Civitevecchia DIY to Rome - Comments, suggestions, etc?

SSAA33

You mentioned the taxi stand at Chiesa Nuova -- would this be the closest area for a taxi stand near Piazza Navona? We too think we might walk to St. Peter's from Piazza Navona, but feel we may need a taxi option in case we get weary or running short on time

The #40 is an express bus so the closest stop is a little further down Corso Emanuelle II, at Chiesa Nuova. There's also a taxi stand at Chiesa Nuova if you decide you'd rather go that way. This stop is a third of a mile from the southern end of Piazza Navona.

Thank you, EC!!

Is the taxi stand closer to Piazza Navonna a than the bus stop or are they at the same spot? What I like about the bus is where it drops us off so we can still see Castel Sant'Angelo. But I suppose we can ask the taxi to drop us off at the same spot?

You mentioned the taxi stand at Chiesa Nuova -- would this be the closest area for a taxi stand near Piazza Navona? We too think we might walk to St. Peter's from Piazza Navona, but feel we may need a taxi option in case we get weary or running short on time

No, the closest taxi stand to Piazza Navona is just past the northern end, on Via di Sant'Agosino (near the intersection of Corso del Rinascimento).

Thank you, EC!!

Is the taxi stand closer to Piazza Navonna a than the bus stop or are they at the same spot? What I like about the bus is where it drops us off so we can still see Castel Sant'Angelo. But I suppose we can ask the taxi to drop us off at the same spot?

You'll come to the taxi stand first, a couple of hundred feet before the bus stop (if you were facing the church the taxi stand would be on the right side and the bus stop on the left).

You could take a taxi, but it's only a half mile from the taxi stand to Piazza Pia (the bus stop alongside Castel Sant'Angelo).

In fact, once you're at Chiesa Nuovo, if you can talk yourself into it, the walk to Castel Sant'Angelo is less than half a mile (fourth tenths, to be precise) and you could have the pleasure of approaching the Castel across the Ponte Sant'Angelo (a pedestrian bridge).

If you make a google map you'll see how easy this is (start at Piazza della Chiesa Nuova, turn right onto Via del Banco di Santo Spirito, cross the Ponte Sant'Angelo and you're there).

By the way, if you are thinking you might want to walk, don't go down to Corso Vittorio Emanuelle II, where you'd go for the bus. There's a much prettier and more pleasant walk to the Castel bridge along Via del Governo Vecchio. This is a very historical street and it's a lovely walk from the southwestern corner of Piazza Navona. It's a narrow street with tall buidlings (well, tall for buildings built in the 15th and 16th century) so you can avoid the sun along this route. From Piazza Navona to Castel Sant'Angelo this way is one half mile.

You can see a picture of Via del Governo Vecchio and read a little about it here: http://www.turismoroma.it/cosa-fare/le-vie-dello-shopping-originale?lang=en

Thanks, EC! The walk sounds perfect. We will go with that option and resort to a taxi (from the northern end of P.N. you mentioned) only if we absolutely need to. Sounds like going down Corso Emanuelle II for the bus isn't really worth it for only saving half a mile of walking.

I will put together a map & walking directions on Google and make sure it follows the route you recommended. The afternoon sun was a concern so thanks for the Via del Governo Vecchio tip!

Shoesonfire - When will you be in Rome? Tell us about your DIY experience when you return. We'll do the same :)

Thanks, EC! The walk sounds perfect. We will go with that option and resort to a taxi (from the northern end of P.N. you mentioned) only if we absolutely need to. Sounds like going down Corso Emanuelle II for the bus isn't really worth it for only saving half a mile of walking.

I will put together a map & walking directions on Google and make sure it follows the route you recommended. The afternoon sun was a concern so thanks for the Via del Governo Vecchio tip!

