Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

The shortage of masks is so significant that there is a nationwide effort to hand-sew masks for healthcare workers. Please take a look at these links:

https://www.deaconess.com/How-to-make-a-Face-Mask

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tjmccue/2020/03/20/calling-all-people-who-sew-and-make-you-can-help-solve-2020-n95-type-mask-shortage/#ffcf9034e41d

1/8” elastic is also very hard to get ahold of right now.

Edited by AdoraBelle
  • Like 1

On 3/22/2020 at 10:51 PM, AdoraBelle said:

The shortage of masks is so significant that there is a nationwide effort to hand-sew masks for healthcare workers. Please take a look at these links:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tjmccue/2020/03/20/calling-all-people-who-sew-and-make-you-can-help-solve-2020-n95-type-mask-shortage/#ffcf9034e41d

1/8” elastic is also very hard to get ahold of right now.

Do you know how effective these mask are ?

On 3/24/2020 at 6:17 PM, geocruiser said:

Do you know how effective these mask are ?

Not very, but better than nothing. Regular folks out and about should use them and leave the truly effective ones for healthcare and safety officers to use.

Of course, our CDC is saying we can use bandanas and scarfs. 😬

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PurpleHays said:

Not very, but better than nothing. Regular folks out and about should use them and leave the truly effective ones for healthcare and safety officers to use.

Of course, our CDC is saying we can use bandanas and scarfs. 😬

I guess bandannas and scarfs are easier to find and better than nothing.  And at least it is something to use for people who don't sew.

I am a sewer but not convinced sewing masks is effective for our health care workers. If you wish to sew and wear yourself, that is your choice. But from what we are hearing, the fabric is too porous. The factories need to up production, which they probably are  trying to do. If my hospital says they want us to sew masks, I will gladly do so.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruzisme said:

I am a sewer but not convinced sewing masks is effective for our health care workers. If you wish to sew and wear yourself, that is your choice. But from what we are hearing, the fabric is too porous. The factories need to up production, which they probably are  trying to do. If my hospital says they want us to sew masks, I will gladly do so.

Some of the videos are health care institutions who the send them on to other outlets like homeless shelters, but other say the hospitals would use them as a last resort. Other videos are clear they should be used by people with symptoms to avoid spreading them.

If the hoarders would donate the proper ones, it would be more effective,but I guess if giving people a meaningful activity to do. As a hospital worker myself...though in lab rather than patient care, I would rather they sew something more useful. Pillow cases for women's shelters, quilts, money to food banks.

I have been making the masks for my family and for my 2 daughters medical offices.
mother than that I might make a few for some of my neighbors here since we live in a small retirement community and i think it would help them if they are out and about in town. Is drs appts and getting necessities.

• Like 1

Not to debate the effectiveness of homemade masks for protecting the wearer from direct assault with any droplet containing virus...I have read that definitely the most effective thing about homemade masks in the prevention of contracting ANY disease is that it is a reminder to the wearer to help them stop touching their face. That single reminder can be more effective than the debatable protection actual mask itself is as a piece of protective gear.

It also serves as a reminder to others to maintain social distance. And that can also be effective prevention.

I agree that it is very sad that normal people may be hoarding supplies that workers in direct contact with patients need. 

• Like 3

Effectiveness aside, the making of masks is giving some of us something to do while we're self-isolating.  It is preventing us from raiding the fridge every 20 minutes (it's tough to sew and eat at the same time), and it's helping take a chunk out of that fabric stash (or 12 old sheets I just cleaned out of the linen closet, simply because I had time) that's been sitting around for a good long while.  I look at it this way; making masks is better than crocheting a jumpsuit for the cat. 

We feel productive, and even if they aren't N95 grade, as a famous medical advisor has recently said "they're better than nothing."

Smooth Sailing!   🙂🙂🙂

• Like 3

On 3/28/2020 at 10:07 PM, Anita Latte said:

Not to debate the effectiveness of homemade masks for protecting the wearer from direct assault with any droplet containing virus...I have read that definitely the most effective thing about homemade masks in the prevention of contracting ANY disease is that it is a reminder to the wearer to help them stop touching their face. That single reminder can be more effective than the debatable protection actual mask itself is as a piece of protective gear.

It also serves as a reminder to others to maintain social distance. And that can also be effective prevention.

I agree that it is very sad that normal people may be hoarding supplies that workers in direct contact with patients need. 

This!

