Acts of Kindness witnessed

jdvmd

Saw this thread over on the Carnival board and it has a lot of "feel good" kinds of stories.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1676524

Let's see what we can come up with.

Our cabin steward once brought my son sliced green apples, crackers and ginger ale (no charge) when we were on the Sun. He was very sea sick.

Once my poor mother got sick on the Jewel. She went to buy some Vick's which she swears by. They didn't sell it. But another pax heard her adk and offered her the one she'd packed. My mom ended up seeing the ship and hotel doctors and had bronchiris. She spent several days confined with her Vick's. Sad thing is she was fine till we were seated with strangers at dinner and a chap was sick and sneezed a gooey wet one and touched the bread basket and passed it to mom. Funny, his name rhymed with Vick.

For me the acts of kindness came from CC members. We took a repo cruise on the Dawn and I became very ill on the cruise. I had to include that in my VERY long review I wrote and I got so many well wishes from CC members here on the blogs, via email, facebook, etc. It really encouraged me through a very tough time of my life. I still remember that very well. Always will.

I know it was their job, and it was on another line, but when we went on a disney cruise one of the kids in our group loved broccoli and another loved bacon. After learning about this the first night, our wonderful server (who followed us from restaurant to restaurant in a rotation) would bring out a huge plate of bacon and a huge plate of broccoli to the table each night, regardless of what was on the menu. It was a wonderful gesture. I often wonder what all she had to go through to get the kitchen to make that each night for her/us in the middle of everything else they were trying to do.

and it was on another line, but when we went on a disney cruise one of the kids in our group loved broccoli and another loved bacon.

Well, ten years ago ours was on our Disney cruise as well.

After disembarkation, we were sitting on the bus back to the airport just waiting for it to leave the pier when I heard the cry BABY! ... our daughter's stuffed towel doll she had since she was born. It travelled with her everywhere (she's 15 now, and it's still with us - doesn't leave the house anymore though). Apparently baby was not with us. So, we all get off the bus, I go back into the terminal and get in line with other folks - apparently we weren't the only ones forgetting stuff on the ship.

Fifteen minutes later, a wonderful crewmember comes out with the pink towel doll saving the day.

Howard

Well, ten years ago ours was on our Disney cruise as well.

After disembarkation, we were sitting on the bus back to the airport just waiting for it to leave the pier when I heard the cry BABY! ... our daughter's stuffed towel doll she had since she was born. It travelled with her everywhere (she's 15 now, and it's still with us - doesn't leave the house anymore though). Apparently baby was not with us. So, we all get off the bus, I go back into the terminal and get in line with other folks - apparently we weren't the only ones forgetting stuff on the ship.

Fifteen minutes later, a wonderful crewmember comes out with the pink towel doll saving the day.

Howard

How cute is that! My daughter has a similar "Baby" too!

Last November on the Jewel, my 11 yr old wanted to buy me a piece of jewelry for Christmas. Naturally, I wasnt letting him, but he kept looking anyway. He even tried to win me some in a raffle at one of the stores in the Bahamas. He was talking to the port shopping consultant (?) and telling her that he was trying to win it for me and how I wouldnt let him buy me anything and she told him to come see her later that evening after we sailed. She gave him a chunky jade bracelet and a jade heart pendant in a green suede pouch to give me for Christmas. He was SO excited and happy. I wouldnt be surprised if he seeks her out this December to thank her again. :)

Last November on the Jewel, my 11 yr old wanted to buy me a piece of jewelry for Christmas. Naturally, I wasnt letting him, but he kept looking anyway. He even tried to win me some in a raffle at one of the stores in the Bahamas. He was talking to the port shopping consultant (?) and telling her that he was trying to win it for me and how I wouldnt let him buy me anything and she told him to come see her later that evening after we sailed. She gave him a chunky jade bracelet and a jade heart pendant in a green suede pouch to give me for Christmas. He was SO excited and happy. I wouldnt be surprised if he seeks her out this December to thank her again. :)

WOW that made me tear up, how nice is that?!!

NCL Dawn: November 2011:

Speaking of acts of kindness; we watched this young man racing toward two empty deck chairs while an elderly couple were slowly making their way to the same chairs. At first we thought, how rude, until we realised that young man was running past them to save the chairs FOR that elderly couple. We had to ask... "was that your grandson"? No, they said, we never met him before, he's just another passenger, we never met him before. He waited for us by the chairs, smiled and said "there you go" and off he went.

I was on the Epic over Thanksgiving week in 2010. On Tuesday (St. Maartens) I woke up not feeling very well (summer cold/flu symptoms). I powered through the day, but when I woke up on Wednesday (St. Thomas), I knew I was done for a bit. I stayed in the cabin and slept while my mom when on our planned excursion.

We had not packed any cold/flu medications (lesson learned there) but on the excursion, my mom met some nice people who had cruised numerous times and always packed their OTC meds. They offered them to my mom for me, so we didn't have to spend a gazillion dollars onboard. Thanks to them I had cough drops for my sore throat and OTC meds like Nyquil and Dayquil. That helped me get back on my feet by Thursday afternoon. It was very nice of them to help a stranger out like that.