Shoesonfire - When will you be in Rome? Tell us about your DIY experience when you return. We'll do the same :)

Hi SSAA33, we will be in Rome on Oct. 10 on Azamara Quest. Our ship doesn't leave port until 11:58 p.m., so we felt we could do Rome on our own. My DH and I have been to Rome twice, but lst time for friends traveling with us. We have 1:30 Scavi Tour at St. Peter's. Since it's a Wed. and St. Peter's is closed in the a.m. for Papal audience, we are going to take an early train into Termini, metro to Piazza Barberini and walk to Trevi, continue walk to Pantheon, then to Piazza Navona. I asked about the taxi's at P.N. because I'm afraid we may run out of time and need to be at St. Peter's early enough to get through security and obtain our tickets by 1:15. Hope to spend time in the Basilica and perhaps a quick run through the Vatican Museum to see the Sistine Chapel, end up having dinner close by in Piazza del Risorgimento before taking the train back to port from San Pietro. Hope it works out as easily as it looks on paper for our walking directions. Wishing you a good Roma visit too and look forward to reading about your experience as well.

Hi SSAA33, we will be in Rome on Oct. 10 on Azamara Quest. Our ship doesn't leave port until 11:58 p.m., so we felt we could do Rome on our own. My DH and I have been to Rome twice, but lst time for friends traveling with us. We have 1:30 Scavi Tour at St. Peter's. Since it's a Wed. and St. Peter's is closed in the a.m. for Papal audience, we are going to take an early train into Termini, metro to Piazza Barberini and walk to Trevi, continue walk to Pantheon, then to Piazza Navona. I asked about the taxi's at P.N. because I'm afraid we may run out of time and need to be at St. Peter's early enough to get through security and obtain our tickets by 1:15. Hope to spend time in the Basilica and perhaps a quick run through the Vatican Museum to see the Sistine Chapel, end up having dinner close by in Piazza del Risorgimento before taking the train back to port from San Pietro. Hope it works out as easily as it looks on paper for our walking directions. Wishing you a good Roma visit too and look forward to reading about your experience as well.

That's great that you'll have until later at night! I would love to see some of the Rome sights after dark. Hopefully this first trip to Italy will give us a nice 'over view' and we can spend more time whenever we come back.

The scavi tour sounds very interesting! Is that the one you request through email?

We will be going in Sept (on Ruby Princess). I will definitely come back and share how it went. Really hope everything goes smoothly!

Good luck with the rest of your planning!

That's great that you'll have until later at night! I would love to see some of the Rome sights after dark. Hopefully this first trip to Italy will give us a nice 'over view' and we can spend more time whenever we come back.

The scavi tour sounds very interesting! Is that the one you request through email?

We will be going in Sept (on Ruby Princess). I will definitely come back and share how it went. Really hope everything goes smoothly!

Good luck with the rest of your planning!

Yes you can contact them via email uff.scavi@fabricsp.va

, and they respond quickly with instructions how to proceed once they advise you of a tour time, the tours are limited to 12 adults, it is something of a pilgrimage to visit the tomb & last remains of St. Peter. Will look forward to your comments about your day in Rome. Have a safe trip.

Thanks, SOF!

Would anyone be able to advise a "quick route" for the Roman Forum? I tried searching for tips on seeing the forum quickly but didn't find anything.

We really don't want to miss going into the Forum altogether but we don't want to spend too much time there.

Is it possible to enter close to where we exit the Colosseum and then maybe walk through and exit near the Circo Massimo metro station?

What are the main must-see sights in the Roman Forum?

Based on the Rick Steve's map, I'm thinking we can go:

Colosseum --> Arch of Constantine --> Palatine Hill --> walk down Via Sacra --> Forum Square -->Capitol Hill or Piazza Venezia -- not sure what the closest metro stop would be at this point?

Planning on allowing about 45 mins for a quick walk through the Forum unless we the Colosseum ends up taking more of the morning. Is this feasible??

You can certainly walk through the Forum in 45 minutes, but I wouldn't attempt Palatine Hill, leave that for another trip.

Although this may have changed, as things do, the opening nearest the Colosseum was only an exit the last time I checked. If this is the case, the most time efficient way to see the Forum would be to walk down Via dei Fori Imperiali to the main entrance (near the base of Via Cavour). Entering here will require a little backtracking to see the eastern end of the Forum (the Arch of Titus, Temple of Venus and Rome, Basilica of Constantime and Maxentius) but it a lot faster and shorter than climbing up Palatine Hill and back down again (which actually still requires some backtracking, as the entrance to the Forum from Palatine is in the western half of the forum as well, on the south side).

