Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

On 6/19/2022 at 6:41 PM, PurpleHays said:

Not quite sewing, but we did have fun. I made two shirts and this is my favorite of the two. I think it will definitely make the packing list for our upcoming TA.

You can sort of see the other one--it's bronze and purple stripes.

Tiedye 22.jpg

This looks wonderful!! Such a great idea for a cruise, definitely will make some for my husband and I for our next cruise!

• Like 1

On 6/19/2022 at 5:41 PM, PurpleHays said:

Not quite sewing, but we did have fun. I made two shirts and this is my favorite of the two. I think it will definitely make the packing list for our upcoming TA.

Tiedye 22.jpg

Seriously, seriously impressed with this!  Wow!  Amazing tye-die job.  Kudos.

Edited by pcur
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, pattycruisealot21 said:

This looks wonderful!! Such a great idea for a cruise, definitely will make some for my husband and I for our next cruise!

It's so much fun and so messy. I don't bother with gloves. I enjoy the few days with dyed hands and fingernails. Hubby lives in tie dye--he's a 60s hippy even though he actually came of age in the 70s.

4 hours ago, pcur said:

Seriously, seriously impressed with this!  Wow!  Amazing tye-die job.  Kudos.

I tried a technique I found on Pinterest. It didn't look like it was going to work while it was curing, but I definitely did a happy dance at the reveal. We're going to do it again in the fall. Several of my coworkers have expressed an interest.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

It's so much fun and so messy. I don't bother with gloves. I enjoy the few days with dyed hands and fingernails. Hubby lives in tie dye--he's a 60s hippy even though he actually came of age in the 70s.

I tried a technique I found on Pinterest. It didn't look like it was going to work while it was curing, but I definitely did a happy dance at the reveal. We're going to do it again in the fall. Several of my coworkers have expressed an interest.

Yees it definitely looks like a fun project!! We'll definitely be doing this pre-cruise fun project a few days before and have it ready for our sailing date! We'll have to watch a few tutorial videos  before doing it though 😅

• Like 1

@pattycruisealot21 We got a lot of our information and supplies from Dharma Trading out of Petaluma CA. It's good stuff. I'd do it a couple of weeks out--you're supposed to let it "cure" for about 24 hours before rinsing the dye it. Dharma's dyes last a long time as long as you take care of the fabric, but it's not cheap. Tulip brand that you get at craft stores is cheap and doesn't last long. There are lots of YouTube videos out there to learn from.

@purduemom1 Well that would take all the fun out of it. I will help others when we do it in the fall, but that's it. Fun!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2022 at 8:41 PM, PurpleHays said:

Tiedye 22.jpg

Did you use instructions for this pattern? I'd love to know the name of it so I can look for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Advice please.   I purchased this fabric (5 yards) as I loved it.   I think it would make a great formal night dress/gown.   But I am having difficulty finding the right pattern.  Thought some of the more advance sewers might have some suggestions.   But I am not a tiny person.  Need a size 16 through bust but 14/16 through hips/waist.   Also long torso so many dress patterns do not fit if they are for natural waistline.   Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.

CD3A8D11-25F6-4A63-A933-0D8D1964363C.jpeg

I would suggest a simpler pattern. Fewer seams would make it easier to attempt to match the flowers (if you want to try that). Most patterns have lines so that you can lengthen, so that's not a real issue. Just measure correctly how much length you want to add. And, as explained to me by a couple of sewists, get the pattern that fits your largest measurement (mine is boobs) and grade the others. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, pedirn said:

Advice please.   I purchased this fabric (5 yards) as I loved it.   I think it would make a great formal night dress/gown.   But I am having difficulty finding the right pattern.  Thought some of the more advance sewers might have some suggestions.   But I am not a tiny person.  Need a size 16 through bust but 14/16 through hips/waist.   Also long torso so many dress patterns do not fit if they are for natural waistline.   Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.

CD3A8D11-25F6-4A63-A933-0D8D1964363C.jpeg

Not knowing your style or the actual fabric content makes a recommendation a little more difficult.  I can't tell whether it s a chiffon, or stretch fabric?  Either way, I would keep lines simple so that the fabric makes the gown.  With a lot of darts and seams, it can get messy looking. I did a quick look and if this has stretch, consider something like this: https://simplicity.com/new-look/n6717 . New Look N6717 | Misses' Knit Dresses

It has some extra style, enhances a nice bust, and skims a long torso (however, there are many videos and sites to help you learn how to length your patterns to fit to the waist.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PurpleHays said:

@mef_57I might just have to look for that pattern the next time I go to the fabric store! I like it. It's pretty and looks simple.

