Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

19 hours ago, redlady62 said:

Gorgeous looking dress. May I ask about the pattern? I would not have to add to the top (short waisted) but may need/want length in the skirt (all of my height is in my legs!)  Thinking this would be good for sea days instead of wearing shorts. Dresses can be squished for packing and easily  rinsed in the bathroom sink and hung to dry.

This is the Naomi from www.madeformermaids.com .  It's part of their resort collection.  All their patterns are pdf files that you print and tape together.  Read the instructions before printing the pattern.  You can hide all the sizes except for your size...makes it much easier to tape together.  

Lisa

• Like 1

I have lost a lot of weight this year, so that’s why I am sewing like a crazy person.  Weight loss is intentional, so no worries there.  This week I noticed that my pj bottoms are literally falling off of me, so I found a short pattern that is perfect for pj’s.  I did not have enough llama fabric to do the band, so a pop of pink from my stash.  I took close ups of the hem so you can see one of tge many things my new cover stitch can do.  I will be making a tank top in pink to go with this in a few weeks.

Lisa

C9810D2D-FD15-4317-B5D1-52B3694EDC1E.jpeg

9B1D32A4-28DE-45BF-8FFB-6256CFB0FAD1.jpeg

1C8560F3-436D-43BA-B0C3-98B3A8096BBC.jpeg

• Like 3

On 6/16/2019 at 5:15 PM, purduemom1 said:

Cute pj’s. Thanks for the close up of the hem. I like the look of that hem-very professional looking. Will that stitch configuration eliminate the stretching and puckering that can occur when hemming knit fabrics? 

Sharon

There was no puckering and it was really easy to sew.  I am refereeing at a rowing regatta this weekend, so I won't get to play with the binding attachment until the end of the month.  I will definitely post some pictures of that too.

Lisa

On 6/16/2019 at 3:10 PM, RedHeadTexan said:

I have lost a lot of weight this year, so that’s why I am sewing like a crazy person.  Weight loss is intentional, so no worries there.  This week I noticed that my pj bottoms are literally falling off of me, so I found a short pattern that is perfect for pj’s.  I did not have enough llama fabric to do the band, so a pop of pink from my stash.  I took close ups of the hem so you can see one of tge many things my new cover stitch can do.  I will be making a tank top in pink to go with this in a few weeks.

Lisa

C9810D2D-FD15-4317-B5D1-52B3694EDC1E.jpeg

9B1D32A4-28DE-45BF-8FFB-6256CFB0FAD1.jpeg

1C8560F3-436D-43BA-B0C3-98B3A8096BBC.jpeg

HI Lisa,

The lama print is very cute and the pop of pink goes very well with them.  Your over lock machine does a great job.  It is so nice to have the right machine to do a project.

I'm always up to a sewing challenge, and my latest foray into Ebay turned out to be interesting.  I bought 8 new blouses and 1 cami (trying to build a wardrobe I can leave in our half-time/summer condo), for $103, all the same size. They were from 6 different manufacturers/labels, so the same size would fit entirely different, which was my challenge.

One was a charity donation.  I wear loose fitting clothing, and absolutely hate tight fitting clothes.  This knit top was made to fit snug, plus it had a spandex piece inside for even more tightness.  

The others were an interesting mix: 3 fit perfectly, and one turned out to be a very dressy top that matches exactly to a tank and pants dressy set I already have.  The others were a lined chiffon for hot weather, and a "Jessica London-type" front tucked print that I fell in love with:

s-l1600.jpg

Plus, one apricot stripe was way too tight, but I loved it.  So, I took the buttons off and made it a summer jacket with an inexpensive tank top underneath.

One was huge, but a gorgeous shell pink chiffon.  Cut the sleeves to a shorter length, and took the overly big neckline in with a seam down the back to take in the excess fabric.  Beautiful top, and it came with a matching cami, so it was a 2-fer bargain.

One I put away for Fall.

The last one required some work.  It was White Stag aqua print crepe, a brand I've known for decades runs small.  It had long sleeves (long sleeves in a crepe summer blouse don't make sense to me:  too hot), and was just a little too snug.  I cut off the sleeves, opened up the remnants from the sleeves, sewed them together, took out the yoke seam at the top back in the middle, and make an inverted pleat.  I now had a super comfy, light, flowy summer blouse.  Sewing that inverted pleat into the yoke, and getting the whole thing to hang straight, plus re-hemming at the bottom was a chore, but it worked:

Apricot striped 2019.JPG

Turquoise back 2019.JPG

Turquoise front 2019.JPG

Edited by pcur
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, pcur said:

I'm always up to a sewing challenge, and my latest foray into Ebay turned out to be interesting.  I bought 8 new blouses and 1 cami (trying to build a wardrobe I can leave in our half-time/summer condo), for $103, all the same size. They were from 6 different manufacturers/labels, so the same size would fit entirely different, which was my challenge.