As a nurse, I can't emphasize enough. I've been mostly home since the beginning of March--even cancelled some things early in the month that I planned to do. I don't generally wear a mask. My husband and I rarely venture out. However, I made us a couple of masks today. As Anita said, more to remind us to not touch our faces (it's hard to do!) and maintain social distance. I only made one each, but have tons of fabric to make more when I finish the semester (last assignment due 4/28, graduation is cancelled, but it was supposed to be 5/8).  He just aged up into the high risk over 65 category, and I have mild chronic lung disease. We're playing it as safe as we can.

• Like 1

I recently read a motto, I guess you could say, regarding the wearing of masks. It is, “I wear a mask to protect you from me, you wear a mask to protect me from you.”

I understand that it’s become almost the polite thing to do now...especially if you live in an urban or are visiting a population dense area. Especially in grocery stores now, wearing a mask is perceived to help keep stock on hand more sanitary than if people were not wearing one. 

I dont want my earlier post interpreted to be negative on mask wearing. I think it is important to understand how mask wearing is beneficial and how it isn’t. People could get a false sense of security with some safety precautions.

Im thinking I’ll be making some masks soon...

• Like 1

Anita, you have made some very good points and the quote you shared is so true! Many reasons for making masks have been mentioned and all are good reasons. I will add just one thing that isn’t often mentioned. Cloth masks and scarves must be washed after each use. I know that none of my scarves will withstand washing and drying with hot temps so none of mine would make good candidates. For me, a cloth mask will work much better so  I better get started-so many of you are way ahead of me!😊

3 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Effectiveness aside, the making of masks is giving some of us something to do while we're self-isolating.  It is preventing us from raiding the fridge every 20 minutes (it's tough to sew and eat at the same time), and it's helping take a chunk out of that fabric stash (or 12 old sheets I just cleaned out of the linen closet, simply because I had time) that's been sitting around for a good long while.  I look at it this way; making masks is better than crocheting a jumpsuit for the cat. 

We feel productive, and even if they aren't N95 grade, as a famous medical advisor has recently said "they're better than nothing."

Smooth Sailing!   🙂🙂🙂

I agree 100%.  I have been doing a lot of sewing lately and today I got a request for several masks so I made 22 more. Tomorrow I will be making another 10 or so for friends that have asked for them. Then back to sewing some more new cruise clothes.

Stay safe and well,

Gerry

Edited by TNGALOHA
  • Like 1

I’ve settled on this pattern for myself:

https://www.craftpassion.com/face-mask-sewing-pattern/

I like the nose wire area and especially the adaption for the shoe string, which I think will be more comfortable than elastics, especially since I wear glasses. I think there may the option for a filter pocket too? I’ve been reading that vacuum bags make good filters, however, I’ve also been reading that it cuts down on the breathability of the face mask by a tremendous amount. If I make any with the pocket, it will definitely be just one or two because I don’t anticipate needing that much...seems excessive for my situation.

I’m so glad I recently catalogued all my fabric...think I’ll be sewing tomorrow. 

11 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

I’ve settled on this pattern for myself:

https://www.craftpassion.com/face-mask-sewing-pattern/

That's the pattern I've been using; it's easy to follow, and you can make 3 sizes.  I made the smallest for our grandson (4), then switched over to the largest for the rest. Instead of ear elastics, I use stretchy cord (found at a hobby store) and use about 23" knotted, to loop through both side pockets, so it goes around the head, rather than over the ears.  I've made about 30 of this type, and another 20 of the rectangular, pleated design from this site:

For those who are running out of elastic - head to the garage, grab a bungee cord, and cut it apart - there are tons of elastics there!  You could also canvass your friends to see who has a bunch of elastic in their sewing kits.    Stay well everyone!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77

42 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

That's the pattern I've been using; it's easy to follow, and you can make 3 sizes.  I made the smallest for our grandson (4), then switched over to the largest for the rest. Instead of ear elastics, I use stretchy cord (found at a hobby store) and use about 23" knotted, to loop through both side pockets, so it goes around the head, rather than over the ears.  I've made about 30 of this type, and another 20 of the rectangular, pleated design from this site:

For those who are running out of elastic - head to the garage, grab a bungee cord, and cut it apart - there are tons of elastics there!  You could also canvass your friends to see who has a bunch of elastic in their sewing kits.    Stay well everyone!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Did you see the update on the mask that uses a shoe lace instead of any elastic? You thread the shoe lace through the sides of the mask creating a loop at the top of the mask. That loop goes over your head, then you adjust the mask on the laces and then tie the laces together behind the neck. Think swim goggles. I'm going to be making them that way because I think the behind the ear elastics would be annoying with my glasses, and I like the idea of tying the mask into place.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Anita Latte said:

Did you see the update on the mask that uses a shoe lace instead of any elastic? You thread the shoe lace through the sides of the mask creating a loop at the top of the mask. That loop goes over your head, then you adjust the mask on the laces and then tie the laces together behind the neck. Think swim goggles. I'm going to be making them that way because I think the behind the ear elastics would be annoying with my glasses, and I like the idea of tying the mask into place.

