Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

On 12/22/2019 at 7:20 PM, PurpleHays said:

I am between semesters, so I have a little time to sew. This is a sports bra that I made from a remnant I had forever. It wasn't wide enough to make a skate skirt (it's original purpose) so I've been hanging on to it forever. I just need my daughter to pin the straps evenly.  I made it from simplicity D0644

20191222_191254.thumb.jpg.f58ce0bb4cc5ef866f2ceffa61c0221b.jpg

20191222_191308.jpg

It looks wonderful.  I love the color.

As the calendar turns another page, I am looking forward to have more time to sew.  This year has been too busy.

• Like 1

Project number 2 for winter break is done. I can't believe I actually finished both planned projects! Now I put my machine away until graduation (May 8, 2020).

This is Simplicity D0645 view C. The fabric was a bear and I used a few 4-letter words.

20191229_162037.jpg

20191229_162023.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2020 at 2:07 PM, geocruiser said:

Check out Cystalspin post #14 about a four way tank top.  What a great sewing idea.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2704174-need-advice-about-hal-gala-nights/

Lisa, I remember in the past you make a great tank top.  Maybe it is something that you would like to try.

I remember seeing something like this - what a great idea!

My sister, her friend, and I are going on a girls' cruise out of Galveston the first week of March. I thought this fabric would make some vacay-appropriate loungewear! I made the Carolyn Pajamas from Closet Case Patterns with fabric from FabricMart-dot-com.

pj1.jpg

pj2.jpg

• Like 3

16 hours ago, pamici said:

My sister, her friend, and I are going on a girls' cruise out of Galveston the first week of March. I thought this fabric would make some vacay-appropriate loungewear! I made the Carolyn Pajamas from Closet Case Patterns with fabric from FabricMart-dot-com.

pj1.jpg

pj2.jpg

These are adorable.  Was there much shrinkage with this fabric?

Joanie

18 hours ago, pamici said:

pj1.jpg

pj2.jpg

The are really cute.  I love the binding too.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sssteele said:

These are adorable.  Was there much shrinkage with this fabric?

Joanie

I don't think there was any shrinkage! It's a stretch poplin and it seems to have just enough give. I said the wrong fabric store, though, meant to say Fabric-dot-com.

18 hours ago, geocruiser said:

The are really cute.  I love the binding too.

Thank you! I was inspired watching a YouTube channel called "Sew Sew Live" and she used a cute contrasting ditsy floral on a larger floral main fabric. Her videos are unique because they are actual sewing session live streams, like 2 or 3 hours long. She just chats about what she's sewing and what everyone else is doing. They're pretty mesmerizing!

• 1 month later...

I finally got all my sewing done for this cruise. Just in time, because I drive to the port tomorrow! The sleeveless tank is reversible (pink on one side, white on the other), and I can pull the skirt up to make it a strapless sundress. I usually wear a pink button front over it, open and tied at the waist. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm very aware of the fact that I've just yanked my skirt up under my armpits and called it a dress. 😅

The kimono on the bottom right is a birthday gift for my sister, also sewn.

Screenshot_20200229-145736_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pamici said:

I finally got all my sewing done for this cruise. Just in time, because I drive to the port tomorrow! The sleeveless tank is reversible (pink on one side, white on the other), and I can pull the skirt up to make it a strapless sundress. I usually wear a pink button front over it, open and tied at the waist. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm very aware of the fact that I've just yanked my skirt up under my armpits and called it a dress. 😅

The kimono on the bottom right is a birthday gift for my sister, also sewn.

Screenshot_20200229-145736_Gallery.jpg

Looks great. Have a wonderful trip.

I have been sewing on and off for a Dubai to Venice trip in April. Modest clothing, but cool fabrics. Hoping to reuse in India or SEA sometime. Though current COVID19 situation may mean it gets cancelled. Hope not, but I've lost the excitement of finishing the pieces cut and not sewn😕

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mef_57 said:

Looks great. Have a wonderful trip.

