Civitevecchia DIY to Rome - Comments, suggestions, etc?

SSAA33

I also will be in Civitavecchia in Sept and am planning a similar trip, only I will have one hour less than you as my ship arrives at 8AM. Could you post your revised plan so that I can use that as a template for my trip? Also, since I have an hour less time, what would you eliminate in my case? Thanks for your help.

I also will be in Civitavecchia in Sept and am planning a similar trip, only I will have one hour less than you as my ship arrives at 8AM. Could you post your revised plan so that I can use that as a template for my trip? Also, since I have an hour less time, what would you eliminate in my case? Thanks for your help.

Not the OP, but as one who has spent a lot of time in Rome, my advice would be to eliminate the Spanish Steps.

Colosseum - Roman Forum - Campidoglio - Trevi Fountain - Pantheon - Piazza Navona - St. Peter's Basilica

Not the OP, but as one who has spent a lot of time in Rome, my advice would be to eliminate the Spanish Steps.

Colosseum - Roman Forum - Campidoglio - Trevi Fountain - Pantheon - Piazza Navona - St. Peter's Basilica

I had our Rome in a day planned out for 4 of us, 2 couples. Although our ship leaves at 11:59 P.M. allowing extra time to sightsee, we all agreed to return to the ship by 7-8 p.m. We originally planned to take early train to Termini, metro 2 stops to Bernini exit walk to Trevi, Pantheon, Piazza Navona and taxi to St. Peter's for l:45 p.m. Scavi tour (already scheduled) followed by run through Vatican Museum to see Sistine Chapel, and return to ship from San Pietro station. NOW, our DH's want to see the Colisseum probably only a walk by-- so it will take a little rework -- any suggestions are very much appreciated.

I had our Rome in a day planned out for 4 of us, 2 couples. Although our ship leaves at 11:59 P.M. allowing extra time to sightsee, we all agreed to return to the ship by 7-8 p.m. We originally planned to take early train to Termini, metro 2 stops to Bernini exit walk to Trevi, Pantheon, Piazza Navona and taxi to St. Peter's for l:45 p.m. Scavi tour (already scheduled) followed by run through Vatican Museum to see Sistine Chapel, and return to ship from San Pietro station. NOW, our DH's want to see the Colisseum probably only a walk by-- so it will take a little rework -- any suggestions are very much appreciated.

I would revise by starting at the Colosseum. Take the train to the Roma Ostiense station and transfer there to the metro (there is an underground tunnel linking the two stations that you access from the passageway that links the tracks). The Colosseum is the second stop (direction Rebibbia).

From the Colosseum to the Trevi fountain is an easy walk of just under a mile (0.9 to be precise). If you'd rather not walk you can take one of several buses (the #53, #85, or #175 will all work) from the stops in front of the Colosseo metro stop to the Corso/Minghetti stop and walk from there (two blocks, about a tenth of a mile).

The rest of your day can proceed as planned.

If you look at the bus routes (links below), on the right hand side they list the stops. This makes it easy to know when to get off - just print out the list of stops and count along as you go on the route.

You can see the bus routes here:

53: http://trovalinea.atac.roma.it/zoom_in.asp?VediSemafori=off&VediMeb=off&VediParcometri=off&VediFermate=off&VediLinee=off&VediRivendite=off&percorso=53R&idmtram=52714&xmax=2313685&ymax=4646026&xmin=2309315&ymin=4639817&tipologia=URB&linea=53&circo=NO

85: http://trovalinea.atac.roma.it/zoom_in.asp?VediSemafori=off&VediMeb=off&VediParcometri=off&VediFermate=off&VediLinee=off&VediRivendite=off&percorso=85AT&idmtram=52833&xmax=2315835&ymax=4642655&xmin=2310594&ymin=4637701&tipologia=URB&linea=85&circo=NO

175: http://trovalinea.atac.roma.it/zoom_in.asp?VediSemafori=off&VediMeb=off&VediParcometri=off&VediFermate=off&VediLinee=off&VediRivendite=off&percorso=175AT&idmtram=51824&xmax=2313013&ymax=4642655&xmin=2310594&ymin=4638424&tipologia=URB&linea=175&circo=NO

I would revise by starting at the Colosseum. Take the train to the Roma Ostiense station and transfer there to the metro (there is an underground tunnel linking the two stations that you access from the passageway that links the tracks). The Colosseum is the second stop (direction Rebibbia).