Where are you going after the Forum? The metro probably won't be much help at this point, especially if your next stop if Trevi Fountain.

You can certainly walk through the Forum in 45 minutes, but I wouldn't attempt Palatine Hill, leave that for another trip.

Although this may have changed, as things do, the opening nearest the Colosseum was only an exit the last time I checked. If this is the case, the most time efficient way to see the Forum would be to walk down Via dei Fori Imperiali to the main entrance (near the base of Via Cavour). Entering here will require a little backtracking to see the eastern end of the Forum (the Arch of Titus, Temple of Venus and Rome, Basilica of Constantime and Maxentius) but it a lot faster and shorter than climbing up Palatine Hill and back down again (which actually still requires some backtracking, as the entrance to the Forum from Palatine is in the western half of the forum as well, on the south side).

Where are you going after the Forum? The metro probably won't be much help at this point, especially if your next stop if Trevi Fountain.

Thank you, EC!

If there is no way to enter near the Colosseum, I will follow the route you described.

Thank you for the tip about not climbing Palatine Hill. I wasn't sure how long that would take. What about Capitol Hill/Piazza Venezia? Is this something we can see quickly?

We actually wanted to take the metro to the Spanish Steps and then walk to Trevi from there.

When you enter the Roman Forman by the main entrance there might be a long line. If you already have your Coleseum ticket just walk past the line to the entrance. I believe you can exit at Capitol Hill where you have a great view of the forum. It is really worth it to go up there. You can take the back stairway from Capitol Hill to the back entrance to the Victor Emmanuel Monument if it is open. Then walk down the front staircase for some more spectacular views. From there it is not far to the Trevi Fountian. FYI there is a WC in the Victor Emmanuel Monument.

Exiting to the Capitoline Hill is an excellent suggestion, first you have a beautiful view of the entire forum from above, then you have the beauty of Michelangelo's Piazza del Campidoglio and Cordonata.

Although the metro seems easier, from here you really need to take a bus to the Spanish Steps. The metro would require you to backtrack about a half mile, then switch lines at Termini, both of which would eat up precious time.

If you leave Campidoglio by walking down the Cordonata it's easy to get to the stop for the #119 bus (which is covered by your BIRG ticket). At the base of the Cordonata (the steep steps to Santa Maria in Aracoeli will be on your right) cross the street (zebra stripes in the street) then turn right for a couple of steps, then turn left onto Piazza d'Aracoeli. After a few steps the road will fork, stay to the right and you'll see a line of bus stop signs on Via di San Venanzio. Find the sign for the #119 and wait for it there. In the middle of the day the buses run about every 15 minutes. (You can easily make a google map of this, as well as see it on street view. Use these coordinates as your starting point 41.893702,12.481955 because google doesn't recognize the cordonata as something you can walk along, and Via di San Venanzio, Rome, Italy as your end point, then click waking directions. From the Cordonata to the bus stop is less than 500 feet.)

Take the #119 for seven stops to Spagna (the stop you'll get on at is called Ara Coeli/Piazza Venezia). You can see the bus route and stops here: http://trovalinea.atac.roma.it/zoom_in.asp?VediSemafori=off&VediMeb=off&VediParcometri=off&VediFermate=off&VediLinee=off&VediRivendite=off&percorso=119AT1&idmtram=53600&xmax=2311843&ymax=4643407&xmin=2310223&ymin=4640681&tipologia=CIR&linea=119&circo=SI

Take away food in Rome is usually good. I hope an amazing open face shrimp sandwich from a take away place near the Spanish Steps. Don't do granola bars-grab some really good food and eat and walk.

OMG! Take away food? Granola bars? My goodness, you are Italy which is somewhat well known for great food (last time I looked there are Italian restaurants all over the world). Yes, we know some folks just want to run from place to place without stopping for food, wine, beer, smelling the Roses, etc. But DW and I cannot imagine going to Rome (and we have been there many times) without having a nice lunch (or dinner when we are staying in the city) at a decent restaurant or a perfectly located outdoor cafe (we favor places in the Piazza Navona because of the great view and entertainment watching tour groups). In fact, if you are in the Piazza Navona you also get to admire one of the most beautiful fountains in the world., the Fountain of the Four Rivers. One could probably make a good argument that the most important export of Italian culture is in the area of food and wine. There is nothing quite like experiencing the real thing!

