12-day Greek Islands cruise

OPSnorkeler

We are considering the 12-day Greek Islands cruise in 2013. I have not seen any trip reports on that particular itieneray. I would love to know how people felt about the ports. Also are there any excursions that you would recommend?

We have never cruised on the Ruby, but have been on the Emerald, so we know what to expect in regards to the ship.

If this is Princess' standard 12-day Greek Islands itinerary, it's a good one (and Ruby has been one of Princess's most well-rated ships, as yo probably know).

I nearly did this cruise back in 2010; had done a lot of research on the ports (some of them visited on different cruises since then) but had to cancel for work reasons. I still think it's a nice itinerary, probably second only to the Princess Grand Mediterranean itinerary.

If there are specific ports you want opinions on, it would help if you would list them.

If this is Princess' standard 12-day Greek Islands itinerary, it's a good one (and Ruby has been one of Princess's most well-rated ships, as yo probably know).

I nearly did this cruise back in 2010; had done a lot of research on the ports (some of them visited on different cruises since then) but had to cancel for work reasons. I still think it's a nice itinerary, probably second only to the Princess Grand Mediterranean itinerary.

If there are specific ports you want opinions on, it would help if you would list them.

We are also considering booking an Eastern Med. cruise for the summer of 2013. The choice is between the Ruby Princess (Greek Islands) and the Celebrity Silhouette (Adriatic). On the one hand, we would love to see Santorini and Mykonos on the Ruby, but on the other, the Adriatic cruise stops in some less-visited ports that sound interesting (Kotor, Koper and Split) and also visits Sicily. Both ships sound great and both visit Venice, Dubrovnik and Corfu.

Having a hard time deciding in part because the Silhouette is newer and has received great reviews, but Santorini especially is someplace we would like to see. Prices are comparable.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated! Thanks.

We took the Princess 12-day Greek Islands cruise many years ago and had a wonderful time. Both Santorini and Mykonos are beautiful. Santorini was actually my favorite port, and Venice was my second favorite. Ruby is a new ship too, and I don't think you need to be overly concerned.

I have never been to the Adriatic ports on your list. However, I believe that they are great too. I think you will enjoy either choice, and there is always next time :)

Thank you for your responses. Yes, I have been looking at the traditional 12-day Greek Islands itinerary.

I am particularly interested in Santorini, Mykonos, Dubrovnic and Ephesus. I have always wanted to visit Santorini - it looks so beautiful.

Also, I notice that the Ruby overnights in Venice the first night. Our thought is to start our flight from the US east coast the night before and arrive early the day of embarkation. That would give us part of that day and the next day before sailaway to see some of Venice. We would also like to spend a few extra days in Rome at the end of the trip.

Does that sound like a reasonable plan?

You have to keep the change of time zones in mind. It will likely be late morning at least when you arrive in Venice. Then you have to get to the ship. You would be much better off arriving a day earlier.

There is so much to see in Venice that you will be glad of any extra time you can get. Of course, that is even more the case for Rome. Just throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain and come back again.

We are also considering booking an Eastern Med. cruise for the summer of 2013. The choice is between the Ruby Princess (Greek Islands) and the Celebrity Silhouette (Adriatic). On the one hand, we would love to see Santorini and Mykonos on the Ruby, but on the other, the Adriatic cruise stops in some less-visited ports that sound interesting (Kotor, Koper and Split) and also visits Sicily. Both ships sound great and both visit Venice, Dubrovnik and Corfu.

Having a hard time deciding in part because the Silhouette is newer and has received great reviews, but Santorini especially is someplace we would like to see. Prices are comparable.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated! Thanks.

I think I found the Celebrity cruise you're considering, so for comparison:

Celebrity ports: Venice, Koper, Ravenna, Split, Kotor, Dubrovnik, Bari, Corfu, Valletta, Catania, Salerno, Rome (13 days)

Princess ports: Venice, Dubrovnik, Corfu, Olympia, Athens, Mykonos, Ephesus, Santorini, Naples, Rome (12 days)

Yes, they both leave from Venice (with an overnight there) and include Dubrovnik (great) and Corfu (not my favorite). But they are really different otherwise. It's a shame neither cruise gets to Istanbul....!

