Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

Exactly!

I sewed casually on-and-off for several years, but it wasn't until I bought a really good serger and sewing machine that it became fun.

I agree. I have been lucky and have loved the machines that I have brought. I have them a while. The Desiginer 1 was the top of the line when I brought it (that tells you how old it is). Still run like a charm and never had any trouble with it. My serger was the one under the top of the line. It has four threads.

That is when I wanted to start to make cruise clothers. I don't use the embroidery that much. But I like having the option. There are lots of other great machine that are great for sewing. Getting a good machine that is easy to use is important.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
So glad I found this discussion! I've just finished a silk lined, fitted, linen dress and I'm taking it on a cruise departing next week, so I guess you can count me in as sewing for a cruise.

Wow! That sounds real nice. I wish I was that good of a sewer. I have so may plans to sew and life gets in the way. You cruise is coming up real soon. Where are you going?

8/1 I get my shoulder done and on 8/10 the splint come off my finger and then it is a wait and see. BUT I am going to try to cut out some easy pants to sew while my shoulder gets better!

Hi,

Thanks for the heads up about Fabric.com. I've been wanting a pair (or 2) Linen pants but couldn't find them long enough. I don't mind capri's but have several pair and wanted long ones. I purchased enough pretty linen fabric to make a straight leg and a wide flowey legged pair.. I am so excited. Will come back and post when their made! The dresses are pretty but I don't wear dresses.. lol

• Like 1

Geocruiser, I'll be on Sea Princess cruising to Alaska. I made the linen dress in conjunction with an online class called "The Couture Dress" at crafts dot com.

Will check it out. I also read and get Threads. The have a feature for extra money called "Insiders" Lots of tips there for me.

I am going to try to cut something out that is easy tomorrow, like a simple pair of pants. But my sewing may be on hold for a while. Wed I am having my shoulder fix. So that may keep me from sewing. Having one hand to use!

Do you all so read Pattern Review . com?

You will love Alaska. We did a 14 night on Tahitian Princess a few years back. I did make a skirt for that cruise. I could not help myself then. The fabric had fish on it that looked like salmon. I don't quilt, but the shops in Alaska have beautiful Alaska fabric.

Edited by geocruiser

• 6 months later...

I am hoping to some sewing for my next cruise in December. Some casual and maybe some outfits for the evening.

When I last cruised, some 13 years ago, I used to do the majority of my wardrobe. This generally included one formal outfit and another dressier outfit.

I am hoping that if I loss more weight I will fit into more of my previous cruise wear. I generally fell in love with one main piece of material and if it was a pattern, I would pick colors from it to build a mix and match wardrobe.

Diana

I am making another pair of pants Vogue 8584. Real easy to make and they fit great. They are a loose fit.

http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v8584-products-9972.php?page_id=264&search_control=display&list=search

Those are adorable! What kind of fabric are you going to use?

My pre-cruise sewing is all sizing down my mother's favorite shirts because they're all way too big for her now. Oh, and hemming her new pants. :rolleyes:

I sew a lot of clothing, and do lots of alterations. My machines are 50-60 years old..but I wouldn't change them for anything!

This coming trip, I have had to take in nearly every 'bottom'...skirts, pants, shorts, capris..everything. I have also made one formal and altered 2 more. I have also made nighties, pj's and robes for me...and a bunch for a friend as a gift.

Quite often, I don't use a pattern, just design what I am looking for, using bits and pieces of various patterns. One pattern (or 2 or three) I am looking for is for a dress similar to what Angelia Jolie worn last year (black with the long slit)...except, I want long sleeves and a plunging (but not indecent) neckline. Not wanting much am I ?

I also started a bad habit on some of my cruises. Looking for a fabric store in some of the ports and bringing a piece of material back. I have sewn two of the three fabrics that I brought back. I made a dress from some material from Copenhagen Denmark and a skirt and top out of fabric from Barcelonia. I'll include some pictures in my next posting. I'm not sure where my fabric is from Martinique. I'll have to search thru my fabric stash.

Diana. :D

Ps - Where in Nova Scotia are you at. I was born in Truro and all my Mom's family was from Debert

Edited by dmb3070
Adding info
  • Like 1

Those are adorable! What kind of fabric are you going to use?

My pre-cruise sewing is all sizing down my mother's favorite shirts because they're all way too big for her now. Oh, and hemming her new pants. :rolleyes:

I am using a multi green sere sucker (spelling?). I do use cotton fabric a lot. It is easy to sew with.

Allis154,

You seem to be a good sewer. I think taking in clothes is harder than sewing them from start.

I love my machines too. I get use to a machine and don't want to change. I also use a serger. I love the way it finishes a seam.

Glad this thread was resurrected! I have my skirt fabric & pattern ready to go (pattern is actually pinned to the fabric), but told myself I absolutely had to make the pinch pleated drapes for the living room first. But here's the thing, I hate working with huge pieces of fabric ... I don't have the room to work with it properly and always wind up making small mistakes that I see every time I look at the piece.

So I took my fabric to a local small drapery shop and they made drapes for five windows, plus two pillows in 5 days - and they look beautiful and perfect! I think you have to get to the point where you admit your shortcomings, and mine is projects like this.

So now I can actually sew this skirt, and if it works then I'll be ready to make a couple of things for the next cruise :)

.....Ps - Where in Nova Scotia are you at. I was born in Truro and all my Mom's family was from Debert

I am just outside of Truro...and I have a brother who lives in Debert! Small world! My parents were born in Sask. and I still have family 'out west'.