I have been sewing on and off for a Dubai to Venice trip in April. Modest clothing, but cool fabrics. Hoping to reuse in India or SEA sometime. Though current COVID19 situation may mean it gets cancelled. Hope not, but I've lost the excitement of finishing the pieces cut and not sewn😕

Thank you. I know, I'm trying not to let it get to me, but I'm worried. I find myself being extra grateful for a balcony in case we get quarantined 🙁  But we just have to remind ourselves of how many cruises don't get canceled and how many passengers don't get sick, and try to keep positive. It's hard, but I do hope you get your excitement back. It sounds like an amazing trip!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, pamici said:

Thank you. I know, I'm trying not to let it get to me, but I'm worried. I find myself being extra grateful for a balcony in case we get quarantined 🙁  But we just have to remind ourselves of how many cruises don't get canceled and how many passengers don't get sick, and try to keep positive. It's hard, but I do hope you get your excitement back. It sounds like an amazing trip!

I'm not worried about getting sick, but the quarantined and refused ports are stressors for sure. Just keep washing those hands and embrace the MDR over buffets...and love that balcony. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2019 at 1:13 PM, RedHeadTexan said:

I tried something new today! I used stretch lace to make a pencil skirt.  I have never worked with lace, but I had a vision when I saw this one at Hobby Lobby.  So, I bought a yard for $5.  I lined it with nude swim lining that I had in my stash and did the waist band out of leftover black ponte knit from a previous sew.  I still have to hem it, but I am very pleased with the look and fit.  The lace is on the heavy side, so the swim lining kept it from being ridiculously heavy.  

Lisa

C9560E4C-77A5-4F04-AF24-A8CCDB7F5B31.jpeg

10F92E3A-514F-449E-838D-5DF5C178D5FD.jpeg

This is one truly lovely skirt!!  Bravo!!!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Now that I am spending more time at home because of the virus, maybe I can catch up on sewing.  I have spent the last 10 months getting things in order in the house after a move.  

We are trying to be careful in our town because we have 9 cases of the virus in a town of 95,000.  One woman got the virus, did not stay home while sick.  She went to church and to work in a middle school for two days before staying home.  The other cases caught it from her at the school.  It looks like she may exposed a lot of people.

So, I am home and going to finish/start sewing again.  I have a couple of pairs of pant to finish up.  Like most sewers I have plenty of fabric and patterns.  So I will go shopping in my basement. I hope to have more cruise clothes made by the time the virus passes.

Do you plan do do more sewing, if you are staying home?

Keep sewing and stay healthy,

Maria

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geocruiser said:

Hello everyone,

Now that I am spending more time at home because of the virus, maybe I can catch up on sewing.  I have spent the last 10 months getting things in order in the house after a move.  

We are trying to be careful in our town because we have 9 cases of the virus in a town of 95,000.  One woman got the virus, did not stay home while sick.  She went to church and to work in a middle school for two days before staying home.  The other cases caught it from her at the school.  It looks like she may exposed a lot of people.

So, I am home and going to finish/start sewing again.  I have a couple of pairs of pant to finish up.  Like most sewers I have plenty of fabric and patterns.  So I will go shopping in my basement. I hope to have more cruise clothes made by the time the virus passes.

Do you plan do do more sewing, if you are staying home?

Keep sewing and stay healthy,

Maria

I wish,  but I work in the Microbiology/Virology lab, so I have to work and am run off my feet making testing kits.  I take public transit at this point, and things are fairly slow as it is school March break, but between bus/train/ hospital, well....I expect eventually I'll get it.  I got H1N1 at the end of the pandemic (on a cruise) and the following pneumonia.  Not worried about that again, but wishing I could be sewing instead.

My Middle Eastern cruise was cancelled, so my conservative clothing designed and sewn for this trip are going to need to be altered to something not quite so covered up.  They will be used in our hot humid summers, and when I retire and spend 3 months in south east asia, but I really miss that cruise.  It is once a year, and they have priced the next ones too high for a solo traveler so I can't see it in the foreseeable future.  I'll used the FCC for a Baltic cruise instead.  Definitely a different wardrobe requirement.

