Stopovers for European cruises??

Can anybody who has flown to Europe and had a short stopover (ie one designed to rest between legs of the flight rather than a mini-holiday in itself) advise what they have done and how it turned out.

After our latest flights to and from Europe , I am ABSOLUTELY determined to take a rest between legs next time -- BUT whenever I start to consider the logistics of such a thing, it is not so easy. So far the best thing that I can work out is to fly with Singapore Airlines and take a 2 x6 hour blocks in the transit hotel at the airport. Other possible options with other airlines seem to involve transport outside the airport transit area to hotels in the city somewhere.

Any thoughts please??

Barry

The only experiense i,ve had was from Syd to Dubai to M,chester. Uk. We rested at the hotel in the airport building at Dubai airport for a few hours before the connecting flight. Trouble is its a 14 hr flight on the first leg, then about another 8 to M/C.the other option is to upgrade your seats to premium economy ,if yout tall, to get a better sleep on the plane.

Hi Barry we have flewn Singapore airlines and stayed at the transit hotel its so easy and a very nice room with all the amenities that you would need if you have any questions please feel free to ask, also if that is the way you decide to go I would book the room before you fly as they can get full at times.

Jacquie

The only experiense i,ve had was from Syd to Dubai to M,chester. Uk. We rested at the hotel in the airport building at Dubai airport for a few hours before the connecting flight. Trouble is its a 14 hr flight on the first leg, then about another 8 to M/C.the other option is to upgrade your seats to premium economy ,if yout tall, to get a better sleep on the plane.

Jacquie

Thanks for the confirmation about the Singapore transit hotel

Dave -- do you know the name of the hotel you stayed in? - is it on the actual airport and do you have to go through immigration/customs to get to it??

EDIT -- never mind -- I think I have found it http://www.expedia.com.au/Dubai-Hotels-Dubai-International-Airport-Terminal-Hotel.h1546463.Hotel-Information

Thanks Barry

Jacquie

Thanks for the confirmation about the Singapore transit hotel

Dave -- do you know the name of the hotel you stayed in? - is it on the actual airport and do you have to go through immigration/customs to get to it??

Thanks Barry

The hotel is in the transit lounge, accessible by lift, directly above the shops. No, you don,t go thru customs emigration.Its a top notch hotel. Also at dubai, if your stopover between flights is more than three hours, you can get a free meal from the cafe/restaurant downstairs.I don,t remember the name of hotel.Its the only one there though.

In September we are flying Korean air for the first time. Have several friends who have flown with them very happily. On the way to Europe we get a free overnight at a hotel including breakfast and transfers. The flights are at a respectable time too, arrive approx 6 pm and leave 1pm the next day for Rome. On the way back there is a flight through to Melb so no free stopover but we have elected a stop again. It will be something like 28 hours and I can get a decent hotel for under $100Au.

I have only ever once flown to Europe without a decent stopover and declared as long as I live I will never do it again. Usually I have a 3 or 4 night stopover each way but this time we have a very long trip planned so need to get there as quickly as we comfortably can.

In September we are flying Korean air for the first time. Have several friends who have flown with them very happily. On the way to Europe we get a free overnight at a hotel including breakfast and transfers. The flights are at a respectable time too, arrive approx 6 pm and leave 1pm the next day for Rome. On the way back there is a flight through to Melb so no free stopover but we have elected a stop again. It will be something like 28 hours and I can get a decent hotel for under $100Au.

I have only ever once flown to Europe without a decent stopover and declared as long as I live I will never do it again. Usually I have a 3 or 4 night stopover each way but this time we have a very long trip planned so need to get there as quickly as we comfortably can.

We have flown twice to UK and return with Korean Air. WE have been very happy with them - the only reason we didn't on our latest trip there was because they were not offering any "deals" at the time of booking, but Singapore airlines was. The flight you describe wherein you have an overnight stay at Incheon (we were put in the Hyatt Regency) is very good and probably was our best flight ever to the UK

Barry

You have several options but depends on what your ultimate destination in Europe is ;

1. Fly Singapore Airlines (SIA) from Australia via Singapore, then onto many European destinations. This gives you a Singapore Stopover, recommend Rendezvous Hotel.