Isn't it though?  I think it quite pretty, and would pack like a dream. The cross overs in a different colour could be interesting as well.

• Like 1

Alternatively, if it is chiffon, consider something like this where the dress is simple, and it is all about the sleeves and flounces. there are a couple of sleeve variations.. https://somethingdelightful.com/mccalls/m8166. or a simple sheeth dress and make some flowy caplet over it.  I found myself on a Cunard christmas cruise and as I was having foot issues, and decided to wear pants instead of any dresses. I had black crepe wide leg pants, a couple of different fancy tops, and as there were at least 3 theme nights, I made 3 different chiffon capes of different lengths. They can dress up or down something simple to gorgeous (or consider the fabric for a longer long sleeve duster coat and simple black with a signature necklace.

M8166

• Like 1

Thanks all for suggestions.  I really like both patterns suggested but am thinking the simplicity/new look pattern might be just what Imam looking for.  Not to clinging around the waist.  Although the McAlls pattern with pants might be nice also.

• Like 1

Good day everyone ! Slowly getting back to sewing. Retired 8 weeks ago and I might just have more ‘time’. Question about bottom holes (I hate them, but did a trial run with snaps and they didn’t stay in the fabric of the test shirt) Did some practice button holes, the first section looks beautiful, bar tack and then go back up and this is where  the stitches are not uniform. Can you direct me to more information for troubleshooting the issue?  Machine is a Kenmore 12 Stitch - my college graduation gift all those years ago.  Thank you E7AAA006-4D57-4B4E-8AFC-623441D111FD.thumb.jpeg.715bcdd65357c46e62aedf90ab6de979.jpegD0A2B1B0-9E1B-4D17-874B-7ACC444490BD.thumb.jpeg.3aa6aced7d1f0f64a182a7b6545ef8d4.jpegfront and back of first attempt 

Front and back of second trial 👇🏻

46F3CC56-A273-4361-9EB0-4F70E21A959B.thumb.jpeg.bd81fef5444ac5a3f1130f1ce0c3a407.jpegBFC222C3-E32F-4DBC-94A4-DFD1350D8704.thumb.jpeg.cd0d856c3a185d53664268d6a6245df6.jpeg

02D48144-722A-4017-BDBB-1A15D406AFCD.jpeg

Hello again. Did a search through Threads Magazine / Insider and the only thought I have is to go down the left side, bar tack and then pivot the shirt and go 'down' on the other side.  Shirt is made from fabric purchased back in 2008 when we were in Delta AK.  I had thought at the time to make a scrub shirt for myself and as you can see that never happened! So on this cruise to Alaska a 'Hawaii' style shirt for my hubby. This shirt was at the Iditarod store in Wassail when we were there in 2008. They were selling for around $75 at the time.

image.jpeg.1af1cdb09b287597b4335be6f56b1dfe.jpeg

• Like 1

My machine has an automatic button hole feature. I said a few four-letter words while using it and had to make several trial holes before I figured it out. Then I still had to rip one out. The next project I made was knit and if you think ripping out button holes from woven fabric is painstaking, try it on a knit fabric. 🤬

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, redlady62 said:

Good day everyone ! Slowly getting back to sewing. Retired 8 weeks ago and I might just have more ‘time’. Question about bottom holes (I hate them, but did a trial run with snaps and they didn’t stay in the fabric of the test shirt) Did some practice button holes, the first section looks beautiful, bar tack and then go back up and this is where  the stitches are not uniform. Can you direct me to more information for troubleshooting the issue?  Machine is a Kenmore 12 Stitch - my college graduation gift all those years ago.  👇🏻

Congratulations on retirement!!!

I still have my 1984 Kenmore Ultra Stitch 12 just for its buttonhole attachment. I will admit, that I rarely use the buttonhole dials on any of my sewing machines as they end up like yours.  YouTube is my go to for help, so get your model (may be on a plate at the back or side of the machine if not right up and centre) and check out YouTube.  Here is my model and shows how to use the attachment. 

Otherwise, check out how to make buttonholes on any Kenmore (or older machine for that matter) as it will have that dial step thing going on. 

