Cabins to avoid

In case it is useful, I'll start this off with:

Majesty: Deck 4 anything to the rear of cabins #498 and #497 inside and outside cabins (don't know how far forward problem was but definitely bad noise/vibration behind those cabins - midships Deck 4 was good)

I'm sure Dave will also add the single cabin deck/numbers on Celebration and Spirit.

It would be helpful if people explained the reason for not being happy with a particular cabin/area too. Hopefully it will keep getting bumped as more people check it and add to it.

Edited by kruzseeka

Majesty inside deck 6 midships cabin 6053. Very bad vibration and rattling. Cabin carpet grubby and furniture chipped badly. Needs a deep clean.

Good grief, that cabin is midships and should be well away from any vibration. :eek:

Any of the single cabins. I have cruised on both ships several times and on reflection have never had a really good nighta sleep :(.

Cabin 575 on Spirit last month was truly awful on 3 nights. Sailing in and out of Geirangerfjord especially. Just like being in a concrete mixer but with no water to soften the blows. I moved to the showlounge to get some sleep. The rest of the time a nice hammer effect through your pillow.:eek::eek::eek:

Good grief, that cabin is midships and should be well away from any vibration. :eek:

I know, Dave, which is why we chose it, but there were times when my bed actually vibrated. At the same time there was a loud rattling in the walls.

Edited by Little Nell
spelling

Thomson Dream

The cabins on Deck 9 mid-ship (9019 to 9040) had a very loud vibrating news, I think coming from some sort of generator or something in the middle. Seemed quite a noisy area anyway.

Thomson Celebration & Thomson Spirit

Decks 1 and 2 (and maybe decks 3 and 4 also) cabins at the back suffer from a vibration noise from the engine. If on these decks, I would try and book anything mid-ship to the front.

Thomson Dream

The cabins on Deck 9 mid-ship (9019 to 9040) had a very loud vibrating news, I think coming from some sort of generator or something in the middle. Seemed quite a noisy area anyway.

Thomson Celebration & Thomson Spirit

Decks 1 and 2 (and maybe decks 3 and 4 also) cabins at the back suffer from a vibration noise from the engine. If on these decks, I would try and book anything mid-ship to the front.

Athough I was on deck 7 I did a walkabout of Dream while we were at sea and can confirm that those cabins seemed to be in a very noisey area. A lot of the noise seemed to come from the ceiling and there is also that mysterious white space which may contain air conditioning plant? I thought it a bit of a con to have to pay extra for that area.

Thinks. Thomson are not going to like this topic ;)

I remember a alarming clanging noise around the port rear stairwell on deck 3. It sounded like a trip hammer hitting a metal drum in the engine room. Only when the ship was moving but i don't know if cabins nearby had problems.

Athough I was on deck 7 I did a walkabout of Dream while we were at sea and can confirm that those cabins seemed to be in a very noisey area. A lot of the noise seemed to come from the ceiling and there is also that mysterious white space which may contain air conditioning plant? I thought it a bit of a con to have to pay extra for that area.

Thinks. Thomson are not going to like this topic ;)

Didn't stay in these cabins either but we used to cut through from Stairway A or the upstairs of the Broadway Show Lounge to the Lido Restaurant and that area in the middle seemed very noisy. That blank white space is also on Deck 10 too, so don't know if this is also the case there. Interestingly, the corridor next to the Ocean Bar and Argo Lounge was also noisy, right below this mystery white space.

Edited by Sailaway487

My husband and I are getting quite concerned about what we are reading regarding the noise on the Spirit. We have not as yet booked our holiday in October but had intended to do so within the next two weeks but we are now thinking we might have to look elsewhere. We are very light sleepers (much to our annoyance) however this is something we just can`t help.

If anyone can assist with some knowledge/information about the best and worst cabins I would really appreciate the advice.

We had just intended to book Deck 2, somewhere in the middle, as opposed to higher decks on the ship (and spend the saving on excursions etc.) however it would appear that the noise is everywhere. We would be happy to go `up` the way if that would help.

Thanks in the meantime

:confused:Wish this thread had been started before I did North Cape Adventure on 18th June. It was a great adventure - apart from the BAD vibrations, which seemed to be all over the ship, from Deck 1 to Horizons on Deck 12 & all decks inbetween, especially Broadway Show Lounge. I have never experienced anything like this before on other cruise lines, & will have to think very carefully before I sail on Spirit again, or any other ship in the Thomson fleet, according to the information which is now becoming known. It's rumoured that the Beach Boys are re-working their Good Vibrations hit for the Thomson theme tune -

:(BAD VIBRATIONS!!!!!:mad:

My husband and I are getting quite concerned about what we are reading regarding the noise on the Spirit. We have not as yet booked our holiday in October but had intended to do so within the next two weeks but we are now thinking we might have to look elsewhere. We are very light sleepers (much to our annoyance) however this is something we just can`t help.

