funny shaped cat SZ balconies on the Zuiderdam

ej22ndrow

Hi, I posted this on the sticky thread about cabin photos as well because I wasn't sure where exactly to post this so please forgive the double post.

I'm looking for any info I can get regarding the balconies on the 2 SZ cabins on the Zuiderdam: 6052 & 6117.

This will be our first time on HA. Right now, we are booked in a category VC on the Verandah Deck. We have the opportunity to upgrade to one of the above SZ suites for $100 more total.

I know the SZ cabins will be much larger and that they will NOT get all the great suite perks that an SA or SB suite would but I think we'd be ok with just the extra space.

My concern is with the shape of the balcony. I swear I read a review somewhere from someone that had a balcony shaped like this but now I can't find it. Seems like the balcony on 6117 will be facing into the wind and may not allow for enjoyable use on our trip to Alaska.

The balcony on 6052 will face against the wind but I'm not sure about looking behind me and not ahead of me.

Any thoughts please?

Hi, I posted this on the sticky thread about cabin photos as well because I wasn't sure where exactly to post this so please forgive the double post.

I'm looking for any info I can get regarding the balconies on the 2 SZ cabins on the Zuiderdam: 6052 & 6117.

My concern is with the shape of the balcony. I swear I read a review somewhere from someone that had a balcony shaped like this but now I can't find it. Seems like the balcony on 6117 will be facing into the wind and may not allow for enjoyable use on our trip to Alaska.

The balcony on 6052 will face against the wind but I'm not sure about looking behind me and not ahead of me.

Any thoughts please?

On Joanie's site, there are pictures of 6052 on the Westerdam, including several of the balcony. I think it looks intriguing!:) Hopefully someone who has been in one of those cabins will chime in.

I do have not only photos of SZ 6052 and SY 6108 (It is the Handicapped version of SZ 6117, same location, just opposite side of the ship)on Westerdam (younger sister ship to Zuiderdam, and my own experience in one deck below on Oosterdam:)

SZ 6052 on Westerdam will be the same as Zuiderdam. And let me tell you, I love that layout!!

Photos of SZ 6052 can be seen here (about 1/2 way down the page): http://abqreunion2008.com/Westerdam/Deck-6.html

I also have Zuiderdam's SY 6108 photos here (see the paragraph above about it) : http://abqreunion2008.com/Zuiderdam/Deck-6.html

The views from the Forward staterooms in "The Bend" of the ship, 6049, 6052 are amazing!! And with the way the partition is between the staterooms just forward of them, it is amazing how well you can enjoy that verandah even while the ship is moving full steam ahead:)

We were in VF 5054 on the Oosterdam, as I said, one deck below the SZ 6052 and LOVED IT!!! Photos of our views, some of them can be seen here (again, about 1/2 way down the page) : http://abqreunion2008.com/Oosterdam/Deck-5.html

I would not hesitate for a heart beat in taking either of the forward SZ'zs in The Bend of the ship. But do not think I would be so happy to take one of those further back, SZ 6117 or SY 6108 due to the wind in my face.

On Nieuw Amsterdam 6049 and 6052 are VB Staterooms instead and I do have photos of VB 6052 (almost 1/2 way down the page) http://abqreunion2008.com/Nieuw_Amsterdam/Deck-6.html

6117 was renumbered on the Signature Class ships to SS 6113) and 6108 are SS. SS 6108 and SS 6113 (6117 on the Vista ships) can be seen here (1/2 way down the page) http://abqreunion2008.com/Nieuw_Amsterdam/Deck-6.html

Hope these help?

Joanie

This will be our first time on HA. Right now, we are booked in a category VC on the Verandah Deck. We have the opportunity to upgrade to one of the above SZ suites for $100 more total.

I know the SZ cabins will be much larger and that they will NOT get all the great suite perks that an SA or SB suite would but I think we'd be ok with just the extra space.

Any thoughts please?

I just answered in the Stateroom Sticky and am posting it here for you also:)

Preference for us, the Forward "Bend" staterooms SZ 6052 or SZ 6049. BUT only because of the partition between them and the stateroom fore of them. Otherwise any of thoise would do for us:)

EDITED TO ADD: Note to Cindy!! Thank you for answering the OP:) And you are right, those staterooms are intriguing and awesome:)

Joanie

I can not speak to the size of your balcony, Iwas in SB7088.on the Zuiderdam last week. In this room our view was forward and side because of the odd shape. I can tell you that wind was a factor for us on several occasions. We didn't use our balcony nearly as much as we did on our first Alaskan cruise.

