Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

A wonderful new TV show has started in the UK, "The Great British Sewing Bee". Episode 1 is on youtube now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8te1WAO20I&feature=youtu.be

In the first episode, the sewers first sew an A-line skirt from a pattern. Next, they get an off-the-rack top that they have to modify. Last, they sew a pattern to fit an actual person.

It is really fascinating to watch other home sewers work and to see their results (and their flops -- I've made the same mistake one sewer does, attaching a facing the wrong direction).

Following the time-honored tradition of US television "borrowing" from the UK, I hope we see a US version of this show soon!

This sounds great - I can't wait to watch! I've been sewing this afternoon for my cruise.

ams1130,

I am goin g to watch it too. Will they be putting every shop on youtube?

Kim_KS

What are you making?

I made the maxi skirt mentioned above and this sundress (out of the fabric in the pic)ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365339819.876609.jpg.f89cf6c732f54c12cd77ed11f4325341.jpg. I'm not quite done with the dress but I will try to post a picture when it is finished. It was really quick and easy!

I made the maxi skirt mentioned above and this sundress (out of the fabric in the pic)[ATTACH]267203[/ATTACH]. I'm not quite done with the dress but I will try to post a picture when it is finished. It was really quick and easy!

Really a nice pattern, it will look great on a cruise. Have you seem the web site for Pattern Reviews. You can a pattern number and if some one wrote a review on it (most have pictures) you can see if it was easy to so. They also give info on the patern, what they liked or disliked.

http://sewing.patternreview.com/

Edited by geocruiser

Really a nice pattern, it will look great on a cruise. Have you seem the web site for Pattern Reviews. You can a pattern number and if some one wrote a review on it (most have pictures) you can see if it was easy to so. They also give info on the patern, what they liked or disliked.

http://sewing.patternreview.com/

Yes! I love that site! I always read the reviews before I buy a pattern to make sure it's a good one. And I love seeing pictures of the finished products. Sometimes they are nothing like what you thought it would be. :)

Thanks for posting; have enjoyed both episodes so far. I have never sewn pants with a fly front and am not sure, even after watching, I would tackle such a thing!

Elastic is my friend. I would not even try at this point to do a fly front. I need to learn more before I can do that. I posted this link before, but these are one of my favorite pants to sew with elastic waist band. Good to take on a cruise because the elastic gives after I eat too much.

http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v8584-products-9972.php?page_id=264&search_control=display&list=search

Elastic is my friend. I would not even try at this point to do a fly front. I need to learn more before I can do that. I posted this link before, but these are one of my favorite pants to sew with elastic waist band. Good to take on a cruise because the elastic gives after I eat too much.

http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v8584-products-9972.php?page_id=264&search_control=display&list=search

I agree - I have never even put in a zipper - lol. I love elastic when it comes to sewing. Anything more difficult I leave for my mom to sew for me. :)

These pants are SO cute! What type of fabric do you use for them?

I agree - I have never even put in a zipper - lol. I love elastic when it comes to sewing. Anything more difficult I leave for my mom to sew for me. :)

These pants are SO cute! What type of fabric do you use for them?

I have used a seersucker type for one pair and cotton fabric for another pair wihch I am working on. The light weight fabric is great for warm weather cruise wear. I find (for me) that my home made pants with elastic waist band fit much better than the ones in the store. I am able to put the right amount of easy of fabric into the pants around the waist and hips. Most time I will wear my shirt out over the waist band, so no one knows that they have an elastic waist band.

• 8 months later...

Oh that material is beautiful. I can not wait to see the finished project.

And I had no idea there was a sewing board lol thanks for posting the link on the other board.

I should have posted about the cushions here.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Forums mobile app

Oh that material is beautiful. I can not wait to see the finished project.

And I had no idea there was a sewing board lol thanks for posting the link on the other board.

I should have posted about the cushions here.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Forums mobile app

This thread was not too active. I would think you got help finding the bag much faster on the other threads. To find this thread before today you would have had to dig back I time. I sure the ladies on the other thread love seeing your pillows and much as I did.

I have not posted any picture yet on CC. I hope to learn how to do in in the future. We got a new windows 8 computer and still don't know how to get the pic into the computer. We are both recovering (dh from surgery and me rom a fall), so I hope to learn the computer soon.

What kind of machine do you use? I am using a older one a D1 Viking and a 910 serger.

I have three different fabrics for fall/winter fabrics ready to go, but we're undergoing some renovations and my sewing room has become the dumping ground for everything that has no where else to go. At this rate, I'll finish that stuff in time for our ALASKA cruise - and not for the winter months!

The fabrics and patterns are all for the serger, which I have only used for home dec. I can hardly wait til I can work on these projects!

I just love using a serger. It is easier than other methods of seam finishing. I don't like raw edges at all. I hope that your sewing room come out nice. I would love to have one. Now I am using the off/sewing room. But I have to cut out on one of my tables in the kitchen or dining rooms.

