Buying a mattress topper before boarding

CrusinAgain

We are going on a 14 day cruise and the last cruise we took was 13 days and of course the beds were awful to us even with the eggcrate which I always ask for. I have read a few threads where folks buy one before they board the ship. We are staying near a mall in Seattle before boarding for our Alaska cruise and just wanted to know from those who have done this and leave them on the ship, do you just buy the cheap $20 eggcrate toppers and hand carry them on the ship or do you turn it in with the luggage and what do you buy?

There will be a Target and a Bed, Bath and Beyond that we can go to. Is buying the cheap eggcrate toppers any different than using the ships? Since we have to leave them I don't want to spend too much but I don't want to be miserable with a bad back already the entire trip. I even read a thread where someone suggested to buy an air mattress but not sure if that will be cumbersome to carry and can be blown up by the cabin steward. Suggestions and ideas would be appreciative.

I'd see what the bed is like on the ship first before going to all that trouble and expense. I had a wonderful pillowtop mattress on the Star last March and from what I've read, mattresses are being replaced with these.

I'd see what the bed is like on the ship first before going to all that trouble and expense. I had a wonderful pillowtop mattress on the Star last March and from what I've read, mattresses are being replaced with these.

Our beds will be twin configuration. From what I read they did not order twin pillowtops and so far the Sapphire has not changed out any bedding. If we waited I guess the only port we could get a topper is Ketchican where there is a Walmart, but that is a thought. I just don't think the twin beds will be any different than what we have experienced though.

Did you have the twin or the queen configuration?

Our bed on the Ruby was also more comfortable, and we did not request an egg crate. Maybe Princess is finally getting the hint!

Twin or queen configuration? Ours is Sapphire Princess and have not read where they have changed out beds yet.

Twin or queen configuration? Ours is Sapphire Princess and have not read where they have changed out beds yet.

Queen. But my mom and son commented on how comfy there beds were and they had twin beds. :)

I sailed the Sapphire both before and shortly after the refit, in a BA balcony. The mattresses appeared to have been changed, judging by the fact that they didn't have the permanent sag anymore. Unfortunately, they were still the same extra firm style as before.

I have brought my own eggcrate topper from home, compressed in a large PackMate bag. It weighs nothing, so it doesn't add to the luggage weight, but it does take up a lot of room in the suitcase.

What I switched to last year is a great solution for me. I bought a self-inflating camping sleep pad at the sporting goods store, and I pack it in the large outside pocket of my suitcase. It compresses nicely, and folds flat, and weighs less than a pound. It is a single person width and length.

I put this under any other topper I may get on any bed I sleep on anywhere. I use it in hotels, my son's house, and cruise ships. My husband loves to use it on deck loungers, too. We just deflate it, roll it up, and carry it. It inflates by just opening the valve, and takes about 30 seconds once it has been recently inflated. If it's been compressed (for packing), it takes a little longer, but I help by blowing air in it to speed the inflation up.

It adds about another 1+ inch of "cush" to any other padding on the top of the bed, and I ask for an eggcrate also. I like a firm bed with lots of top cush.

This is a pure economic decision Princess has made. Firm mattresses obviously hold up longer than others (not comfortable [but a personal decision]), and people still book cabins, bring their own toppers, or ask for egg crates ... so there is no economic reason for them to change. We are going on our first Princess cruise and I'm glad about learning about their dismal beds before we leave ... we will be bringing our own pillow-topper.

We bought a quality pillowtop/memory foam mattress pad cover for a cruise after experiencing concave mattresses several years ago. We didn't bring it on our next cruise because of the luggage limits. Since then we have not needed it & have requested an eggcrate topper. So now we have a very nice mattress pad cover permanently attached to our spare bedroom's bed. :p

This is a pure economic decision Princess has made. Firm mattresses obviously hold up longer than others (not comfortable [but a personal decision]), and people still book cabins, bring their own toppers, or ask for egg crates ... so there is no economic reason for them to change. We are going on our first Princess cruise and I'm glad about learning about their dismal beds before we leave ... we will be bringing our own pillow-topper.
I much prefer a mattress with firm support as do many people. Besides probably lasting longer, you can make a firm mattress softer but it's a much bigger challenge to make a soft mattress firmer. I've never experienced a "dismal" bed on Princess so perhaps I've been lucky. On the other hand, I've had big problems with HAL and Celebrity mattresses which are much softer. They've all caused a flare-up of sciatica; never had one on Princess.

People have different preferences and needs when it comes to mattress comfort. That's why mattress stores sell so many varieties. One person's dismal could be another person's preference.

I've cruised Princess 10 times. I usually ask for the eggcrate topper and sleep just fine. I think it is really a matter of preference. If you are concerned and have room for a pillow topper in your luggage that might be a good idea.

The last topper I purchased was in January of this year. I ordered it from Walmart online and then had it delivered to our hotel. I let the hotel know I was receiving a package and asked that they hold it for me. I packed a large duffel bag that packed flat to stuff it into and then put a luggage tag on it prior to arriving at the ship.