The button hole is at least even, so you could just restitch the 'second' long side in normal zigzag mode if you can figure out the width and depth.

Also try a more matching colour of thread on your sample and see if it really shows that much when a button passes through the hole.  It most likely would be prudent to use a product like Fray Check (a liquid stabilizer), apply to the buttonhole including the thread. let it dry and then cut the hole. Maybe use a sharp razor blade, box knife or chisel to make it a clean cut rather than a seam ripper or scissors that seem to put stress on the hole and make it look frayed. If you go the seam ripper or tiny scissor route, put the tip at the bar tack, cut to the middle, then start again from the other bar tack and cut to the middle. Picky, I know but it will stablize the button hole and keep that 'factory made' look.

Edited by mef_57
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

My machine has an automatic button hole feature. I said a few four-letter words while using it and had to make several trial holes before I figured it out. Then I still had to rip one out. The next project I made was knit and if you think ripping out button holes from woven fabric is painstaking, try it on a knit fabric. 🤬

Yeah, knit fabric and button holes are my least favourite.... followed by zippers!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mef_57 said:

Congratulations on retirement!!!

I still have my 1984 Kenmore Ultra Stitch 12 just for its buttonhole attachment. I will admit, that I rarely use the buttonhole dials on any of my sewing machines as they end up like yours.  YouTube is my go to for help, so get your model (may be on a plate at the back or side of the machine if not right up and centre) and check out YouTube.  Here is my model and shows how to use the attachment. 

Otherwise, check out how to make buttonholes on any Kenmore (or older machine for that matter) as it will have that dial step thing going on. 

The button hole is at least even, so you could just restitch the 'second' long side in normal zigzag mode if you can figure out the width and depth.

Also try a more matching colour of thread on your sample and see if it really shows that much when a button passes through the hole.  It most likely would be prudent to use a product like Fray Check (a liquid stabilizer), apply to the buttonhole including the thread. let it dry and then cut the hole. Maybe use a sharp razor blade, box knife or chisel to make it a clean cut rather than a seam ripper or scissors that seem to put stress on the hole and make it look frayed. If you go the seam ripper or tiny scissor route, put the tip at the bar tack, cut to the middle, then start again from the other bar tack and cut to the middle. Picky, I know but it will stablize the button hole and keep that 'factory made' look.

I never thought to look for Kenmore specific Youtube video! Duh!  I do have a buttonhole attachment as well (looks very similar to the Singer one my mum use to have a long time ago in a land far, far away) and did not like the samples that I had made on the muslin / trial shirt.  Thank you, will do more looking.

It is done! Phew! In the hamper to be washed before packing this weekend. Found the Fray Check in my ‘stash’ of stuff (it really has been a while) and applied to all knots and edge of the button holes before carefully sniping them open.  Thank you all for holding my hands while I worked on it ❤️EDB5634E-F4B6-4098-A962-17A5F0C8AC57.thumb.jpeg.67c9376514637a13fb4e28fe26dba327.jpeg6AABABC2-DD0E-492B-B5AE-D50562CCB8F0.thumb.jpeg.0219ba3382763f05a48587c558287bb4.jpeg2ECEA9A9-16B5-4D89-994C-7601669C5741.thumb.jpeg.c73b85093aa1033309524812932896ec.jpeg

2ADAF31A-0CBC-43BF-B6D7-E2CCBB820DA9.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, redlady62 said:

It is done! Phew! In the hamper to be washed before packing this weekend. Found the Fray Check in my ‘stash’ of stuff (it really has been a while) and applied to all knots and edge of the button holes before carefully sniping them open.  Thank you all for holding my hands while I worked on it ❤️EDB5634E-F4B6-4098-A962-17A5F0C8AC57.thumb.jpeg.67c9376514637a13fb4e28fe26dba327.jpeg6AABABC2-DD0E-492B-B5AE-D50562CCB8F0.thumb.jpeg.0219ba3382763f05a48587c558287bb4.jpeg2ECEA9A9-16B5-4D89-994C-7601669C5741.thumb.jpeg.c73b85093aa1033309524812932896ec.jpeg

2ADAF31A-0CBC-43BF-B6D7-E2CCBB820DA9.jpeg

It looks wonderful. Such a fun print with its own memories. Happy to help support. Buttonholes look great.