On that same cruise, and on the same St. Thomas excursion, my mom broke her glasses. A couple of guys spent quite a bit of time and ingenuity trying to fix them, or at least make them workable again. It wasn't a complete success, but I know my mom really appreciated them taking the time to help her.

A few years ago we were on another line and had my 85 year old mother with us. We were at the buffet one morning and got our breakfast and found a table. About 5 minutes later my mother arrives with a lovely 50something man following her carrying her tray. She CLEARLY thought he was a crew member even though he was dressed in flip flops and shorts. She thanked him, asked him to get her an orange juice and sat down. We were speechless!!!!!!!! Just mortified. He quickly gave us a wink and ran off and got her a juice. My husband tried without success all week to buy this man a drink or two to thank him. When we caught up to him later he said it was his pleasure and he just didn't want my mom to feel bad that she thought he was an employee. He was a total gentleman.

A few years ago we were on another line and had my 85 year old mother with us. We were at the buffet one morning and got our breakfast and found a table. About 5 minutes later my mother arrives with a lovely 50something man following her carrying her tray. She CLEARLY thought he was a crew member even though he was dressed in flip flops and shorts. She thanked him, asked him to get her an orange juice and sat down. We were speechless!!!!!!!! Just mortified. He quickly gave us a wink and ran off and got her a juice. My husband tried without success all week to buy this man a drink or two to thank him. When we caught up to him later he said it was his pleasure and he just didn't want my mom to feel bad that she thought he was an employee. He was a total gentleman.

Goodness always seems to reveal itself. The superb memories in this thread are real gems !

Nice to read the stories here. We see these kinds of acts of kindness on every NCL cruise we've taken. Both from passengers and from crew. There are good people out there. Unfortunately sometimes it seems like the selfish, rude people outnumber the good people.

On a recent cruise, my mom was walking in the buffet with a plate of food, and inadvertently dropped her toast. She didn't realize it until one of the staff brought her a new piece of toast, as he had seen her drop it. We were amazed!

Way back when, NCL use to have set dinning our evening waiter was nice but not memorable. However, we ended up going to lunch on open seating one day and got seated with an amazing guy from Jamaica. We fell I love with him and would try to find him when ever we would eat open seating. And amazingly, he would look out for us. I was amazed when we were sitting in the airport in Vancover, and the Jamacian waiter comes over to say hello and goodbye to us. He was such a sweet and funny guy, who we felt lucky to meet and whe went out of his way to talk to us after he was done with his NCL contract and on his way home. I still smile when I think of what a great person he was. We never saw him again, even though he said he was renewing his contract with NCL.

WOW.. talk about making my eyes tear up.. What a sweet thoughtful Son you have.

LOVE the guy.. how great of him was that.

In June 2011, my Wife, my parents; Father 76 & Mother 74; and a friend were on the Epic from Barcelona. On the Rome day my Father woke under the weather and did not make it to breakfast.

When we ported he said he was going to stay on the ship. As we were leaving I advised the room steward; Ms Sherry; that he was staying on the ship. On the return to ship my Father told me that Sherry check on him, additionally she return to the room soup and a sandwich.

I advised as many member of ships management of this act of kindness.

I've been thinking about what to post here, but I've run into so many pleasant people that have done so many nice things it's hard to just mention one but here goes...

On the Star in May my husband and I got a bit of a late start to dinner if we wanted to make the 7:30 show. We wound up going to the 2nd main dining room (can't remember the name). We realized that we probably wouldn't have time to order and eat all the courses and I guess that showed on our face, we ordered only a main course. Our server looked at us and said something to the effect of if that was really all we wanted that was fine, but if we were trying to get some place he'd speed things up not to worry just order as we liked. I still skipped the appetizer (wasn't super hungry) but ordered a main dish.

When I tell you that it seemed as if he turned around in about 1 minute flat and had our dinner I'm not even kidding. It had to be longer than a minute, but to say that it was no more than 3 is no exaggeration. I just stared at him for a few seconds when we put my plate on the table, because I thought "well this can't be mine, I just ordered".

We made me smile even more is his smile when he saw how happy & surprised we were!

It was a really nice experience, from him being very attune to what we were thinking despite not saying anything to him truly going out of his way so that we could have our meal. He insisted that we order desert too!

We've had quick meals before when we mentioned to the server that we would like to get somewhere, but never like that.

A memory that makes me smile. :)

On our first cruise, I walked by the library and saw 2 of my sons playing chess with an elderly British man. They were 9 and 11. I am not sure who was enjoying themselves more. The new strategy learned by the 11 year old enabled him to beat his 6 th grade grumpy math teacher later that year. I enjoyed that! Ha!

Nice to read the stories here. We see these kinds of acts of kindness on every NCL cruise we've taken. Both from passengers and from crew. There are good people out there. Unfortunately sometimes it seems like the selfish, rude people outnumber the good people.

Awesome stories... I hope more people post. I don't think the selfish, rude people outnumber the good. I think they just get most of the attention.

A few years ago, through an incredible comedy of errors, my family and I missed the first night on our ship, but were able to board the following morning as the ship had overnighted at the port. We still don't know who to thank for this, but some kind soul somewhere felt for us, and we were all (two cabins) mysteriously upgraded from inside cabins to balconies! Thank you NCL!

Archived