Edited by geocruiser

I would be sewing for our next cruise but I had spinal surgery about 10 days ago. Too painful before the surgery and can't under Dr. orders after the surgery. I'm hoping that he will let me soon because I have some great patterns and fabrics waiting. :D

I would be sewing for our next cruise but I had spinal surgery about 10 days ago. Too painful before the surgery and can't under Dr. orders after the surgery. I'm hoping that he will let me soon because I have some great patterns and fabrics waiting. :D

Wishing you well. I hope that you will feel better soon.

You can't sew right now, but we can chat about sewing here. I am all most done with the blouse. And it seems to fit!

Wishing you well. I hope that you will feel better soon.

You can't sew right now, but we can chat about sewing here. I am all most done with the blouse. And it seems to fit!

Thanks for the encouragement! It's been a long and painful road that hopefully is coming to a healing end.

Fitting is always a good thing!! I've had issues with that sometimes because I'm not all one size or I guess that I mean not the same size everywhere (like most of us).

I see the surgeon tomorrow so maybe I'll get permission to sew at least an hour or two a day. :D

Thanks for the encouragement! It's been a long and painful road that hopefully is coming to a healing end.

Fitting is always a good thing!! I've had issues with that sometimes because I'm not all one size or I guess that I mean not the same size everywhere (like most of us).

I see the surgeon tomorrow so maybe I'll get permission to sew at least an hour or two a day. :D

Don't push the sewing. Better to heal first.

Fitting can be hard. I have been sewing for a while but not all the time. Some times I go months with out doing any. Get busy with other things and just have no time. I mostly sew on cotton fabric. It is easy to sew. If I keep up the sewing next I will go to a different fabric. I have not sew on stretch knits yet. But would like to.

Don't push the sewing. Better to heal first.

Fitting can be hard. I have been sewing for a while but not all the time. Some times I go months with out doing any. Get busy with other things and just have no time. I mostly sew on cotton fabric. It is easy to sew. If I keep up the sewing next I will go to a different fabric. I have not sew on stretch knits yet. But would like to.

I've been sewing my own clothes since I was 12 and that was many years ago for me. :rolleyes: There were times when I didn't sew for long periods of time but I always seem to come back to it. In the last few years I've mostly made formal dresses for cruising. I've also made things for my granddaughter who recently turned two. BTW, the surgeon said that I could start sewing for short periods of time. :D

Can you post a picture of your blouse? I'd love to see it.

I've been sewing my own clothes since I was 12 and that was many years ago for me. :rolleyes: There were times when I didn't sew for long periods of time but I always seem to come back to it. In the last few years I've mostly made formal dresses for cruising. I've also made things for my granddaughter who recently turned two. BTW, the surgeon said that I could start sewing for short periods of time. :D

Can you post a picture of your blouse? I'd love to see it.

The blouse came out great. I have a new windows 8 computer and as of now I don't know how to download pictures into it. I have to see if there is a program in the computer to do it. I do want to learn how to do that. I will look into it.

Happy to hear that the surgeon said that you can sew for a little while. It is hard to be home and not able to do what you want. Last year I had my shoulder done and was stuck in the house (no driving), It would have been fine if I could have leaned over the sewing machine.

The blouse came out great. I have a new windows 8 computer and as of now I don't know how to download pictures into it. I have to see if there is a program in the computer to do it. I do want to learn how to do that. I will look into it.

Happy to hear that the surgeon said that you can sew for a little while. It is hard to be home and not able to do what you want. Last year I had my shoulder done and was stuck in the house (no driving), It would have been fine if I could have leaned over the sewing machine.

I don't know how to post pictures either. I usually send them to a friend who then posts them for me. :o

I got a couple of things cut out today in addition to starting the walking program my surgeon required me to start for PT. Hopefully, I will feel OK tomorrow. BTW, I'm not allowed to drive for at least a couple of weeks. It depends on how well I do in the walking program.

I see the surgeon again on Jan. 13th. We're supposed to visit our son, DIL, granddaughter and brand new grandson in Texas starting the 18th (he's due Jan. 9th) but I don't know if the Dr. will let me fly at that time. We might have to move the trip but I really hope not.

I see the surgeon again on Jan. 13th. We're supposed to visit our son, DIL, granddaughter and brand new grandson in Texas starting the 18th (he's due Jan. 9th) but I don't know if the Dr. will let me fly at that time. We might have to move the trip but I really hope not.

Aren't grands the best? My newest one is about two weeks old. Cute as a button (but I'm not biased)

I already have patterns purchased for my next cruise (2015) and will have a seamstress friend make them. She's much faster and can custom-fit better than I can. Since I will be finishing up my degree about a month before the cruise, I'll let her sew for me.

Aren't grands the best? My newest one is about two weeks old. Cute as a button (but I'm not biased)

I already have patterns purchased for my next cruise (2015) and will have a seamstress friend make them. She's much faster and can custom-fit better than I can. Since I will be finishing up my degree about a month before the cruise, I'll let her sew for me.

I wish I had a seamstress friend so I could learn off her. Happy to hear that you will be getting your degree. I got mine when I was 45 years old. I am happy that I did.