear that your mom was sick. I hope that she will be feeling better real fast.

Enjoy your new sewing machine today. And send your mom my best wishes for a speedy recovery and a belated Happy Birthday.

The tester of the bikini bottoms are done! I put on the whole bikini and went into the shower for the water test. The fit is great wet and dry. The one thing I am tweaking is reducing the leg elastic 1 inch. It's not too loose now, but I want it a tiny bit snugger in the back going towards the crotch seam.

Now the big decision is do I start a tester of the swim shirt/rash guard or start making bikinis? I am leaning towards the bikinis and start the shirts later.

Oh, I am getting much better with pattern placement and maximizing my fabric.

Lisa

The tester of the bikini bottoms are done! I put on the whole bikini and went into the shower for the water test. The fit is great wet and dry. The one thing I am tweaking is reducing the leg elastic 1 inch. It's not too loose now, but I want it a tiny bit snugger in the back going towards the crotch seam.

Now the big decision is do I start a tester of the swim shirt/rash guard or start making bikinis? I am leaning towards the bikinis and start the shirts later.

Oh, I am getting much better with pattern placement and maximizing my fabric.

Lisa

Machine looks to sew great. I am also a quilter, so a good machine can make all the difference in the world. Congrats.

Good for you for hsving the discipline to make testers first and realizing where tweaks will creat better fit.

By now I would be cutting up the fun stuff for the real deals. You don't want to forget what you did and need to do :)

Machine looks to sew great. I am also a quilter, so a good machine can make all the difference in the world. Congrats.

Good for you for hsving the discipline to make testers first and realizing where tweaks will creat better fit.

By now I would be cutting up the fun stuff for the real deals. You don't want to forget what you did and need to do :)

I always make notes on the instructions of all the pattern adjustments from the tester. If I ever lose the pattern pieces, I can reprint and cut to the specifications I noted. :)

Lisa

This has nothing to do with sewing...but after 5 years of being blonde I have gone back to my natural hair color, red. Just can’t justify spending $180 every 4-6 weeks on the cut and color. I will start coloring at home in 6 weeks. And that leaves a lot of extra money for fabric! [emoji4]

d09f19300d0fa359d0dda808f69afc86.jpg

Lisa

This has nothing to do with sewing...but after 5 years of being blonde I have gone back to my natural hair color, red. Just can’t justify spending $180 every 4-6 weeks on the cut and color. I will start coloring at home in 6 weeks. And that leaves a lot of extra money for fabric! [emoji4]

Lisa

It's such a beautiful colour as is, why colour at all?

I have always loved your user name, Texas being my longest state of resident in my adult life...and being married to a red head (whose hair has sadly become more and more brown with age...). I remember when you started dying it blonde and changed your avatar...I was so sorry to see that because I thought your hair was gorgeous before. (Not that blonde was horrible...I was just so partial to the red). I'm loving that you are going back to red...not that my opinion means ANYTHING. You look great! Your red is fabulous and your asymmetrical cut is so fun.

Another vote for loving the red hair:) I do understand wanting a change/something different though - I have very straight hair and often want curls while many with naturally curly hair sometimes want it straightened. I think the same is often true with colors.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, RedHeadTexan said:

Yes!  That is Fargo and he is a 10 year old Maine Coon.  He is a very sweet and loving boy.  25 pounds of fluffy love.  

Lisa

He is gorgeous!   

We had a female Maine Coon, Daisy.  That's where my screen name comes from.  She was a brown tabby with white.  Very sadly we lost her to cancer at age 6.  We still miss her terribly.  We have 3 other cats, but I miss my Daisy.  

One of our three is a calico too.  

Edited by Daisyloo

5 hours ago, Daisyloo said:

He is gorgeous!   

We had a female Maine Coon, Daisy.  That's where my screen name comes from.  She was a brown tabby with white.  Very sadly we lost her to cancer at age 6.  We still miss her terribly.  We have 3 other cats, but I miss my Daisy.  

One of our three is a calico too.  

We lost Fargo's brother, Dakota, a year ago.  He was 9 and in renal failure.  Maine Coons are awesome cats and I missed my buddy, Dakota very much.

Lisa

DSC00019.JPG