If anyone can assist with some knowledge/information about the best and worst cabins I would really appreciate the advice.

We had just intended to book Deck 2, somewhere in the middle, as opposed to higher decks on the ship (and spend the saving on excursions etc.) however it would appear that the noise is everywhere. We would be happy to go `up` the way if that would help.

Thanks in the meantime

Yes it is true that Thomson Spirit does suffer from a vibration problem, but personally it has never affected me sleeping at night before. There are some areas of the ship that it is most recognised, mainly the areas at the back. I have had a cabin on Deck 2 three times now and have never had a problem in sleeping and wouldn't stop me booking again. I would make sure though that you pay the £39 to pre-book a cabin, and I would go for any cabin from 680 upwards. The cabins past the stairs right at the front (600 to 659) have an L-shaped layout which isn't the most ideal layout. 716 and 711 are most definitely the best cabins as they are double the size of others. The only downside is that they are next to the gangway area, but not much noise should be experienced.

Thank you so much for the last few posts. I have done so much `work` browsing, checking, researching all different cruises and always keep coming back to Thomson so I am so reluctant to start all over again.

I think we will just go ahead and take our chances but will definitely take the advice you have both given. Many thanks.

Thank you so much for the last few posts. I have done so much `work` browsing, checking, researching all different cruises and always keep coming back to Thomson so I am so reluctant to start all over again.

I think we will just go ahead and take our chances but will definitely take the advice you have both given. Many thanks.

cautiouskate

As well as other Thomson ships since 1989, we have cruised on Celebration and Spirit four times with a fifth coming up next June when we do the Ancient Wonders & Crimean Discovery. All cabins have been on Deck 3 and ranged between 446 and 504 and there have been no problems whatsoever from vibration/lifts/noise or nuclear fall-out).

Please stop worrying, book your cruise and also the cabin you would like, and go and enjoy yourself. First timers soon become old hands by the time they come home and are ready to book again. Look at the number of repeat customers on this forum alone. :)

Edited by skioncruises

On our first Thomson Celebration cruise, I did not pre-book a cabin and we therefore ended up with an inside at the very front on deck 1. This was OK except in the early morning, when there was a lot of very loud noise docking. I imagine this would apply on Spirit and probably all ships.

On our first Thomson Celebration cruise, I did not pre-book a cabin and we therefore ended up with an inside at the very front on deck 1. This was OK except in the early morning, when there was a lot of very loud noise docking. I imagine this would apply on Spirit and probably all ships.

Yes, that will be the bow thrusters used when docking and undocking. as sometimes the ship docks well before the scheduled time it can still be the wee hours :eek:

Even modern ships have noise from the thrusters. On Ventura i could hear them 4 decks up!

We were in 814 on deck 1 on the recent North Cape cruise. This was a larger than average double outside and had loads of storage and wardrobe space and plenty of space to move around. It was right at the fore lift which took us straight to our favourite hangout Horizons. It was opposite the laundry which I worried might be an issue when I chose it, but we had no noise issues whatsoever and I didn't notice the vibration particularly though I was aware of it in other places eg parts of the Broadway.

Like others who have already posted, we had a wonderful time on Spirit and will certainly cruise on her again.

Isobel

Ps I was convinced that a lady we dined with one night was Scarey Mary as that was her name and she had a problem with her leg. I finally plucked up courage to ask her and it wasn't her at all. Sorry we didn't get to meet any of of the others from this cruise, though I do remember Risa in Horizons as I particularly sought out her name to add her to my 'oscars' list as she had been so pleasant and attentive.

When we went on the Celebration (which is identical to the Spirit) I decided to prebook a cabin - 370 on deck 3.It was at the end of a row and right next to Reception and the stairs etc.

There were no cabins opposite our door- or so I thought from the deck plan.Little did I realise that there was a cabin directly opposite our door which was used as a general 'staff room' by the cleaners etc so the door was wedged open at 6am and there was a constant stream of staff laughing and chatting from 6am till late into the evening.

Never again.Who wants to be woken up every morning at 6am!

So chose your cabin wisely!

Flopsy

When we went on The Spirit - I prebooked Cabin 312 on Deck 4 and I was very pleased to discover that it was much roomier than I expected.

It had parallel beds at least 6 foot apart with the head of each beds pointing towards the front end of the ship.It had four sets of drawers.

The cabins numbered higher than 312 were smaller.

I spoke to the cabin cleaner and she told me that cabins 312 to 300 are all bigger than the higher numbered cabins 316 upwards - they have L shape bed arrangment and less drawers.

So you know which to chose now!

Flopsy

• 3 years later...