Hank

Regarding Roman Forum and getting to Spanish Steps:

Thank you so much for the tips for navigating the Forum efficiently, EC & Eileen!

Sounds like we'll save time taking the bus to Spanish Steps. I will put together a walking map with the points you gave, EC. Glad we didn't head to the metro and waste time.

How much time can we expect to spend climbing Capitoline Hill? Would we still be able to cover the Forum in (approx) 45 mins doing this?? The views sound great!

Regarding Food:

I completely agree that trying the local cuisine is an important part of travelling! I really hope that we will have time to stop and try some Rome food (in addition to the gelato & cappuccino that is a must!) but I want to be prepared with snacks just in case we are running behind schedule.

Unfortunately, the only Italian city where we'll have time for leisurely meals is Venice - will definitely plan to spend more time in other cities during future trips!

If you can think of any good spots for a quick bite in Rome (near the main attractions), please let me know!

How much time can we expect to spend climbing Capitoline Hill? Would we still be able to cover the Forum in (approx) 45 mins doing this?? The views sound great!

It's only a few minutes. If you have a map of the forum, look for the Arch of Septimius Severus (it's in the far northwestern corner of the forum). Behind (to the west and north) the arch there is a church, San Giuseppe dei Falegnami (this is where the Mamertine prision is). [by the way, Google maps misidentifies this church as Santi Luca e Martina which is actually the church facing it.]

Alongside the church there is a staircase, this is the exit to Capitoline. There are three sets of steps, each with a landing that looks over the forum. When you get to the top of the third set of stairs the Palazzo Senatorio will be on your left. Walk to the front of this building and you will be in the middle of the Piazza del Campidoglio (the piazza with the intricately designed pavement, by Michelangelo).

In total, up the stairs and to the Piazza, is less than five minutes unless you stop to take a lot of pictures from the landings.

OMG! Take away food? Granola bars? My goodness, you are Italy which is somewhat well known for great food (last time I looked there are Italian restaurants all over the world). Yes, we know some folks just want to run from place to place without stopping for food, wine, beer, smelling the Roses, etc. But DW and I cannot imagine going to Rome (and we have been there many times) without having a nice lunch (or dinner when we are staying in the city) at a decent restaurant or a perfectly located outdoor cafe (we favor places in the Piazza Navona because of the great view and entertainment watching tour groups). In fact, if you are in the Piazza Navona you also get to admire one of the most beautiful fountains in the world., the Fountain of the Four Rivers. One could probably make a good argument that the most important export of Italian culture is in the area of food and wine. There is nothing quite like experiencing the real thing!

Hank

Different folks have different styles. I also have been to Italy many times, but I am still perfectly willing to forego a nice lunch if it means I can have more time to wander around some beautiful ruins. In fact, just this year I was in Paestum for the day. We had planned to go to one of the nice restaurants in the area (famous for its fresh buffalo mozzarella), but we could not bear to tear ourselves away from the Paestum site for a long lunch. Instead we enjoyed at least an extra 90-120 minutes walking around the site, and we also were able to visit the great on-site museum. Seeing the ruins fulfills a need in me that food cannot match, however good it is. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for great Italian food, but it is not the highest priority on my list.

As for the bolded sentence in your post above, for starters:

• Roman law and engineering?
  • Renaissance and Baroque art?
  • The Catholic church? (love it or hate it, it is a powerful institution that has sponsored some of the world's finest art and architecture)
  • Opera?

We do agree (CruiseMom) that its different strokes for different folks. We know cruisers that will only eat in McDonalds or BurgerKing (true) when in Europe. But if you talk to the person in the street of any US city and ask them about Italy they will quickly talk about Italian food and restaurants. We have not met many folks who would first mention Roman Law or Baroque Art :). By the way, we are big opera fans and one of the most amazing experiences (regarding Opera) we have had is seeing Aida at the Verona Arena (the largest opera venue in the world). Of course before going to that Opera we did have a delightful dinner in a cafe across from the ancient arena :)

Hank

Archived