Dive Operators in Curacao

cruzbound

We've been diving with Suzy and Mark lots of times, and the cab drivers know where they are located - no problem.

Just got back from there and another amazing set of dives... and can't wait to go back again!

Have an extra Polar for us. ;)

Wendy

Thanks, GC, Laurie S and w&K for your replies! We have finally booked a dive with the Dive Bus.

I am also curious to know if there are beach areas (sandy shores) near the dive bus, and other places where food can be purchased (other than what they have at the dive bus, if any). I am asking because not all of us will be diving.

Sorry, I don't remember the names. I do remember that the Dive Bus recommended the one on the left when facing them from their store. It's more of a casual place than the other. I know I had a basket of seafood and it was very good, but I don't remember exactly what it was. The beer was nice and cold! LOL

• 2 weeks later...

So glad to see this thread. I was looking at The Dive Bus, but now I think I'll look at Curious2Dive too. I like the idea of smaller groups and since it's just me, I'm hoping that they will have a spot available when I arrive. The idea of not getting a refund should we not dock bothers me (and I didn't even see it on The Dive Bus's website).

Any other reviews on the two outfitters?

wanderlust a - on the Dive Bus website under reservations and booking information about 3/4 of the way down the page it talks about their "cancellation" policy and specifically says there is no refund if the ship does not dock and also in a personal email to me they confirmed this and also said their are no refunds due to them cancelling because of weather (they said this is beyond their control - yea, but it is also beyond out control as the customer). I have booked with curious2dive and anytime I emailed Hans, he got back to me within a day. He has great customer service and only takes a max of 4 people. He will also pick us up from the cruise port. We are going to dive the house reef but he will take you to other places (such as Porto Maria, etc.) if your timing allows. We are going in March 2013, I will post a review upon our return.

wanderlust a - I would really appreciate you posting a review of your experience with curious2dive when you return. I was advised by someone on a scuba board to have Hans take us to Director's bay or Tugboat with the adjoining wall (ask him to end the dive under the pier). I don't know if one can go to both (one dive on Director's bay and another on Tugboat) - I have not had an indepth discussion with Hans yet regarding the sites. I know we have made the decision to stay with the house reefs (which these two are part of) - we are not going to Porto Marie. I was told these reefs are a better dive than at Porto Marie - although they say Porto Marie is nice and it definitely is a beautiful beach (in case you have some others with you who are not divers and want to snorkel or beach day it). I was told at these other two options there is not really a "beach" per se, it is more rocky but that does not matter to us because we are diving, not spending the day on the beach. Good luck deciding what spot you are diving at. Looking forward to hearing about your experience. Have a great trip.

• 3 weeks later...
wanderlust a - I would really appreciate you posting a review of your experience with curious2dive when you return. I was advised by someone on a scuba board to have Hans take us to Director's bay or Tugboat with the adjoining wall (ask him to end the dive under the pier). I don't know if one can go to both (one dive on Director's bay and another on Tugboat) - I have not had an indepth discussion with Hans yet regarding the sites. I know we have made the decision to stay with the house reefs (which these two are part of) - we are not going to Porto Marie. I was told these reefs are a better dive than at Porto Marie - although they say Porto Marie is nice and it definitely is a beautiful beach (in case you have some others with you who are not divers and want to snorkel or beach day it). I was told at these other two options there is not really a "beach" per se, it is more rocky but that does not matter to us because we are diving, not spending the day on the beach. Good luck deciding what spot you are diving at. Looking forward to hearing about your experience. Have a great trip.

I'll be sure to check in with a review when I get back. Only a few more weeks to go :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi wanderlust a - are you back from your cruise yet? How was the diving in Curacao and how was curious2dive? We leave in less than 2 months - looking forward to it. Please give a quick post about your experience when you have a minute.

Thanks!

plus you have to carry your stuff across the street! UGH. I don't want to put my equip. on and walk across the street to get wet. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm just here reading for future reference, but this gave me a visual that I thought was funny. Picture the Beetles Abbey Road Album cover, except instead of tux's they have on wetsuits, fins, tanks, and masks.

Maybe I need to start getting more sleep.

Hi wanderlust a - are you back from your cruise yet? How was the diving in Curacao and how was curious2dive? We leave in less than 2 months - looking forward to it. Please give a quick post about your experience when you have a minute.

