Catania - anything to do there?

karenbeanpole

Is there anything to do in Catania itself? Wondering whether to just mooch around the town or do a trip to Etna/Taormia, or whether to hire a scooter and see a bit more - is that dangerous? Don't really want to get to Catania and find that there's nothing to do there and I have nothing booked

We used Frommers walking tour of Catania. We didn't stop at all the places on the tour but picked the things we most wanted to see. At the port they were giving out very nice maps of town. We really enjoyed walking around seeing churches and Roman ruins mixed in with apartment buildings.

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/catania/3216010008.html

Is there anything to do in Catania itself? Wondering whether to just mooch around the town or do a trip to Etna/Taormia, or whether to hire a scooter and see a bit more - is that dangerous? Don't really want to get to Catania and find that there's nothing to do there and I have nothing booked

Please please please take a tour to Taormina and nearby Castelmona. It's such an amazing day. We toured with Romeinlimo and just a fantastic time from Catania. (get the best cannoli at the end of the day too) Here are a couple of photos...

DSC03297.jpg

DSC03317.jpg

I'm just imagining beautiful villages in Sicily being crowded out when a cruise ship with thousands arrive and it just isn't the same! Also all the private tours I've been trying to book onto are full, leaving the option of going with the cruise ship tour only, or just doing it on our own. Would love to see some villages or get to Etna.

I'm just imagining beautiful villages in Sicily being crowded out when a cruise ship with thousands arrive and it just isn't the same! Also all the private tours I've been trying to book onto are full, leaving the option of going with the cruise ship tour only, or just doing it on our own. Would love to see some villages or get to Etna.

Taormina does become extremely crowded during the day when several cruise ships are either in port in Messina, Catania or Giardini Naxos. Also add to this mix all the private tour companies running tours through Taormina.

As I see your options, you can take the ship's tour and use it just as your transportation to Taormina, speak to the tour leader about the amount of time allotted and departure meeting place then strike off on your own; find a taxi at the port in Catania and arrange a tour/price with him (that's why they wait there); take some sort of public transportation to the Catania airport to pick up a rental car; or take public transportation to Taormina. Most of these options will eat up valuable time in getting there and back. If you take the train to Taormina you still must take a taxi or bus up to the town itself.

If your desire is to visit some smaller towns outside of Catania (or Mt. Etna) and/or Taormina you will need a car or a private driver. Again, public transportation will take up too much time.

Archived