Formal dress on visiting US ships??

Having cruised on only Aussie and Brit ships, I am wondering what people will wear on these US ships when they are in Australian waters. I have noted that most of the CC roll call for our upcoming Voyager cruise in January is mostly people from the US/Canada/Britain, but I guess there will be lots of Aussies too.

Most men on the Brit ships we have been on wear a Tux - with a smaller number wearing suits. The men on the Aussie ships we have been on, when they hear the word "formal" say : " I don't understand that word - how do you spell it again??"

Thoughts??

Barry

My DH wears a Tux, as do a lot of the men. My DH has an assortment of coloured tux shirts and bowties so mixes and matches them, just like I do with my formal clothes.

Take your tux Barry if you want.... you won't be alone and dressing up is good occasionally..... shows aussies can be classy too!:D

Having cruised on only Aussie and Brit ships, I am wondering what people will wear on these US ships when they are in Australian waters. I have noted that most of the CC roll call for our upcoming Voyager cruise in January is mostly people from the US/Canada/Britain, but I guess there will be lots of Aussies too.

Most men on the Brit ships we have been on wear a Tux - with a smaller number wearing suits. The men on the Aussie ships we have been on, when they hear the word "formal" say : " I don't understand that word - how do you spell it again??"

Thoughts??

Barry

Hi barry,

I have sailed on RCI ships a few times.I take a Tux ..only because it packs better and doesn,t crease as much as my lounge suit.You will find its a mixture of suits ,TUx or even collared shirts and slacks.Its much like our ships neat,clean and tidy does it.

Col:)

I think you will find there will be a little bit of everything.

Americans cruising down here have to pay a lot to fly down , (as we have to ,to fly up), so there wont be the 7 day party ,party crowd.

I have seen all sorts, from middle age gents who tie their long hair into a pony tail, and for formal night use a black ribbon to hold it in place.......Yeah I am in formal...I'm wearing a black polo shirt...... to the full Tux and Dinner Suit regalia and also several full military outfits with all the medals and ribbons.

Take your tux Barry if you want.... you won't be alone and dressing up is good occasionally..... shows aussies can be classy too!:D

You have talked me into it . In fact, I'll take TWO!! :eek: I have yet to wear my white Dinner Jacket . Only for wear in warm weather, you understand? -- and it wasn't warm in the Baltic!! :o

Barry

I donated my tuxedo to the Sallies in Lincolnshire UK, following my Arcadia trip, Syd-Sou. So I left my Tux in Lincolnshire and my heart in San Francisco.

Far too many formal nights on P&O UK. I estimate on Arcadia, formal nights 95% wore tuxedo, but thats the Brits for you, a bit starchy. One of the reasons I would not cruise with them again, nor would I go with Cunard for the same reason. I have a nice lightweight grey suit, good enough for the weekly formal night on Princess ships if I choose to attend.

I am not really into this formal stuff. Each to their own.

Crikey Barry Bazzaw, you must be 'tuxed out.'

You have talked me into it . In fact, I'll take TWO!! :eek: I have yet to wear my white Dinner Jacket . Only for wear in warm weather, you understand? -- and it wasn't warm in the Baltic!! :o

Barry

Oooooh lovely Barry! I think those white jackets look wonderful! Hmmm l might have to look at one for my DH! It would look lovely with his pink tuxedo shirt and white bowtie!

Oooooh lovely Barry! I think those white jackets look wonderful! Hmmm l might have to look at one for my DH! It would look lovely with his pink tuxedo shirt and white bowtie!

Got mine online here

More specifically' date=' this one

Ex-rental, immaculate condition - jacket and trousers $99

Barry

... and if you 're undecided between black or white .....

23bw.jpg:D:D

David

Don't be ridiculous!! You know that you have to wear a tie on formal night!!!:rolleyes:

Barry

I donated my tuxedo to the Sallies in Lincolnshire UK, following my Arcadia trip, Syd-Sou. So I left my Tux in Lincolnshire and my heart in San Francisco.