2. Cathay Pacific (CX) from Australia via Hong Kong, then onto many European destinations. This gives you stopover in Hong Kong, recommend Eaton Smart Hotel in Kowloon .

3. Thai Airlines from Australia via Bangkok, then onto many European destinations. This gives you stopover in Bangkok . We stay at Grand Residence Hotel near the Airport.

Forget Qantas they only offer one European destination these days in London, with stopover option only in Singapore.

Of the Asian cities we like Hong kong 1st, then Singapore then Bangkok. So our recommendation Hong Kong both ways flying Cathay Pacific .

Hong Kong is great for self exploring heaps to see and do and great shooping for everything . Hong kong after 40 years and some 20 visits we still find the world's most exciting city . Great Airport, great public tarnsport and English widely spoken .

HONG KONG SELF SIGHT-SEEING.

Hong Kong has two parts the Kowloon side (on the Chinese mainland) and Hong Kong Island . The Star Ferry links Kowloon and Central and Wan Chai on HK Island as reliably today as it has done for over 150 years . A splendid MTR rail system also covers both sides and provides under harbour links . In addition a network of double decker buses also provides key tourist services.

Kowloon side - between Ocean Terminal and Nathan Road is the heart of great shopping for everything imaginable including clothes, watches, electronics and jewellery . Avoid the brand name department stores and search out the great deals with the smaller traders . Nearest MTR is Tsim Tsa Tsui.

The Temple Street Night Market operates nightly in Temple St , Jordan on Kowloon side . Nearest MTR is Jordan then a short walk . Temple St runs parallel to Nathan Rd several blocks back towards the harbour .

Hong Kong Island : here one finds Victoria Peak, Ocean Park, Stanley, and Aberdeen . Cross the harbour by Star Ferry and soak in the atmosphere of the world’s most exciting city . Step ashore at Central Star Ferry Piers . You will see a bus interchange on shoreside. Take bus # 15 for Victoria Peak, # 15C for the Lower Peak Tram Station (then Peak Tram) to the Peak , # 629 for Ocean Park Aquarium (at 0935,0955,1015 only Daily); 6, 6X or 260 for the Fishing Village of Stanley and the famous daytime (from 10am) Stanley Market .

Victoria Peak is best visited at sunset for stunning views across the harbour as HK lights up . Nightly harbour light show at 8pm. For stunning views come down from the Peak at night by bus # 15 . The peak bus terminal is under the Galleria Shopping Centre . If you are bound for Kowloon bail out of the bus at Admiralty and take the MTR to Tsim Tsa Tsui or Jordan . If heading back to Ocean Terminal return to Kowloon from Central on the Island by the Star Ferry .

For those wishing to visit the Giant Buddha on Lantau Island here’s how to do that as inexpensive day round trip :

Leaving around 0830 by MTR to TUNG CHUNG, walk out the station cross a large open square and head for the Chairlift ( operates from 1000 to 1800) . At the Chairlift buy the combined daily Chairlift & Lantau Island Bus Pass . Take the breathtaking chairlift which does 2 x 90 degree turns to NGONG PING . Alight walk through the village shops and climb over 300 stairs to the magnificent Buddha . Return to the lower Ngong Ping Shopping area and from the adjacent Bus Terminal take bus # 21 (at 1035, 1120, 1220, 1320) from NGONG PING to the fishing Village of TAI O . Walk slightly inland to discover the real village and a wonderful range of seafood restaurants where you can take in lunch. Walk back to the Shoreside bus terminal and take bus # 1 from TAI O to MUI WO Pier. (40 minute frequency). Then fast ferry from MUI WO (Hourly departures) will have you back at Central on HK Island next to the Star Ferry Central Pier . If you leave Kowloon on the MRT at 0830 , you will be on the chairlift at start up time (1000), and have time to explore Ngong Ping and the Buddha to make the # 21 bus from Ngong Ping at 11.20 to Tai O . After lunch in Tai O you easily make # 1 bus to be in MUI WO to connect with the 1500 fast ferry to Hong Kong island - Central Ferry Piers

You have several options but depends on what your ultimate destination in Europe is ;

There are other options but as you say it's influenced by the destination city. For examples, BA, Lufthansa, KLM and SAS, but there are many others. They will partner with one of the Asian airlines and connect at the relevant hub city e.g. Singapore or Hong Kong.

Archived