The Princess itinerary hits more of what I'd consider the "must see" Eastern ports, e.g., Athens, Ephesus, Santorini. If you've not been to these three before, I would highly recommend this cruise. Olympia and Mykonos too are very interesting IF you are into ancient history.

Also Princess stops in Naples while Celebrity is in Salerno. Naples is more convenient for some things (Capri, Pompeii), while Salerno is more convenient for the Amalfi Coast.

The Celebrity ports that differ from the Princess itinerary and that I'd be excited about are Ravenna, Split, and Catania. Ravenna has world class Byzantine mosaics (but not a lot other than that if it isn't your cup of tea), Split has Diocletian's palace, and from Catania you can visit the fabulous Greek ruins at Siracusa. (Again, if you're not into that, many people like to visit Mt. Etna from Catania.)

I'm afraid I'm not much into "scenic" ports, so Kotor doesn't hold a lot of allure for me. Same for Koper -- it looks picturesque, but not a lot of history there. If you're into strolling and shopping, I'm sure these ports would be relatively easy and nice.

Not sure if that helps.....in the end you've got to go for what interests you the most. :)

This may be a bit off topic. Our Princess cruise was from Rome to Venice. At the end of the cruise and one extra night in Venice, we rented a car to drive from Venice back to Rome. This allowed us to see the Tuscany and to spend extra time in Florence.

• 2 weeks later...

We are already booked on the Celebrity Silhouette to do this Adriatic cruise next year, but we're considering changing to the Ruby Princess 14 nt Greek Isles that does include Istanbul. Too many Greek Isles, but I have always wanted to visit Istanbul so we'll probably make the change.

Thank you for your responses. Yes, I have been looking at the traditional 12-day Greek Islands itinerary. I am particularly interested in Santorini, Mykonos, Dubrovnic and Ephesus. I have always wanted to visit Santorini - it looks so beautiful. Also, I notice that the Ruby overnights in Venice the first night. Our thought is to start our flight from the US east coast the night before and arrive early the day of embarkation. That would give us part of that day and the next day before sailaway to see some of Venice. We would also like to spend a few extra days in Rome at the end of the trip. Does that sound like a reasonable plan?

Lots and lots of great options and places to enjoy on that cruise. Such wonderful variety and experiences!!! Great places along that scenic Croatian Coast, in historic Ephesus, etc. Yes, that added time in Rome will be wise and needed. Below are a few other added details and options to consider. Cynthia and others have offered great added insights.

BUT, I worry and strongly advise against only getting to Venice the day of your cruise departure. That does not allow any real time to see and experience this great city, nor provide any insurance/cushion in the event of any flight/weather delays. Where are you flying from? Also, if you are tired from a long, trans-Atlantic flight, your body needs a little "adjustment time".

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 7,000 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

More on wonderful Kotor and nearby, check these postings. Have had over 7,600 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and commented.:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

Since Venice is one of your key stops, you might look at this earlier posting that I did on the Italy board that shows many options and visual potentials for this city that is so great for "walking around", personally sampling the great history and architecture. This posting has now had over 11,000 views and I appreciate those who have dropped by and tuned in. Don’t be shy in sharing any questions or comments.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 94,458 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

We started in Dubrovnik with a local cab driver who gave us a “panoramic tour”, including crossing their unique bridge near the main cruise ship docking area. He called this bridge their “Golden Gate” like in San Francisco. It is nine years old. Then we drove up and up through narrow twisting roads to the high point overlooking Dubrovnik and near the cable car high station. From this point, we could also see part of Bosnia and and Montenegro. The “super star” view was down below with this angle of the harbor and walled city. Beautiful!!!:

2DubrOverallHighViewOne.jpg

This is a view of the historic Dubrovnik wall at an upward and outward point built on top of the rocks and where it overlooks the Adriatic Sea. Walking this wall is a wonderful and unique way to sample and see up close and personal what makes this city so special.:

DubrovWallWaterViews.jpg

Looking downhill towards the library and other ruins from when Ephesus, along the Turkish Coast, was Rome's capital of Asia Minor. The history here is real and totally amazing!:

EphRuinsLongShot.jpg

At Ephesus along the Turkish Coast, here is the famed outdoor theater that hosted Saint Paul preaching, plus rock stars, etc. At this site in the 1st century AD, the Apostle Paul spent over three years in Ephesus preaching the Gospel. This included a sermon condemning pagan worship in this theater:

Amphitheatre.jpg

Here’s a sampling of the narrow, flowered street in Mykonos in the Greek Isles with its many shops. The streets were made so narrow in order to fend off pirate attackers. It is an island with lots of history and legend dating back thousands of years, including connections to ancient Greek mythology. Ionians settled on Mykonos in the early part of the 11th century BC. As Delos developed as a sacred center, Mykonos was under the influences of the different people, including Phoenicians, Macedonians and Athenians. With the rise of Alexander the Great, the fate of Mykonos became a commercial center for agriculture and maritime trade. Mykonos flourished with enormous wealth during Roman occupation during the reign of Augustus Caesar. During the Middle Ages, Mykonos fell under the Venetians and later were victimized by the Saracens and latter the Turks. Starting in the 1950’s, its unique architecture, seclusion and hospitality have made it a haven for the rich and famous.:

1A-Myk-FlowerStreet.jpg

This harbor view in Mykonos shows one of the charming windmills. From as early as the 16th century, these are one of the most recognized landmarks of Mykonos. The island is 33 square miles in size and has a population of 9,300, mostly in its main village.:

1A-Mykonos-Harbor.jpg

Flying in the day of embarkation should be okay since you are overnighting and not sailing until the following day.

I have spent many months in Greece and the one Island that I didn't get to is Santorini; I will always regret this. Because it's so iconic and easily recognizable, I would take the Princess itinerary. I understand Dubrovnik is beautiful, so I would want that one too.

Definitely spend a few days in Rome.

Have a great cruise, no matter what itinerary you choose!

The Greek Islands are one of my favorite itineraries in the world. Since this is only in the planning stages for a couple of you, strongly suggest you avoid this itinerary from mid-June through August. It is extremely crowded and hot during this time. Santorini, in particular, (a spectacular port) has so many ships in port during the summer that it can be difficult to even walk around. For some, it turns a dream into a nightmare. We were in Santorini May, 2012 -- great weather -- no crowds -- perfect! Have also done a Greek Island cruise in October (early) and it was also wonderful.

Don't book during the hot summer months. Try the spring or fall if your schedule permits. Great deals this year, and last year.

I've always said the same.

But we're just back today from the Crown Princess 12-day Venice to Rome.:rolleyes:

Our UK weather had been so awful this year that we took a cheap deal to get some sun.

The weather on the cruise was hot - up to 40degreesC :eek:

Big difference is that we'd already seen the ancient sites on previous visits at other times of the year, so no real problem for us.

We explored Venice in the evening (great), Dubrovnik too hot for us to walk the walls but a pleasantly cool & breezy laid-back hour or two (& a beer or two) at the top of the cablecar, and plenty of shade in town & on the harbourfront.

A lazy day in Athens, mainly on the ho-ho & around Plaka. But the Acropolis can't have been any fun for those who braved it & was closed at 2pm because it was too hot.

From Katacolon we hired a car (thanks for the recommendation) to visit Olympia but ducked out when we got there due to the heat & instead drove the villages & beaches (ancient sites aren't really our thing anyway).

Kusadasi we also hired a car & drove the hills, woods & beaches, but again felt for the poor folk touring the ancient site of Ephesus.

The Greek islands (first-timers in Corfu, Mykonos & Santorini) were great for people-watching over a cool beer & wandering the shady town lanes.

Naples - no problem on the coast/ferries. We'd been to Pompeii before but again felt for those exploring it in the heat - its a huge place, with very little shade. We hopped off the delightful & beautifully-maintained (;)) Circumvesuviana train at Herculaneum with some trepidation due to the heat. But it was a dream. It covers only a few blocks, we could take our time, and its in a remarkable state of preservation with many complete villas, houses & shops & hence plenty of shade. Even I was impressed by the place. But Naples itself is still a filthy dump.

The weather changed as we approached Rome - some welcome rain & broken cloud. But packed-out, so no fun for those who wanted to check out St Peter's or the Colosseum.

If you're an ancient history buff, the summer is no time to do this cruise.

Fortunately. I'm more into researching "beers of the Mediterranean" & the weather (if not the prices) was ideal ;)

Tacking Istanbul onto this sort of itinerary would be perfect

JB :)

Archived