From the Colosseum to the Trevi fountain is an easy walk of just under a mile (0.9 to be precise). If you'd rather not walk you can take one of several buses (the #53, #85, or #175 will all work) from the stops in front of the Colosseo metro stop to the Corso/Minghetti stop and walk from there (two blocks, about a tenth of a mile).

If you look at the bus routes (links below), on the right hand side they list the stops. This makes it easy to know when to get off - just print out the list of stops and count along as you go on the route.

53: http://trovalinea.atac.roma.it/zoom_in.asp?VediSemafori=off&VediMeb=off&VediParcometri=off&VediFermate=off&VediLinee=off&VediRivendite=off&percorso=53R&idmtram=52714&xmax=2313685&ymax=4646026&xmin=2309315&ymin=4639817&tipologia=URB&linea=53&circo=NO

85: http://trovalinea.atac.roma.it/zoom_in.asp?VediSemafori=off&VediMeb=off&VediParcometri=off&VediFermate=off&VediLinee=off&VediRivendite=off&percorso=85AT&idmtram=52833&xmax=2315835&ymax=4642655&xmin=2310594&ymin=4637701&tipologia=URB&linea=85&circo=NO

175: http://trovalinea.atac.roma.it/zoom_in.asp?VediSemafori=off&VediMeb=off&VediParcometri=off&VediFermate=off&VediLinee=off&VediRivendite=off&percorso=175AT&idmtram=51824&xmax=2313013&ymax=4642655&xmin=2310594&ymin=4638424&tipologia=URB&linea=175&circo=NO

I'm trying to plan a DIY in rome and want to go to Le Domus Romane. Any of you been there? How long does it take and what metro is it near?

Thank you.

I'm trying to plan a DIY in rome and want to go to Le Domus Romane. Any of you been there? How long does it take and what metro is it near?

I can only help you with the last part of your question - it's not really near any metro as it is in the heart of historical Rome. It is quite close to a dozen bus lines, however. Where are you coming from, and/or where are you going to from there? With that information I can help you out.

If the metro is a must, here are the nearest stops:

Colosseo: 0.6 miles, flat walking

Cavour: 0.7 miles, relatively flat walking

Barberini: 0.7 miles, slightly downhill, mostly flat walking

I can only help you with the last part of your question - it's not really near any metro as it is in the heart of historical Rome. It is quite close to a dozen bus lines, however. Where are you coming from, and/or where are you going to from there? With that information I can help you out.

If the metro is a must, here are the nearest stops:

Colosseo: 0.6 miles, flat walking

Cavour: 0.7 miles, relatively flat walking

Barberini: 0.7 miles, slightly downhill, mostly flat walking

I was hoping to go to Trevi, Pantheon, Piazza Navona and then I read about having lunch in Piazza del Popolo (but I haven't figured out where that is) and then go to Le Domus Romane. However I do it I want to be at Le Domus Romane about 1 pm. Then after going through head back to the ship on the train so if you know best way to get back to the train that would be great. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I don't think I'd go out of my way (and it would be out of your way) to eat at Piazza del Popolo (the northernmost part of the historical center). What have you read that makes you want to go there?

I'm afraid you will be hard pressed to have a sit down lunch and still make a 1 PM appointment, as many places don't start serving until 12:30 or so. The places that ring Piazza Navona or Piazza della Rotonda (where the Pantheon is) may serve earlier, so perhaps that would be an option for you.

Afterwards you can take a bus from right in front of the Domus Romane to Termini, that will probably be your most direct and fastest option.

I don't think I'd go out of my way (and it would be out of your way) to eat at Piazza del Popolo (the northernmost part of the historical center). What have you read that makes you want to go there?

I'm afraid you will be hard pressed to have a sit down lunch and still make a 1 PM appointment, as many places don't start serving until 12:30 or so. The places that ring Piazza Navona or Piazza della Rotonda (where the Pantheon is) may serve earlier, so perhaps that would be an option for you.

Afterwards you can take a bus from right in front of the Domus Romane to Termini, that will probably be your most direct and fastest option.

I read somewhere that it was where the locals eat but I'm not set on it. Are the times to catch the bus in front of the Domus listed somewhere? Thank you so much for your help.