Far too many formal nights on P&O UK. I estimate on Arcadia, formal nights 95% wore tuxedo, but thats the Brits for you, a bit starchy. One of the reasons I would not cruise with them again, nor would I go with Cunard for the same reason. I have a nice lightweight grey suit, good enough for the weekly formal night on Princess ships if I choose to attend.

I am not really into this formal stuff. Each to their own.

Crikey Barry Bazzaw, you must be 'tuxed out.'

We had friends that sailed on the Arcadia with you, and they said very much the same ship was good,( although they would not sail P&O UK or Aust again) staff great, but the passengers that were already onboard when the ship got to Sydney acted like they owned the ship, they said they met some nice people but so many were in their words 'horrible' and this couple are quite friendly and outgoing, they also said too many formals, ended up in the buffet for a few of them. Robin

We had friends that sailed on the Arcadia with you, and they said very much the same ship was good,( although they would not sail P&O UK or Aust again) staff great, but the passengers that were already onboard when the ship got to Sydney acted like they owned the ship, they said they met some nice people but so many were in their words 'horrible' and this couple are quite friendly and outgoing, they also said too many formals, ended up in the buffet for a few of them. Robin

I agree with your friends comment 100%. Staff were great, good ship, but many of the British pax doing the whole WC thought they did own the ship and were not happy with the 2 for 1 deals we got. Many had paid £15,000 for the whole cruise. Plus jacket and tie nights when not a formal, all a little much when you are sailing through Asia and Africa. Plus the Arcadia virus !

Still it was an experience sailing on a British ship.

many of the British pax ....... were not happy with the 2 for 1 deals we got. Many had paid £15,000 for the whole cruise.

Hmmm - how would they have known about that ? --- unlesss......

Barry

Hmmm - how would they have known about that ? --- unlesss......

Barry

Hi Barry, some loud mouthed Aussies on board told them..there were 300 Aussies on board, Syd-Sou, (Not me, I plead Not Guilty your Worship Bazza.)

I didn't bring a suit with me, haven't owned a tux for years. Hoping that one of the groups will think nice slacks and a dress shirt is formal, else we may be eating in the buffet those nights!

Which line and ship are you on mate? Then we can give you the good oil on what to wear for a feed.

Which line and ship are you on mate? Then we can give you the good oil on what to wear for a feed.

Royal Caribbean, Rhapsody of the Seas. Was on Freedom of the Seas last year (Caribbean cruise)...formal night actually meant formal. Shirt and tie would have looked out of place, you really needed a suit/tux.

With the charges for luggage on airlines, many U.S. cruisers seem to have given up on truly "formal" attire. On our last several cruises most men wore suits or blazers and ties for formal night and the women wore after five attire, although some still held tight to the tux and formal look.

Blazer, shirt and tie or sports jacket acceptable. Above all, ENJOY !

With the charges for luggage on airlines, many U.S. cruisers seem to have given up on truly "formal" attire. On our last several cruises most men wore suits or blazers and ties for formal night and the women wore after five attire, although some still held tight to the tux and formal look.

Most acceptable standard of attire, nice blazer, shirt and tie or 'after 5 for ladies.' Way to go. Sensible too with airline weight restrictions, you can 'mix and match' with that type of gear.

Thoughts??

Barry

My DH and my my two 20 something sons took suits on our first RCL cruise to the South Pacific.

Next cruise to FNQ they just took smart pants, LS shirt and tie....less to pack, and were not out of place.

DH did the same this year on our Voyager OTS cruise from Dubai to Singapore.

There were tux's, suits and smart pants, LS shirts and ties in the dining room.

Unless you wear something absolutely stunning like a kilt or atrocious like shorts and a t-shirt you and your partner will be the only one who really cares what you are wearing. I couldn't tell you what anyone else at our tables were wearing on formal night.....

Robyn

Archived