...Allis154,

You seem to be a good sewer. I think taking in clothes is harder than sewing them from start.

I love my machines too. I get use to a machine and don't want to change. I also use a serger. I love the way it finishes a seam.

Thank you...I agree with alterations being harder than from scratch! It takes a couple of hours to alter a shirt...and I could make one in that time! I hate altering so much that the stuff just piles up until I have a whole weekend (or more) to do! That is what happened this time...spent most of the summer holding my clothes up!:eek::D

Edited by Allis154

I also started a bad habit on some of my cruises. Looking for a fabric store in some of the ports and bringing a piece of material back. I have sewn two of the three fabrics that I brought back. I made a dress from some material from Copenhagen Denmark and a skirt and top out of fabric from Barcelonia. I'll include some pictures in my next posting. I'm not sure where my fabric is from Martinique. I'll have to search thru my fabric stash.

Ps - Where in Nova Scotia are you at. I was born in Truro and all my Mom's family was from Debert

I look for fabric while in port too. I have not brought any as of yet in port, but hope to.

Edited by geocruiser

Glad this thread was resurrected! I have my skirt fabric & pattern ready to go (pattern is actually pinned to the fabric), but told myself I absolutely had to make the pinch pleated drapes for the living room first. But here's the thing, I hate working with huge pieces of fabric ... I don't have the room to work with it properly and always wind up making small mistakes that I see every time I look at the piece.

So I took my fabric to a local small drapery shop and they made drapes for five windows, plus two pillows in 5 days - and they look beautiful and perfect! I think you have to get to the point where you admit your shortcomings, and mine is projects like this.

So now I can actually sew this skirt, and if it works then I'll be ready to make a couple of things for the next cruise :)

I have also had it with home dec. I hate making pinch pleats. Have done them for our kitchen (short length) for a 72 inch window and for the smaller widows around the sink. All the window had to be made because of their sizes were different and could not buy ready made. I don't want to make another thing for our homes. Now I want to sew for me!

I love this idea! What a great reminder of your cruise once you sew the fabric into something to wear at home! Does anyone have any fabric shopping recommendations for the Caribbean?

Gosh, this thread about sewing has filled me with nostalgia for all the sewing I used to do. I used to love to sit in fabric stores and hunt through pattern catalogs, dreaming of things to sew. Toward the end I sewed mostly household items such as place mats, runners, tablecloths, pillow covers and so on. I also dabbled in quilting...spent a fortune on quilting gadgets.

Now, I have arthritis in my fingers and wrists and it is too painful to sew. Besides I have lost feeling in my fingertips and can't even feel the thread any more. But reading what you all ahve been saying brings back so many happy memories. I wish you alll luck on your sewing projects and wish I could join you, but I'll be there with you in spirit.

• Like 1

Gosh, this thread about sewing has filled me with nostalgia for all the sewing I used to do. I used to love to sit in fabric stores and hunt through pattern catalogs, dreaming of things to sew. Toward the end I sewed mostly household items such as place mats, runners, tablecloths, pillow covers and so on. I also dabbled in quilting...spent a fortune on quilting gadgets.

Now, I have arthritis in my fingers and wrists and it is too painful to sew. Besides I have lost feeling in my fingertips and can't even feel the thread any more. But reading what you all ahve been saying brings back so many happy memories. I wish you alll luck on your sewing projects and wish I could join you, but I'll be there with you in spirit.

I so sympathize with you! Arthritis (thumb joints) hasn't interfered with my sewing much yet, but the other day I tried to crochet again after some years -- it was awful. And I'd just got a new book on crocheting borders for garments that I was excited to try...

• Like 1

Saw some of that cute fleece fabric that's pretty much fleecy on both sides. No skills to make any sort of baby sack or clothing but was wondering about just buying a length and sewing it up as a double-thick small throw for baby.

Didn't know if it would require any sort of batting or fabric between the layers or if it needed to be somehow cross-stitched or quilted to hold shape.

Any other suggestions for how to easily use some of it appreciated, too.

Thanks!

Saw some of that cute fleece fabric that's pretty much fleecy on both sides. No skills to make any sort of baby sack or clothing but was wondering about just buying a length and sewing it up as a double-thick small throw for baby.

Didn't know if it would require any sort of batting or fabric between the layers or if it needed to be somehow cross-stitched or quilted to hold shape.

Any other suggestions for how to easily use some of it appreciated, too.

Thanks!

Fleece is so warm, it doesn't need any fabric between the layers. You might be interested in trying a no-sew fleece blanket? They're really popular. Here's a blog post that does a good step-by-step with lots of photos: http://lacee-mommaslikeme.blogspot.com/2011/08/no-sew-fleece-tie-blanket-tutorial.html

If you want to sew it, you could place the two same-size pieces of fleece right sides (the side you want to show) together. Stitch along three sides and a portion of the fourth side. Turn inside out through the unstitched section of the fourth side, and then stitch that opening closed. That method might give you a bulky seam along the sides, because it results in four layers of fleece along the seams. To help hold the layers together and give it a bit more shape, you can then stitch close to the edge all the way around the edge, and even do a second row another 1/2 inch or 1 inch in.

Another method is to get satin blanket binding at the fabric store. Put the two pieces of fleece wrong sides together, and then sew the binding around the outside edge, either by machine or by hand.