Thank you for the great advice and links -- your information has saved the day for me. I could have checked and checked and perhaps figured this out, but certainly not as quickly and accurately as you have. Excuse my laziness but hope you'll applaud my intuition that someone would, like yourself, on cruise critic come up with the all the answers.

Are the times to catch the bus in front of the Domus listed somewhere?

You'll have several buses to choose from, just take the first one that arrives, which will be less than five minutes during the day.

Here are the ones that I know will work (you'll be getting on at Piazza Venezia, which is what the stop in front of the Domus Romane is called), there are probably others. Just look at the sign posts and look for Termini on the bus sign.

#40: http://trovalinea.atac.roma.it/zoom_in.asp?muovi=&DADOClick=&giornopassaggi=&ClearSel=&xmax=2313032&ymax=4643543%2C5&xmin=2309135&ymin=4639646%2C5&percorso=40RT&idmtram=51815&tipologia=EXP&linea=40&circo=NO&action=zoomin&idLayerAttivo=12&x=278&y=287

#64:

http://trovalinea.atac.roma.it/zoom_in.asp?VediSemafori=off&VediMeb=off&VediParcometri=off&VediFermate=off&VediLinee=off&VediRivendite=off&percorso=64RT&idmtram=51823&xmax=2313023&ymax=4642392&xmin=2308454&ymin=4640681&tipologia=URB&linea=64&circo=NO

Thank you for the great advice and links -- your information has saved the day for me. I could have checked and checked and perhaps figured this out, but certainly not as quickly and accurately as you have. Excuse my laziness but hope you'll applaud my intuition that someone would, like yourself, on cruise critic come up with the all the answers.

I don't mind at all, checking for others helps keep me current. Bus lines change occasionally, so I'm happy to check.

You'll have several buses to choose from, just take the first one that arrives, which will be less than five minutes during the day.

Here are the ones that I know will work (you'll be getting on at Piazza Venezia, which is what the stop in front of the Domus Romane is called), there are probably others. Just look at the sign posts and look for Termini on the bus sign.

#40: http://trovalinea.atac.roma.it/zoom_in.asp?muovi=&DADOClick=&giornopassaggi=&ClearSel=&xmax=2313032&ymax=4643543%2C5&xmin=2309135&ymin=4639646%2C5&percorso=40RT&idmtram=51815&tipologia=EXP&linea=40&circo=NO&action=zoomin&idLayerAttivo=12&x=278&y=287

#64:

http://trovalinea.atac.roma.it/zoom_in.asp?VediSemafori=off&VediMeb=off&VediParcometri=off&VediFermate=off&VediLinee=off&VediRivendite=off&percorso=64RT&idmtram=51823&xmax=2313023&ymax=4642392&xmin=2308454&ymin=4640681&tipologia=URB&linea=64&circo=NO

Thank you so much. I may have figured it out eventually but it's great to have someone who knows where to look!

I had hoped to get off at Roma Ostiense to go to Coloseum, but the private Roma Express train we took only went to San Pietro...got there 930 ish..

Walked to St. Peter's Square...took some pics...went to Ottaviana station over to Colloseum...had pre paid tix. Sailed in...No time to walk around Palatine Hill though...we walked from there to Pantheon...walking past an area I forgot the name of...then to Trevi Fountain...forgot to go for Gelato near Pantheon and Piazza Navonna

hahah Went into a market got a sandwich and drinks...proceeded to Spanish Steps...then to Spagna Metro station right there back to Vatican...long walk into Museums...had pre paid 1PM tix, got there bout 145..no problem!

..did short tour museum, Sistine, then secret door to St. Peter's Bascilica..(great little religious shop while walking between the two on the left also a fountain on the right....they had Murano crosses and hearts...made in Murano...felt better about that than the "Murano" I bought in Venice).

Then BACK to Vatican Museum for a hat my husband wanted, but no other sales venue at Vatican had...walked back to train for 4:30. Air Conditioning blasting.

An amazing tiring day... Bernadette

BRING GATORADE powder..wish I had brought two packets for our water- it was 97 degrees...and sodas near the Vatican and on the way to Pantheon were 3.5 Euros....each

#64:

Another question: how do you figure out how long the bus takes to get from the Piazza stop to the Termini? I want to catch the train at 3:45 pm so do I need to catch the bus at 3:00 pm. I just found the arrival times but still not sure how much time to allow for finding the correct train.