Thanks!

I, too, am interested in knowing how curious2dive was--as I am planning a trip for next year.

Thanks!

I, too, am interested in knowing how curious2dive was--as I am planning a trip for next year.

I'm back and it was great! I ended up only doing a one-tank dive, instead of the originally planned two-tank dive (I wasn't feeling well to start from sea sickness). We did Tugboat and the wall. I also got to visit the pier as well. Isabel was my guide. It ended up just being the two of us. We were down for just over an hour, which was awesome.

Isabel picked me up from the port, which by the way if you do book with them, you have to go just outside the gates to meet them. Whoever picks you up will either be wearing a white or yellow polo shirt with their logo on it (and writing about diving on the back of the shirt).

It was a short drive to the shop and a short drive to the site. The equipment isn't overly dated and isn't overly new (I've read concerns that there were issues with it somewhere else). Tugboat is a shore dive and it appears to be fairly popular (saw another dive operator nearby - however note that we didn't see them at all during our time in the water). Isabel brought a camera and took photos during our dive, which was really nice because mine was busted. Hans emailed/messaged me a link to the photos via Google+. And, he also dropped me off at the end of the day.

i would highly recommend them. They are friendly, nice and didn't give me any bad vibes. Two thumbs up :D

PS I have plans to go back one day for an extended stay, a real dive trip and hopefully we will get to do some Lionfish BBQing (Hans is licensed to hunt them).

Thanks for posting your review.

Unfortunately we will be stopping at Curacao on New Year's Day and I found out that Curious2Dive and Dive Bus are both closed on that day!

Thanks for posting your review.

Unfortunately we will be stopping at Curacao on New Year's Day and I found out that Curious2Dive and Dive Bus are both closed on that day!

Oh, that's unfortunate. You could find your way to TugBoat and just do snorkelling. I did see a few snorkellers there.

Although many of the small dive operators were taking New Year's Day off, I got Relaxed Guided Divers to take our booking so I am back in business. This outfit is also positively reviewed on TripAdvisor so I feel very lucky.

Hi wanderlust a - thanks so much for the review on curious2dive. I am not concerned about the equipment as we have all our own equipment and always bring it with us. Kind of a germaphobic thing. Looking forward to our trip in a month and a half.

I used curious2dive on my last trip to Curacao. They were great! On time for the pickup and a great dive breifing. They also sent a email a few days later with some great underwater photos of my family no-charge! I would go with them again next time we are there.

I just returned from our Southern Caribbean cruise which sailed on January 26, 2013.

We were late getting into Curacao and Hans from Curious2Dive was there to pick us up. We were afraid he wouldn't wait, but he was still there. The pick-up and drop-off were at no extra charge by the way. He drove us to the dive shop, which was a really cool location to begin with, since it was at a marina with unusal fish hoping to be fed (including barracuda, lobster, and other fish).

He put together our equipment, found wet suits to fit (a feat in itself), showed us a map of the dive and what we would see, and took us to the dive site, which was a shore dive. The shore dive was through rocks, so be sure to wear your boots.

As a ranger of the area, he has a special interest in the local fish, which truly enhances the dive. He also takes handicapped people out, which means he knows how to take good care of his divers and truly cares. He also only takes 4 people to a dive, with a maximum of 6. Again, better personal service.

We saw seahorses, file fish, puffer, morays, and so many more fish, coral, and beautiful sights. We saw an upside down valley, dove under a pier, (definitely worth saving your air for), and even a tugboat.

He took many pictures of us, including through the tugboat, and sent us a copy at no extra charge. Another incredible value!

You will be VERY glad you went with Curious2Dive! He even dropped us at the Iguana Cafe, where we were to meet our friends. FANTASTIC dive!!

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

We just got back from our cruise and used Hans with Curious2Dive and he was FANTASTIC!!! He has already sent us the underwater pictures he took on our dive. On our second dive he brought his lionfish stuff and let my husband try to kill a lionfish - AND my husband got one - which Hans got a picture of. His operation is top-notch. He is ontime when picking us up, he did not rush us at all, he allowed us to dive by air, he pointed out all kinds of things that we would have missed (like baby fish and these things that look like spiders). He is very professional and knowledgeable and is very detailed on the dive briefing. I will recommend him to anyone who wants a great dive experience in Curacao.

cruzbound

Archived