One was a charity donation.  I wear loose fitting clothing, and absolutely hate tight fitting clothes.  This knit top was made to fit snug, plus it had a spandex piece inside for even more tightness.  

The others were an interesting mix: 3 fit perfectly, and one turned out to be a very dressy top that matches exactly to a tank and pants dressy set I already have.  The others were a lined chiffon for hot weather, and a "Jessica London-type" front tucked print that I fell in love with:

s-l1600.jpg

Plus, one apricot stripe was way too tight, but I loved it.  So, I took the buttons off and made it a summer jacket with an inexpensive tank top underneath.

One was huge, but a gorgeous shell pink chiffon.  Cut the sleeves to a shorter length, and took the overly big neckline in with a seam down the back to take in the excess fabric.  Beautiful top, and it came with a matching cami, so it was a 2-fer bargain.

One I put away for Fall.

The last one required some work.  It was White Stag aqua print crepe, a brand I've known for decades runs small.  It had long sleeves (long sleeves in a crepe summer blouse don't make sense to me:  too hot), and was just a little too snug.  I cut off the sleeves, opened up the remnants from the sleeves, sewed them together, took out the yoke seam at the top back in the middle, and make an inverted pleat.  I now had a super comfy, light, flowy summer blouse.  Sewing that inverted pleat into the yoke, and getting the whole thing to hang straight, plus re-hemming at the bottom was a chore, but it worked:

Apricot striped 2019.JPG

Turquoise back 2019.JPG

Turquoise front 2019.JPG

The blouses are very nice.  That was a lot of work, but worth it for the great results that you got.  It was a great bargain for so many nice tops.

4 minutes ago, geocruiser said:

The blouses are very nice.  That was a lot of work, but worth it for the great results that you got.  It was a great bargain for so many nice tops.

I love clothes, and with a limited budget, I turned to Ebay years ago.  I love re-working these tops.  I'll even buy knit long pants and make capris out of them when I need a new pair.  Ebay sellers are now charging for shipping when they used to ship for free.  However, I still average about $13 - $15 per item.

I guess 50,000 years ago I would have been digging for edible roots; now I buy and remodel clothes from Ebay!! 😁

1 hour ago, pcur said:

I love clothes, and with a limited budget, I turned to Ebay years ago.  I love re-working these tops.  I'll even buy knit long pants and make capris out of them when I need a new pair.  Ebay sellers are now charging for shipping when they used to ship for free.  However, I still average about $13 - $15 per item.

I guess 50,000 years ago I would have been digging for edible roots; now I buy and remodel clothes from Ebay!! 😁

Looks like you have found a great hobby that also pays you “dividends”. Do you ever check out consignment and thrift stores when shopping for items to make over? 

14 minutes ago, purduemom1 said:

Looks like you have found a great hobby that also pays you “dividends”. Do you ever check out consignment and thrift stores when shopping for items to make over? 

I used to do that, but I found that thrift stores had clothes that were mostly worn, faded, and shrunk.  Consignment stores were too expensive, because the seller and store both wanted their share.  Ebay carries anywhere from gently used to brand new; clothes that people are tired of wearing, lost weight, gained weight, purchased at garage sales, etc.  I have some drop-dead gorgeous clothes from Ebay:  you just have to know what to look for and be patient while you're searching.

On 6/23/2019 at 8:24 AM, pcur said:

I used to do that, but I found that thrift stores had clothes that were mostly worn, faded, and shrunk.  Consignment stores were too expensive, because the seller and store both wanted their share.  Ebay carries anywhere from gently used to brand new; clothes that people are tired of wearing, lost weight, gained weight, purchased at garage sales, etc.  I have some drop-dead gorgeous clothes from Ebay:  you just have to know what to look for and be patient while you're searching.

I agree that clothing found at many thrift stores can be a bit shabby. I have had good luck at stores run by auxiliaries as they seem to be more selective. The American Cancer Society operates The Discovery Shop and has  locations in CA and MI as well as other states.  While they generally take all donations, they only keep the best items so their clothing is very nice and is displayed nicely too. Some items come directly from store donations. I believe they donate clothing that isn’t up to their standards to other thrift stores. Since it is staffed with volunteers, the items are reasonably priced. It’s always an adventure to shop there. I thought I’d mention it as others reading these posts might also be interested.

Great job pcur!  Refashioning clothes is fun, although challenging at times.  I have a referee blouse that I need to make some changes to.  It fits perfect everywhere except for my hips.  It's a Tall cut with long sleeves, so I have length to work and possibly extra material (convert to short sleeves) to work with. 

Lisa

5 hours ago, RedHeadTexan said:

Great job pcur!  Refashioning clothes is fun, although challenging at times.  I have a referee blouse that I need to make some changes to.  It fits perfect everywhere except for my hips.  It's a Tall cut with long sleeves, so I have length to work and possibly extra material (convert to short sleeves) to work with. 