Thank you.

It's only a mile and a half from Piazza Venezia to Termini; the buses go up Via ****onale and, depending on the bus, may have only a couple of stops or several before reaching the train station. Worst case is ten minutes, so I'd figure fifteen to be on the safe side. Add ten minutes to that to find your track and ten minutes of potential waiting time for the bus and you'd want to be at the bus stop 35 minutes before your train; in your case that would mean being at the bus stop at 3:10 PM. Odds are that you'll wind up cooling your heels in Termini for 15 minutes or so, but better that than worrying you won't make it.

It's only a few minutes. If you have a map of the forum, look for the Arch of Septimius Severus (it's in the far northwestern corner of the forum). Behind (to the west and north) the arch there is a church, San Giuseppe dei Falegnami (this is where the Mamertine prision is). [by the way, Google maps misidentifies this church as Santi Luca e Martina which is actually the church facing it.]

Alongside the church there is a staircase, this is the exit to Capitoline. There are three sets of steps, each with a landing that looks over the forum. When you get to the top of the third set of stairs the Palazzo Senatorio will be on your left. Walk to the front of this building and you will be in the middle of the Piazza del Campidoglio (the piazza with the intricately designed pavement, by Michelangelo).

In total, up the stairs and to the Piazza, is less than five minutes unless you stop to take a lot of pictures from the landings.

I thought I had responded to this from my phone but it didn't show up for some reason :(

Thank you for so much for explaining that in detail! Sounds like the perfect way to exit the Forum with great views :)

Now I just have to put together this map to add to our itinerary!

Sorry about the late response! As Euro Cruiser said (and as everyone advised me), if you are short on time Spanish Steps can be skipped.

Also, I'm not sure if you are planning on going into the Roman Forum as well as the Colosseum but it is possible to see the Forum from outside without going in if you want to save more time.

My plan as it stands now is:

Train from Civitevecchia to Ostiense -> metro to Colosseum -> Roman Forum -> bus to Spanish Steps -> walk to Trevi Fountain -> walk to Pantheon -> walk to Piazza Navona -> walk (through Via del Governo Vecchio & Ponte Sant'Angelo) to St. Peter's -> walk to Roma San Pietro train station and take the train back to Civi

Hi SSAA33: We recently added the Colosseum to our plan too, but not going to do the Forum or Spanish Steps. The remainder of the itinerary is similar to yours. I know our ship leaves port later, however, we are hoping to be back in port by 8 p.m. at the latest. Hope you'll come back and let us know how your timing works out. Will keep a eye out for your post in Sept.

from Colloseum to Pantheon, then Trevi, Spanish steps and then using Metro from the Spagna Metro subway stop right next to Spanish steps...to Vatican.....

It was so easy to simply walk and use Metro closest to Spanish steps to get to St. Peter's Square.

Bernadette

I would take the local train in and get off at Trastevere stop, you would be close to Piazza Navona etc...it is not as far as Termini as well. On the return you may not have a seat since it leaves from Termini and gets filled up but again and easier and quicker option and worth it

If you want to see both the Forum and Colosseum, make sure you buy the combo ticket at the Forum. Shorter line and then you can walk right in when you get to the Colosseum. Does take time but it's worth it to see both.

Hi all - First - thanks to all the posters for the wealth of information on these boards. it is truly amazing. however, i am a bit confused on how to plan my our day as this is our first trip to Italy! We're in port 7AM-7PM and I was thinking of doing the following

Port -> Colliseum -> Campo dei Fiori -> Piazza Navona -> Pantheon -> Trevi Fountain -> Spanish Steps -> Port

Going to skip the vatican as I don't really want to rush through everything.

Are there any MUST SEE's that I am missing that could be added or substituted? Does this order seem to work? According to Google Maps it looks like I could walk this all - 30 minutes from colliseum -> campo de Fiori being the longest walk - and would only have to worry about trains to get in and out of rome.

Sorry about not responding for so long! Was away and catching up on everything now... Trip just around the corner!!

Just wanted to confirm that this is the correct site for buying my Colosseum + Forum tickets in advance:

http://www.ticketclic.it/Gb/HTML/musei/colosseo.cfm

I also came across the site below but they are showing the full price ticket for 18 euro and the reduced ticket for 13.50. I thought the full price online was 13.50?

Archived