Curious are they offering you specifically one of the SZ cabins or an SZ guarantee?

If it's a GUAR you are unlikely to actually get one of the SZ cabins although of course it is possible. More likely you would be assigned an SY or an SS. From an SZ GUAR booking we have been upgraded to almost everything from an SY to an SA over the years. The only cabins that we (and that's just us) would not want from this GUAR position are the two forward handicap cabins 5001 and 5002 I believe all the way forward.

Thank you so much! I'm on the phone now making the switch to 6052. Of course, now they are telling me in addition to the $100 price difference to upgrade, I'll also have to give up $50 in OBC from my original booking because that OBC is "not combinable with the promotional fare of the SZ" but my husband REALLY wants the extra space of the suite so it's worth it to him :)

Curious are they offering you specifically one of the SZ cabins or an SZ guarantee?

If it's a GUAR you are unlikely to actually get one of the SZ cabins although of course it is possible. More likely you would be assigned an SY or an SS. From an SZ GUAR booking we have been upgraded to almost everything from an SY to an SA over the years. The only cabins that we (and that's just us) would not want from this GUAR position are the two forward handicap cabins 5001 and 5002 I believe all the way forward.

When I looked online, they actually listed both cabins specifically as opposed to saying an SZ GUAR. However, once on the phone trying to make the switch, they tried to say it was for a GUAR. I complained a little that if it was a GUAR why did they offer specific cabin numbers and not say GUAR like I see under other categories. Anyway, they eventually agreed to give me cabin 6052 specifically.

I was afraid to take the GUAR because as of right now, the cat SY's are listed as GUAR only. The next category SS, does have several cabins open but they are all on the deck just below LIDO and I do not want to pay for a cabin below the LIDO. I know I could have possibly gotten an upgrade to an SA, SB or SC but since there are so many SS's still available (and knowing my luck) I would probably have ended up in one of the SS's under the LIDO.

When I looked online, they actually listed both cabins specifically as opposed to saying an SZ GUAR. However, once on the phone trying to make the switch, they tried to say it was for a GUAR. I complained a little that if it was a GUAR why did they offer specific cabin numbers and not say GUAR like I see under other categories. Anyway, they eventually agreed to give me cabin 6052 specifically.

I was afraid to take the GUAR because as of right now, the cat SY's are listed as GUAR only. The next category SS, does have several cabins open but they are all on the deck just below LIDO and I do not want to pay for a cabin below the LIDO. I know I could have possibly gotten an upgrade to an SA, SB or SC but since there are so many SS's still available (and knowing my luck) I would probably have ended up in one of the SS's under the LIDO.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but isn't the order ss, sy, sz and then su (if the ship has spa suites?) I thought I knew- just curious.

Thank you so much! I'm on the phone now making the switch to 6052. Of course, now they are telling me in addition to the $100 price difference to upgrade, I'll also have to give up $50 in OBC from my original booking because that OBC is "not combinable with the promotional fare of the SZ" but my husband REALLY wants the extra space of the suite so it's worth it to him :)

We made that upgrade on our last Hawaii cruise, and the cabin is so much more spacious. We loved the configuration of the cabin and the balcony! Enjoy!:D

Friends of ours were in SZ6117 on Zuiderdam and the balcony is kind of narrow and a little odd. We did notice that it was very windy and buffeting when the ship was at sea running at speed. Personally, I found it to be uncomfortable. The cabin is much larger, but If you think the wind will bother you, then you might consider something else.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but isn't the order ss, sy, sz and then su (if the ship has spa suites?) I thought I knew- just curious.

Actually the other way around for the Superior Stateroom Category. I made the same mistake when I booked our Dec 2 2012 cruise....

It gores like this for the Superior Verandah Suites: SZ, SY, SS, SU (depending on the ship if there is a Spa Category).

Joanie

SS is the highest of Superior Verandahs, then SY amd SZ. You would be upgraded from SZ to SY to SS.

Similar to how other cabins are in each category- ranked by the second letter in each designation from A being the highest to Z: SA, SB, SC or VA, VB, VC and so on in alphabetical order of the second letter.

Archived