In the 'old' days, masks were tied in 2 places behind the head.  Any string, laces, seam binding, ribbon, lace, anything that ties, will work.  Attach to the 4 corners of the mask.  Or, if inclined, make matching ties from the fabric. 

Over time, the elastic might not withstand the repeated hot laundering in facilities, while ties will.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mef_57 said:

In the 'old' days, masks were tied in 2 places behind the head.  Any string, laces, seam binding, ribbon, lace, anything that ties, will work.  Attach to the 4 corners of the mask.  Or, if inclined, make matching ties from the fabric. 

Over time, the elastic might not withstand the repeated hot laundering in facilities, while ties will.

Surgical masks are still made with ties and how I made my two masks. The ones with elastic  are called "procedure" masks. I think they're designed to be worn for shorter periods of time. Surgical masks need to stay put longer, thus the ties. I don't know if there are any differences in the filtration differences of the two types of masks.

I'm an operating room RN with more than 30 years under my belt. I'm a mask pro and have resisted wearing in public. I've only been out once in the last two weeks (an emergency run to Best Buy to get a microphone for my laptop for the assignment that was due the next day!). We are going out one day later this week so I wanted my husband to have one to remember to not touch his face (again, 30+ years of not touching my face) and remind him to social distance. I believe that is the main reason the CDC is recommending masks in public, not for protective reasons.

Y'all stay safe and sew away. I can sew away starting the 29th, after I turn in my *last* assignment.

46 minutes ago, PurpleHays said:

Surgical masks are still made with ties and how I made my two masks. The ones with elastic  are called "procedure" masks. I think they're designed to be worn for shorter periods of time. Surgical masks need to stay put longer, thus the ties. I don't know if there are any differences in the filtration differences of the two types of masks.

I'm an operating room RN with more than 30 years under my belt. I'm a mask pro and have resisted wearing in public. I've only been out once in the last two weeks (an emergency run to Best Buy to get a microphone for my laptop for the assignment that was due the next day!). We are going out one day later this week so I wanted my husband to have one to remember to not touch his face (again, 30+ years of not touching my face) and remind him to social distance. I believe that is the main reason the CDC is recommending masks in public, not for protective reasons.

Y'all stay safe and sew away. I can sew away starting the 29th, after I turn in my *last* assignment.

I'm on 'kit making duty' in our hospital Microbiology lab and am in various non patient areas of the lab and hospital. No masks for us. Given the nature of the specimens we receive all year around, we practice good hand hygiene and face avoidance all the time, so our fear tolerance level is pretty high.  But as a sewist, I wanted to offer the option should people run out of the elastic asked for in so many of the patterns.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, mef_57 said:

But as a sewist, I wanted to offer the option should people run out of the elastic asked for in so many of the patterns.  

It's a good one. I don't know if I could tolerate the elastic behind my ears. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Gang!  I have been crazy busy with work the last two months, and forgot to check in the sewing board.  I have been working from home since Mid-March and I work for a janitorial supply company.  I am very grateful that we are considered essential.  

Anyway, besides making masks, I have been taking online classes at Sew-it-Academy with Mimi G.  I am learning how to draft patterns.  So here are a few of my masks (Walt is high risk so he gets to go for car rides and stays in the car while I shop or take Fargo to the vet) and a dress that I drafted.

Lisa 

9D9E9263-DCE9-4668-86D6-704C9391FB3F.jpeg

45E36FC3-E7DE-46CB-A320-19FCB457D925.jpeg

DB630BE9-111D-424D-91E8-3A185A0C1317.jpeg

A4A3FA96-90B9-47FB-A81A-22B9FC111413.jpeg

8D4308DD-92A7-4128-A3CC-E20F322E1BE2.jpeg

• Like 1

The masks look great! I wish I could draft patterns and have the outfit come out looking as good as your dress! Great job Lisa. 
I have been using this quarantine to go thru my material stash (some if it us over 30 yrs old). So far I have emptied out 3 big tubs of material. My closet has sure shrunk with all that I gave sewn. Today I finished a jumpsuit for formal nights on the ship. I have found some great free patterns on the internet for casual clothes. 
Hope everyone is staying safe and well.

Gerry

• Like 1