Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

I am deconstructing another bikini top that is too big on me.  My bottoms are black and not patterned.  I am doing the same style as the last one and am salvaging the back and straps.  Coloring blocking with black this time since I have a 1/2 yard of it in my stash.

6B961166-CD56-4727-AE5C-E51D9A56E95E.png

0B9883B9-476E-45E0-BA96-FBF1A8F42D40.png

What a lot of fun new swimsuits....though I don't envy you the job. Not my most fave type of project or fabric.  Your dress form photos have reminded me that I need to dust mine off, remove the detritus collected on her, adjust her to fit and start using her for some of those 'no pattern' plans - like a bias nightgown starting with squares of fabric - but fabric is limited. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's not quite clothes, but I did sew this drawstring bag for our cruise coming up in June on Freedom OTS. It was made from a fabric panel and some quilting cotton. It is fully lined with the patterned quilting cotton you see at the top. It draws closed tight at the top. I made it because I am 6ft tall, and wanted a large drawstring backpack. Most are too small to suit me.

20190321_120857.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, melissagrf said:

Well, it's not quite clothes, but I did sew this drawstring bag for our cruise coming up in June on Freedom OTS. It was made from a fabric panel and some quilting cotton. It is fully lined with the patterned quilting cotton you see at the top. It draws closed tight at the top. I made it because I am 6ft tall, and wanted a large drawstring backpack. Most are too small to suit me.

20190321_120857.jpg

What a wonderful bag.  I just love the fabric pattern.  I love the rope too.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello every one,

I just got my copy of Sew New in the mail yesterday.  The two magazines that I get are Threads and Sew News.  I like Threads better than Sew News.  I think that most times it has more info.

Sew, what sewing magazines to you buy?

I'm between spring and summer semesters. I did a ton of cleaning, but I pulled out my machine and made a simple dress bag for my skating dresses. I didn't make the dress, but used it to make the bag because it's my longest dress at almost knee length.

20190512_133057.jpg

20190512_133117.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, redlady62 said:

I subscribe the 'Insider" which is part of the Treads magazine.  A long time ago I use to subscribe to the Vogue Sewing magazine. Do not remember how I stumbled on to Threads, but I do love it.

I also like "Insider".  I did belong, and don't remember if I still belong.  The past year has been sew (pun intended) busy, that I don't know .  Will check it out.

11 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

I'm between spring and summer semesters. I did a ton of cleaning, but I pulled out my machine and made a simple dress bag for my skating dresses. I didn't make the dress, but used it to make the bag because it's my longest dress at almost knee length.

20190512_133057.jpg

20190512_133117.jpg

Very nice garment bag.  Do you do ice skating?

18 hours ago, redlady62 said:

I subscribe the 'Insider" which is part of the Treads magazine.  A long time ago I use to subscribe to the Vogue Sewing magazine. Do not remember how I stumbled on to Threads, but I do love it.

Thanks for reminding me about "Insiders."  I just subscribed to it for $12.95 for the year.  I know that I will enjoy it again.

Edited by geocruiser

11 hours ago, geocruiser said:

Very nice garment bag.  Do you do ice skating?

Yes, I do. Been at it for about 16 years. I'm a very low-level adult. I do compete,  but mostly, I have fun, work hard, and maintain sanity.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2019 at 7:25 PM, PurpleHays said:

Yes, I do. Been at it for about 16 years. I'm a very low-level adult. I do compete,  but mostly, I have fun, work hard, and maintain sanity.

I have never been on ice skate.  I would land on my butt.  It is great that you do skate.

Just now, geocruiser said:

I have never been on ice skate.  I would land on my butt.  It is great that you do skate.

I have landed on my butt too many times to count. It's better than the alternative of wrist (broken) and head (gashed open with the added benefit of a concussion/TBI). It's not for the faint of heart.

48 minutes ago, PurpleHays said:

I have landed on my butt too many times to count. It's better than the alternative of wrist (broken) and head (gashed open with the added benefit of a concussion/TBI). It's not for the faint of heart.

Wow.  you can really get hurt.  Have you sewn any of your skating outfits?

18 minutes ago, geocruiser said:

Wow.  you can really get hurt.  Have you sewn any of your skating outfits?

Initially, yes. Now I have a combination of skirts, dresses, and leggings. I have someone much better than me designing and sewing my next dress.

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, nikkiw60 said:

Not been on here for a while as too busy sewing! I finished this last week in time for tonight our last night! The fabric is scuba.

Very cute and a great colour on you.  Scuba - as in Neoprene?  I did a quick google and it seems to be a double knit with a neoprene loft, but not as firm.  Was it difficult to sew with? 

It sort of reminds me of my earliest clothing. I started sewing my own wardrobes at 13 - 1970 - Fortrel. Great stuff that revolutionized clothing  -  no finishing seams, no pressing, wash and wear and great finishes to it.  Of course, that might also have been what killed 'polyester' for a decade or 2.  Thank goodness we are more tolerant and textiles have adapted.

Well, I'm back from 2.5 months of travel and cruising.  Remember this blouse and jacket I modified?

1701935947_Aquablouseandbrownchiffonjacket.JPG.6541db7d841d76e0a87cb97806e426a8.JPG

They were perfect for RCCL's "less than formal" formal night.  Very trendy with shorter front.  I also wore it with another white blouse with brown and taupe small scattered flowers.  Versatile jacket.  I will look for additional blouses to take in the future.  Ebay, here I come!!!

Nikkiw60,

Your dress is beautiful.  You have been busy.  I also would like to know about the fabric.  Is it Thick?  Easy to sew?

Pcur,

Happy to hear that your beautiful jacket was a hit.  It really is very pretty.  The blouse is lovely too.  Great cruise wear.