Lisa

That’s what I did, too.  Single piece added to the mid back, then made into an inverted pleat at the neck; top stitch the edges of the pleat together all the way down to make it hang better; re-hem.

I think I want a new cocktail/formal dress. I'm thinking one of these two: 

https://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v1542

https://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v1534 (shorten the skirt)

I can sew direct from the pattern, but what I cannot do is tailor to fit. I know several seamstresses--maybe I can get one to help me tailor.

I like the detail work on the top of the first dress, but don't care too much for the diagonal seam on the top of the skirt.  

The second dress I like a lot.  but if you are to do a shorter length I don't know about the fullness  of lack of by cutting the pattern shorter.

Over all both are nice.  I love the second one a bit more and I do like it in full length too.

3 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

I think I want a new cocktail/formal dress. I'm thinking one of these two: 

https://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v1542

https://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v1534 (shorten the skirt)

I can sew direct from the pattern, but what I cannot do is tailor to fit. I know several seamstresses--maybe I can get one to help me tailor.

These are beautiful. I really like the first one,  even without the tubing and neck froofroo (which I personally love) it would look great.

Have you space to house a sewing mannequin? If serious about sewing, one would help you with your alterations. It also helps to get into the practice of sewing a tester garment for fit and alterations before cutting a beautiful silk or expensive fabric.  sometimes you can find these on ebay, or a thrift store. Alternatively, make one. Here are the instructions https://www.handimania.com/diy/your-own-shape-sewing-mannequin.html

The halter could be harder to make fit perfectly. The red is more forgiving for fit. Looks like the photo of the halter is a taffeta skirt. If cut above knee short, you would need to narrow up the skirt some. Alternatively, make the skirt in a chiffon. Cut the lining a little slimmer, to fit more like a slip, but the chiffon will flow nicely with the original fullness. Or add to the stand out design with two different coloured layers of chiffon.

On 6/30/2019 at 10:02 PM, mef_57 said:

These are beautiful. I really like the first one,  even without the tubing and neck froofroo (which I personally love) it would look great.

Have you space to house a sewing mannequin? If serious about sewing, one would help you with your alterations. It also helps to get into the practice of sewing a tester garment for fit and alterations before cutting a beautiful silk or expensive fabric.  sometimes you can find these on ebay, or a thrift store. Alternatively, make one. Here are the instructions https://www.handimania.com/diy/your-own-shape-sewing-mannequin.html

The halter could be harder to make fit perfectly. The red is more forgiving for fit. Looks like the photo of the halter is a taffeta skirt. If cut above knee short, you would need to narrow up the skirt some. Alternatively, make the skirt in a chiffon. Cut the lining a little slimmer, to fit more like a slip, but the chiffon will flow nicely with the original fullness. Or add to the stand out design with two different coloured layers of chiffon.

I am currently in the final year of a graduate degree, so no time to do a lot of sewing. I do have a mannequin on my "after graduation" list. And I will definitely make it custom since I wear exactly *nothing* straight off the rack.

If I make the halter, I would do the skirt of chiffon or georgette. I prefer light and flowy over stiff. I'm leaning more toward the shorter, as long as I can attempt to tailor it to fit.

19 minutes ago, PurpleHays said:

I am currently in the final year of a graduate degree, so no time to do a lot of sewing. I do have a mannequin on my "after graduation" list. And I will definitely make it custom since I wear exactly *nothing* straight off the rack.

If I make the halter, I would do the skirt of chiffon or georgette. I prefer light and flowy over stiff. I'm leaning more toward the shorter, as long as I can attempt to tailor it to fit.

Good luck with the degree. A soft skirt would look nice with that halter. Have fun with it.

I just picked up this pattern at Joann's for $1.99.

It looks interesting and different.  It is just a square like piece of fabric.

https://www.simplicity.com/simplicity-storefront-catalog/patterns/women/tops--vests/simplicity-pattern-8452-misses-vintage-knit-blouse/

Don't have the time to sew for a while, but it is on my to make list.

What do you think?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geocruiser said:

I just picked up this pattern at Joann's for $1.99.

It looks interesting and different.  It is just a square like piece of fabric.

https://www.simplicity.com/simplicity-storefront-catalog/patterns/women/tops--vests/simplicity-pattern-8452-misses-vintage-knit-blouse/

Don't have the time to sew for a while, but it is on my to make list.

What do you think?

LOOOVE that blouse!!  A $13 pattern for $2: good buy!!

1 hour ago, pcur said:

LOOOVE that blouse!!  A $13 pattern for $2: good buy!!

Always check Joann's flyer.  Patterns on sail there go most times for $1.99 or .99 cents.  That is when I stock up.  vouge will go for $3.99.  I think you can order on line.