I just let my steward know that I was not taking it back home. It was cheaper to do this (even with paying for the shipping) than the extra bag on the plane. I slept well and didn't suffer from bad back syndrome. For me, it was worth every penny!

We purchase a topper at "Anna's Linens" (don't know if they are only a California chain) for $29.99. It is folded into about a 12" X 12" square and in a clear package. We used the heavy duty packing tape to make a handle and carried it on - but we didn't have to fly anywhere. We had the steward put it on top of the egg crate - made for a nice comfy bed.

We are going on a 14 day cruise and the last cruise we took was 13 days and of course the beds were awful to us even with the eggcrate which I always ask for. I have read a few threads where folks buy one before they board the ship. We are staying near a mall in Seattle before boarding for our Alaska cruise and just wanted to know from those who have done this and leave them on the ship, do you just buy the cheap $20 eggcrate toppers and hand carry them on the ship or do you turn it in with the luggage and what do you buy?

There will be a Target and a Bed, Bath and Beyond that we can go to. Is buying the cheap eggcrate toppers any different than using the ships? Since we have to leave them I don't want to spend too much but I don't want to be miserable with a bad back already the entire trip. I even read a thread where someone suggested to buy an air mattress but not sure if that will be cumbersome to carry and can be blown up by the cabin steward. Suggestions and ideas would be appreciative.

We did this for our Alaska trip. We bought an egg crate at Target and it was about $25. We put it on ourselves and just left it. We felt the $25 was well worth it to ensure a goods night sleep! :)

the toting on of mattress topper just wouldn't work for someone like myself who hates that chemical smell that all the foam seems to be treated with these days. it can take days, if not months to air out that awful odor, not to mention, if you're in a tiny inside cabin there is no way to ventilate. yes, Princess mattresses are extra firm sometimes, and yes, sometimes I love them, sometimes not, but my rememdy now is to pop a few motrins before going to bed and that will dull the pain a little. if you have a mini suite you could always sleep on the couch. the cushions are softer than the mattess. lol

Thanks everyone for all the ideas. I kept looking at the forum on my phone today while at the stores to see new ideas. I saw the eggcrates, the memory foams, the air toppers, but didn't see the self inflating sleeping bag. I saw that Walmart has the eggcrate for ten bucks and the memory foam 1.5 inches for 25 bucks, alot cheaper than the rest of the stores, so since this is a rare occasion that there will actually be a Walmart at our first port stop, we are going to see how the beds are (we did order eggcrates and it is on our personalizer) and then if not to our liking, we will buy the topper at Walmart in Ketchican. Thank goodness if the beds are bad, it will only be 2 nights.

It isn't due to the fact that the beds are firm, it just seems like I always get a sagging mattress, perhaps because we are always in the twin configuration. Stewards have done all they can and flip them and put bedding under the sag and sometimes it helps but waking up with more pain than normal in your back while on a cruise just shouldn't happen.

I do hope with all the complaints that Princess has listened and are getting those pillowtops on there.

Again, thanks so much for everyone chiming in. It really helped making our decision.

Thanks everyone for all the ideas. I kept looking at the forum on my phone today while at the stores to see new ideas. I saw the eggcrates, the memory foams, the air toppers, but didn't see the self inflating sleeping bag. I saw that Walmart has the eggcrate for ten bucks and the memory foam 1.5 inches for 25 bucks, alot cheaper than the rest of the stores, so since this is a rare occasion that there will actually be a Walmart at our first port stop, we are going to see how the beds are (we did order eggcrates and it is on our personalizer) and then if not to our liking, we will buy the topper at Walmart in Ketchican. Thank goodness if the beds are bad, it will only be 2 nights.

It isn't due to the fact that the beds are firm, it just seems like I always get a sagging mattress, perhaps because we are always in the twin configuration. Stewards have done all they can and flip them and put bedding under the sag and sometimes it helps but waking up with more pain than normal in your back while on a cruise just shouldn't happen.

I do hope with all the complaints that Princess has listened and are getting those pillowtops on there.

Again, thanks so much for everyone chiming in. It really helped making our decision.

Not all Walmarts are equal, you may want to check and make sure the Ketchikan store has the product in stock.

Good idea. I guess I would have to call them?

Maybe you can purchase one online to be delivered to the Ketchikan store. Then, either pick it up, or "return" it depending whether you need it or not.

Maybe you can purchase one online to be delivered to the Ketchikan store. Then, either pick it up, or "return" it depending whether you need it or not.

That's a great idea. We were going to drop by the store anyway since you pick up a bus from there. Thanks!:)

I saw that Walmart has the eggcrate for ten bucks and the memory foam 1.5 inches for 25 bucks, alot cheaper than the rest of the stores, so since this is a rare occasion that there will actually be a Walmart at our first port stop, we are going to see how the beds are (we did order eggcrates and it is on our personalizer) and then if not to our liking, we will buy the topper at Walmart in Ketchican. Thank goodness if the beds are bad, it will only be 2 nights.

Do you mean your cruise personalizer? Is it possible to add them to it? That would be great if it was.

Archived