Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

Not for a cruise, but I'm sewing again. My daughter requested a cozy robe for Christmas, so I made a couple practice garments. I have coworkers due in December and January,  so they're getting flannel baby buntings.

The patterns called for under a yard of fabric, but when I got ready to start, it was laid out crosswise. Both prints ran lengthwise, so I couldn't even try to match the truck print. The uneven drives me crazy. The stripes aren't as obvious. I made mistakes on both (let's not talk about the sleeves or neck on the trucks) and still have to sew snaps on the tabs and pull basting stitches from the zipper insertion.

I'll start the robe this weekend. It's cut out except for the pockets-I think I threw the pattern piece away. I'll be improvising. 😬

20211026_200108.jpg

20211026_154307.jpg

• Like 4

On 10/26/2021 at 9:35 PM, PurpleHays said:

Not for a cruise, but I'm sewing again. My daughter requested a cozy robe for Christmas, so I made a couple practice garments. I have coworkers due in December and January,  so they're getting flannel baby buntings.

The patterns called for under a yard of fabric, but when I got ready to start, it was laid out crosswise. Both prints ran lengthwise, so I couldn't even try to match the truck print. The uneven drives me crazy. The stripes aren't as obvious. I made mistakes on both (let's not talk about the sleeves or neck on the trucks) and still have to sew snaps on the tabs and pull basting stitches from the zipper insertion.

I'll start the robe this weekend. It's cut out except for the pockets-I think I threw the pattern piece away. I'll be improvising. 😬

20211026_200108.jpg

20211026_154307.jpg

They are really cute.  Like you, matching prints drives me crazy.  I always buy extra fabric so i can match.  But, most garments in a store don't match their prints.  Any not many seem to care about buying not matched seams.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2021 at 5:12 PM, shipgeeks said:

Have you seen the dress made by a Southwest Airlines employee, from 800 discarded zipper pulls she has found on the floor over ten years?  Fabulous!  (I bet it would really set off some metal alarms, though!)

It's amazing!

https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-news/southwest-employee-creates-suitcase-zipper-pull-dress

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I finished my daughter's robe and It's on it's way to CA with my other daughter. I think the pockets turned out well considering I lost the pattern and had to improvise. The print was a bit uneven, so matching was a crap shoot. I even sent the thread so she can alter if she needs to.

20211114_131918.jpg

20211107_113401.jpg

20211107_132252.jpg

Edited by PurpleHays
add space between photos
  • Like 2

On 11/18/2021 at 7:39 PM, PurpleHays said:

I finished my daughter's robe and It's on it's way to CA with my other daughter. I think the pockets turned out well considering I lost the pattern and had to improvise. The print was a bit uneven, so matching was a crap shoot. I even sent the thread so she can alter if she needs to.

20211114_131918.jpg

20211107_113401.jpg

20211107_132252.jpg

The robe came out great.  It looks nice an comfortable.   She will love it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/18/2021 at 7:39 PM, PurpleHays said:

20211114_131918.jpg

20211107_113401.jpg

20211107_132252.jpg

Let us know how she liked the robe.

• 4 months later...

I was at the fabric store this afternoon getting fabric (duh) to make a couple of outfits for our fall TA. While I was at the cutting counter, a woman asked me if I sewed--I said yes. She then asked if I sewed for other people. Nope, only relatives (I didn't tell her that--she might try to claim to be my long lost aunt), but I do know folks that do. I called one friend and connected them. She had a 22 year old dress that was falling apart and she wanted to replicate it. That's beyond my skill set.

I got fabric to make some travel leggings/joggers, a coordinating top, and a lightweight dress. I may need to line the dress if the white background is too thin once I hold it up over something bright.

• Like 1

Have any of you seen the Liberty (of London) fabrics now being sold at Joanne?  I loved Liberty back in the 70's, and made several blouses.  The photos of the current designs are not so interesting, though, IMO, especially for cruise wear.

8 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Have any of you seen the Liberty (of London) fabrics now being sold at Joanne?  I loved Liberty back in the 70's, and made several blouses.  The photos of the current designs are not so interesting, though, IMO, especially for cruise wear.

Beautiful fabric.  But too high price for me.  

https://www.libertylondon.com/us/department/fabric/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PurpleHays said:

A bit high for my wallet and sewing skills.

Mine too.  But at Joann's with a 40 or 50% off coupon, some might be  OK in price.  I most times stay below $10 a yard for fabric.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

I haven't been on this thread in a few years, I think.  It's good to see that it's still going strong.

As I mentioned waaaaaaaaaaaaay long time ago, I don't sew from scratch:  I buy tops and pants on Ebay and alter them to the way I want them to look.  I've added Poshmark to my shopping sites.  This way I get my "sewing on", but I'm spending about $10 - $25 for each garment.

If I need new capris, I buy whatever fabric and color I like, whether it's capris or long pants, and the alter them to fit.  I just got a $60 pair of liquid knit travel slacks for $24, including shipping, and altered them into capris.

My last big challenge was this:

image.jpeg.c0de8cb1db642ed344b39cc602643563.jpeg

Very old style blouse, sleeves that hung down to mid-thigh, and a collar/tie that was only made for the biggest bow you could tie at your throat.  Cream colored, and the fabric looked and felt like silk.  Lots of potential.

I cut the sleeves off to elbow length.  Then cut the tie off at an angle, and made a "regular" collar.  Took all the buttons off, and sewed some cream colored satin trim on both sides of the opening, both to hide the buttonholes and give the garment a little structure. Altered shoulder pads to just cover my shoulders (fabric is sheer-ish, so they needed to be just on top of my shoulders).  (Sorry if the picture below is sideways; it's my phone).  I know have a wonderful summer open jacket I can wear with light colored tops underneath:

image.jpeg.5e24884b1f81c147301dd498b31f8a66.jpeg

Edited by pcur
  • Like 4

On 6/10/2022 at 3:32 PM, pcur said:

I

image.jpeg.5e24884b1f81c147301dd498b31f8a66.jpeg

Nice job. The blouse looks wonderful.  I give you a lot of credit because I find that fixing a garment to fix. is harder than sewing from scratch.  At least it is harder for me to do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, geocruiser said:

Nice job. The blouse looks wonderful.  I give you a lot of credit because I find that fixing a garment to fix. is harder than sewing from scratch.  At least it is harder for me to do.

I started sewing when I was 11.  I made all my clothes (out of desperation from a super cheap stepfather), and sewed clothes from scratch for my Mom and friends.  I gave it up when my first son was born.  Except, for the head-to-toe gorilla costume for my younger son when he was 7.  

After that I was done-done with the whole fabric, pattern, sewing thing.

BUT, I ended up with this really wicked spatial/measurement "eyeballing" skill.  I knew measurements to within less than 1/16 of an inch.  That's when I started to alter clothes.

I think I posted these pictures way back in the olden days of this thread.  My "eyeballing" came in very handy with this project (that scared the living daylights out of me).  This is a family heirloom child's rocker that belonged to my Great-Grandfather, Grandmother, Mother, me, my sons, and now my grandchildren.  Scary project.

Again, apologies for the sideways photo.

Child's antique rocker.JPG

Edited by pcur
  • Like 1

Not quite sewing, but we did have fun. I made two shirts and this is my favorite of the two. I think it will definitely make the packing list for our upcoming TA.

You can sort of see the other one--it's bronze and purple stripes.

Tiedye 22.jpg

Edited by PurpleHays
  • Like 3