This is a serious question !

cruiserguy11

Why do people drink light beer?

Light beer contains approximately 2/3rds of the calories. But thats because it contains only 2/3rds of the alcohol compared to normal beer.

So do people who drink it want to imbibe the same amount of liquid yet get less alcohol so as to not get drunk? Or do they think they're getting the same amount of alcohol but with less calories? (Good marketing does wonders.)

The brewers make a fortune off of light beer. All they do is make normal beer and remove 1/3rd of the alcohol then sell that alcohol. Yet charge the same for light beer.

So serious replies please ... if you drink light beer WHY?

We used to have meetings at the Budweiser place downtown and got treated to how they make light beer.

I couldnt believe they put water in it to cut down on the calories.. water??!!

Might as well drink regular beer and drink less of it or water it down yourself.

I prefer micro brews but drink light beer if I know I'm going to have a few more than normal or am going to be driving. I like the taste of beer in general and light beer is good to have if you don't want to get trashed. But believe me you can get drunk on light beer. I believe Guiness has the lowest alcohol content. There is hardly any alcohol in Guiness believe it or not.

It's obviously not a third less alcohol. about 4/5ths of the alchohol. OP has some bad info.

Yup. I was told about the 2/3rds many moons ago by, believe it or not, a beer salesman in a tavern. I've had that figure in my head for years. So after what you said I googled it and you're right...lessee...

Bud 5%

Bud light 4.2%

Coors 4.9%

Coors light 4.15%

http://www.beer100.com/beercalories.htm

But I still hate it...lol. And I hate the aluminum bottles they serve on Carnival. (Good thing about it is it's 16 oz.)

Less calories and the ability to drink more beers over a longer period of time.

For me thats the reason. I will drink wine occasionally but anything else and its too much for me. I guess you could say im a "light" drinker,lol

Not a light beer drinker, BUT, when thirsty and knowing that I'm going to be drinking all day and night, I will start off with Coors Light or the 64 calorie beer... But I do have to admit that the silver bullet hits the spot when it's hot and i'm thirsty.. Under 'normal' circumstances, I prefer the Belgium beers and the dark stuff...

Light beer contains approximately 2/3rds of the calories. But thats because it contains only 2/3rds of the alcohol compared to normal beer.

So do people who drink it want to imbibe the same amount of liquid yet get less alcohol so as to not get drunk? Or do they think they're getting the same amount of alcohol but with less calories? (Good marketing does wonders.)

The brewers make a fortune off of light beer. All they do is make normal beer and remove 1/3rd of the alcohol then sell that alcohol. Yet charge the same for light beer.

I think most people do it for the calories.Alcohol is empty calories for those of us who calorie count

1) I don't drink to get drunk, and

2) I prefer to eat my calories, not drink them.

Corona Light and Bud Light Lime are my summer favorites.

Its all about quantity over quality.

:)

My college days are way behind me - I don't drink just to get drunk these days. I'm a bit of a beer snob and prefer quality over quantity.

Besides, I'm a porter and stout drinker - can't really have too many of those without getting bloated pretty quick.....

Archived