I also quilt.  Our local quilt store has offered to deliver your orders to your stoop 😁

28 minutes ago, mef_57 said:

I wish,  but I work in the Microbiology/Virology lab, so I have to work and am run off my feet making testing kits.  I take public transit at this point, and things are fairly slow as it is school March break, but between bus/train/ hospital, well....I expect eventually I'll get it.  I got H1N1 at the end of the pandemic (on a cruise) and the following pneumonia.  Not worried about that again, but wishing I could be sewing instead.

My Middle Eastern cruise was cancelled, so my conservative clothing designed and sewn for this trip are going to need to be altered to something not quite so covered up.  They will be used in our hot humid summers, and when I retire and spend 3 months in south east asia, but I really miss that cruise.  It is once a year, and they have priced the next ones too high for a solo traveler so I can't see it in the foreseeable future.  I'll used the FCC for a Baltic cruise instead.  Definitely a different wardrobe requirement.

I also quilt.  Our local quilt store has offered to deliver your orders to your stoop 😁

Thank you mef_57 for the work you are doing to help in these challenging times.  All those working to provide help and care are heros.

Please be safe and stay healthy so you can enjoy many more cruises.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I work in an ambulatory surgery center. We are not cancelling cases yet, but some patients are. We had once cancel from the first week of April and move to December. Guess her carpal tunnel doesn't bother her too much, or more likely, that's the next break in her work schedule that allows her to take some down time.

If I wasn't in the last two months of my grad school program, I'd sew too. I'm pretty much spending time between work and home, rarely anything else. If this goes longer, I may get a good start once school is done.

I am planning on sewing a lot more.  Also, really doing a spring cleaning too.  If I want any sewing suplies, I will order on line.  but, I think that Joann's fabric should be some what empty.  Now, if they were selling toilet paper 🧻, then they would be crowded.   So, I would feel safe going there..  19 cases in our county, one death (very sad) near us.  Most of the cases are in our town.

So, will be staying in more and sewing.

I tend to sew more spring and summer clothing.  Most of my fabrics are lighter weights.  But I do have some fleece and flannel to work with.  As well as some brocade. 

Good day everyone! Had lost my sewjo, but it is slowly coming back. Had purchase some bamboo underwear kits last year (from  Bra Makers Supplies) and finally made some stuff. I came across a Canadian company in British Columbia, Discovery Fabric and they have lots of interesting fabrics (soft fabric, pretty fabric, here is my credit card!) especially if you are looking for fabrics for active ware.  

Take care, Sue >M<

This sewing machine was my college graduation gift many years ago (35+) and still working well

45E669C3-99B4-4FA6-A962-73E0CC55A6B9.thumb.jpeg.1f2ee72156cb7a834d191cb329c9d3ea.jpeg

• Like 1

On 3/20/2020 at 9:49 PM, redlady62 said:

Good day everyone! Had lost my sewjo, but it is slowly coming back. Had purchase some bamboo underwear kits last year (from  Bra Makers Supplies) and finally made some stuff. I came across a Canadian company in British Columbia, Discovery Fabric and they have lots of interesting fabrics (soft fabric, pretty fabric, here is my credit card!) especially if you are looking for fabrics for active ware.  

Take care, Sue >M<

This sewing machine was my college graduation gift many years ago (35+) and still working well

45E669C3-99B4-4FA6-A962-73E0CC55A6B9.thumb.jpeg.1f2ee72156cb7a834d191cb329c9d3ea.jpeg

I did have a Kenmore sewing machine.  It had the cams to put in to make fanny switches.  It lasted me a very long time.

I hate to get rid of my machines.  But I have traded them in to buy a better one.  But it is hard for me to let go of one.

On 3/20/2020 at 9:49 PM, redlady62 said:

Take care, Sue >M<

This was the sewing machine I bought when my son was a year old. I won't part with it. I bought parts vefore they were totally discontinued. It has the best buttonhole attachment. Back in the day Inhad so many shirtwaist dresses needing 12 or 13 buttonholes and this was the most consistent. I taught my daughter to sew on it and found her one the same. She sews leather, vinyl, patches, thicker fabrics ajd this is such a reliable workhorse. Now I mostly use my electronic quilting machine for my seeing, but I regularly bring out my trusty Kenmore to oil it and make sure it runs well for when I need it. These are the machines that eill still be sewing when 80 years old.