Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

4 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

Beautiful quilt top Lisa. So bright and cheerful!

How did you find your long arm quilter? I actually saw a listing on Craigslist the other day...it got me thinking and wondering.

I googled "Longarm Quilter" and the small towns that are nearby.  I live outside Knoxville, TN and discovered that service oriented businesses are much less expensive out in the rural areas.  Once I found some ladies that do this out of their homes, I checked out their social media pages to see their work.  Elizabeth, who is my quilter, lives way out in the sticks and does a phenomenal job.  She taught me how to hand sew the binding.  

I have some small makeup bags that I plan on making as Christmas gifts this year and will work on quilting those with my walking foot.  I just ordered this book on  Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1940655218/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 on machine quilting with the walking foot.  

Lisa

• 1 month later...

Geo, I'm in the process still. Work in the garden took priority over my sewing project. The pattern seems very easy though...most of the pattern pieces are basically rectangles. The garden is entering more of a maintenance mode so I should be able to get back to it soon. I'll let you know. 🙂

17 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

Geo, I'm in the process still. Work in the garden took priority over my sewing project. The pattern seems very easy though...most of the pattern pieces are basically rectangles. The garden is entering more of a maintenance mode so I should be able to get back to it soon. I'll let you know. 🙂

Gardening work can take time.  We are getting three old fruit tress take down, This year their age and the winter got to them.  Gardening like house work never ends.    But looking at a beautiful garden is so nice.  Fl. gardens grow some what fast, sunshine and nice weather.  Have you enjoyed seeing the rockets going up?  I always love that.  I liked how the noise would come after the rocked passed over us.

My sewing has taken a back seat to house projects too.  The pass year or so going through things, painting, yard work etc.  Then I started a family tree.  Now that has taken lots of time away from my sewing.  I have gotten back to the late 1700's, found new cousins (living in my town) and we keep in touch.  And one new third cousin in Canada who I speak to about once every two weeks. He helped me get started on my tree.

I would like to make some sweatshirt type shirts for my self.  Trying to find the right pattern has been hard.  I have fleece fabric and would like to use that up.  I don't want a shirt with a hood.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

All of you talented seamstresses:  Are you thinking of something to do with leftover masks, once they are no longer needed anywhere?

Great idea.

Just for fun, a hammock for a hamster!!

image.jpeg

May be a pin cushion or a coaster for a glass.

https://www.seasonedhomemaker.com/mason-jar-pin-cushion-tutorial/

coasters

https://stayathomecrafter.com/2018/01/07/diy-easy-reversible-fabric-coasters/

I like this one:

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

All of you talented seamstresses:  Are you thinking of something to do with leftover masks, once they are no longer needed anywhere?

I expect to be using them another 2 years when traveling to Asia. Will keep some for gardening in spring as I find they help when tree pollen is bad. And as a quilter, I'll just work the others back into my scrap quilts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mef_57 said:

I expect to be using them another 2 years when traveling to Asia. Will keep some for gardening in spring as I find they help when tree pollen is bad. And as a quilter, I'll just work the others back into my scrap quilts.

All your ideas are good.  My neighbor has been using a mask when he is doing garden work.  

8 minutes ago, geocruiser said:

All your ideas are good.  My neighbor has been using a mask when he is doing garden work.  

Thanks. I expect for some parts of the world, masks will be a mainstay for a while.

My GD is wanting to learn to see, so the extra masks can become test fabrics.

If you are a member of some organization helping young women elsewhere in the world, there are groups that make reusable pads so the girls can continue at school.  Or, if anyone is looking for eco options in your family.......pretty good size for that repurpose....

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Somewhat off topic but.....  I've got a top & jacket that the colors are way TOO loud for me.....looking for suggestions on how to mute the colors.....bleach via a spray bottle, vinegar......  help, please & TIA.

1 minute ago, 57redbird said:

Somewhat off topic but.....  I've got a top & jacket that the colors are way TOO loud for me.....looking for suggestions on how to mute the colors.....bleach via a spray bottle, vinegar......  help, please & TIA.

Do they tone down if you wear them as separates with other colours?  If a sleeveless top, you may be able to put a solid coloured chiffon sheer layer sewn onto it.  My immediate thought was to overdye both of them with some dull colour, but who knows what they will end up looking like - same with bleach splotchy spray.  I don't think vinegar will do anything, but maybe it is a method I don't know about.

It also depends on how much you love it and your skill set.

On 6/10/2021 at 12:14 PM, 57redbird said:

Tea or Coffee stain. You might want to run a test somehow but this was recommended to those of use that look best in more muted colors as a way to tone down brighter colors.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/10/2021 at 9:14 AM, 57redbird said:

White vinegar in cool water is good for setting colors (not to fade, lol) so I'd stick with a tea wash. Hopefully, you can test a small section first to see if you like the results. Good luck!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Not technically sewing, and not for a cruise, but my daughter and I, plus her existing mother are walking 5K in a couple of weeks. I used my Cricut machine and tried an infusible application for the first time. I think they turned out OK, other than you can see where the transfer film was, especially in the green one. I'm hoping it washes out.

20210906_151927.jpg

20210906_151843.jpg

20210906_151815.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/1/2021 at 8:23 AM, nikkiw60 said:

Happy days! Not just sewing for a cruise but actually wearing a pair of palazzo trousers I made last week on a cruise ship now!!!

FA7F6A08-745B-4244-AE47-C04D0E512E40.jpeg

811C27C3-0970-4250-A0BE-2DC43CF0766D.png

The pants are wonderful.  I make a lot of wide leg pants.  They are so comfortable to wear.  I like the color.  Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2021 at 7:05 PM, PurpleHays said:

Not technically sewing, and not for a cruise, but my daughter and I, plus her existing mother are walking 5K in a couple of weeks. I used my Cricut machine and tried an infusible application for the first time. I think they turned out OK, other than you can see where the transfer film was, especially in the green one. I'm hoping it washes out.

20210906_151927.jpg

20210906_151843.jpg

20210906_151815.jpg

They came out nice.  Are they iron on transfers?

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure I'd take it travelling - I don't normally pack dresses - but it was certainly inspired by the cold long winter in NZ and still not being able to travel anywhere. Its the first thing I've made for years - but I'm  so desperate for a new (old) hobby I've taken up sewing again LOL 

IMG_7079.JPG

• Like 1

On 9/11/2021 at 5:13 PM, lka1012 said:

Just booked first cruise since 2015. Gotta get sewing. While I have more fabric than a fabric store, must get some more for this cruise 

I never have enough fabric.  Sewing for a cruise is fun and it is fun to wear what you sew.

• Like 1