Since UK Bookings are a rip-off...

I keep reading about all these TERRIBLE rules for UK bookings. I truly feel bad for my brethren across the pond. But it got me wondering....

What's to stop someone from The UK from simply contacting an American TA and booking through them? Does RCI restrict these bookings based on the nationality of the purchaser?

I keep reading about all these TERRIBLE rules for UK bookings. I truly feel bad for my brethren across the pond. But it got me wondering....

What's to stop someone from The UK from simply contacting an American TA and booking through them? Does RCI restrict these bookings based on the nationality of the purchaser?

I would be interested in that option too. I have heard some mention of ABTA/ATOL protection in UK, but there might be similar consumer protection in the US too. It would really be good if we can get the option of booking in US to get the extra benfits of refundable deposits, price drop matches etc that we read about - not to mention a lower basic price fo the same holiday.

It is not a problem at all for a RCCL UK cruiser to book with a US TA ...I have done so for years :D There are quite a few CC members who book with US TAs :D

The problem is finding a "good" one that people have experience of, but are not allowed to advertise !...

Finding a good online agent is by no means a problem unique to UK cruisers. U.S. cruisers don't have any secret knowledge, you just need to do your homework:

- Talk to friends or fellow cruisers while onboard

- Google "Find Best Cruise Travel Agents" - you'll find all kinds of articles and lists by travel magazines, book publishers, etc.

- Look for affiliations such as BBB (Better Business Bureau)

- Follow suggestions on the Cruise article on choosing an agent: http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?id=62 and check their list of recommended agencies: http://www.cruisecritic.com/shipshop/

Finding a good online agent is by no means a problem unique to UK cruisers. U.S. cruisers don't have any secret knowledge, you just need to do your homework:

- Talk to friends or fellow cruisers while onboard

- Google "Find Best Cruise Travel Agents" - you'll find all kinds of articles and lists by travel magazines, book publishers, etc.

- Look for affiliations such as BBB (Better Business Bureau)

- Follow suggestions on the Cruise article on choosing an agent: http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?id=62 and check their list of recommended agencies: http://www.cruisecritic.com/shipshop/

Let's hope this works for us Aussies....no perks given here. My hubby is an expat Yank but because we don't have a US residential address we are limited with some US bookings. Next time I'll be booked through a US TA.

It's been my experience that you have to book in the country your living in. I know RCI won't let you book in another country. I also know some American travel agents (ones that work for large companies) are not allowed to book for people outside of U.S. There may be tax/legal issues involved. Do your homework and be cautious.

Royal Caribbean does let UK Cruisers book with US TAs.

You do not have to book in the country you live in.

I know our 'rules' are the same with Canada and US but I book in both Canada and on the US site depending on the current $ and if Royal has caught up with the fluctuations in the exchange rate.

I initially had the Oasis inaugural booked with Royal US since we were almost at par and the USD was about $20 cheaper... fast forward many months... our $ bottomed out... luckily Royal hadn't updated their exchange rates and I managed to cancel/rebook in CDN at a better than original price... throw in a couple price drops and we were very happy sailors ;)

Original $1829 US or $1849 CDN at basically par

Then $1829 US = about $2650 Canadian!! :eek:

cancelled & rebooked at $1839 CDN

Price Drops to $1429 CDN

I was told that they may not let you on the ship and I can't quite remember why.:confused:

I asked my TA about this but obviously tried to put me off.

I'm just a bit sceptical, as I don't want to book through the US get there and find I'm denied boarding or my cabin isn't right or something else. Although, it would be nice to have a few perks, have a refundable deposit and have price drops.

"Royal Caribbean does let UK Cruisers book with US TAs.

You do not have to book in the country you live in."

_

Hello Elizanessie,

I have been told that you need an American Credit card registered to an address in the USA to book this way, is that correct?

I haven't ventured down this path yet, but would consider it.

Thanks,

Anne

Hello Elizanessie,

I have been told that you need an American Credit card registered to an address in the USA to book this way, is that correct?

I haven't ventured down this path yet, but would consider it.

Thanks,

Anne

Hi Anne :)

No you do not need an American Credit card registered to American address.

I have always used normal UK credit cards when paying my US TA and you can even use UK Debit card...as long as it is Visa or Mastercard.

Thank you for that Elizanessie,

I have been misinformed about that, which was the main reason I did not look into booking with a US Travel Agency any further.

I think I need to do some research :p

Anne

Royal Caribbean does let UK Cruisers book with US TAs.

You do not have to book in the country you live in.

Royal Caribbean policy is North American travel agencies can only book passengers that live in North America. Currently they do not enforce that policy. However they could decide to enforce at any time.

Here are some excerpts from their travel agent policies:

Principle 1: Only Take Bookings From Guests in a Territory for Which You Are Authorized.

a. Each Office only authorizes a travel agency to market and take booking requests from customers located in the country (or countries) assigned to that Office.

•For example, the Office in Miami, Florida USA only authorizes travel agencies to market and book cruises for customers located in the fifty states of the United States of America and Canada. So a travel agency that has signed up with the Cruise Lines' Office in Miami is not authorized to take a booking request from a customer in London unless that travel agency had also signed up with the Cruise Lines' Office for England.

•Travel agencies:

1. cannot market cruises to guests booked outside their sales territories,

Principle 3: The Guest's Home is the Key.

a. We recognize that determining where a person lives can be complicated so we currently use a single basic principle: Your Home is the Key. If the guest has a residence in a country in which the travel agent is authorized to sell, the travel agency is authorized to sell to the guest. If the guest has a UK passport but only resides in France, only travel agencies authorized to sell in France are authorized to sell to that guest.

I was told that they may not let you on the ship and I can't quite remember why.:confused:

I asked my TA about this but obviously tried to put me off.

I'm just a bit sceptical, as I don't want to book through the US get there and find I'm denied boarding or my cabin isn't right or something else. Although, it would be nice to have a few perks, have a refundable deposit and have price drops.

I booked a cruise and sailed in July 2011 from Venice via an American website and paid with a Uk visa debit card and had no issues. The price for the cruise was cheaper than the UK £ and the OBC was a lot higher as well.

Archived