3 Cruise passengers missing in Ocho Rios?

kcparrothead

I definately do not think they just walked off and decided not to come back.

I bet all their luggage is till on the ship. Sounds scary! :eek:

We went to Dunns River Falls there several yrs. ago. Maybe l0? I don't remember it being scary then. We just took a taxi (van) with other people to the falls and back.

The reports say they took their luggage with them. Sounds like it was planned. Pretty irresponsible to not tell anyone.

Glad to know they were found safe and sound. Once again a story that does nothing for Carnivals reputation-:( I know that Carnival had nothing to do with this, but they were CC cruisers. And you know how the news is....

It affects Jamaica's reputation.

Just think...the stupidity of 3 people could do real harm to a country's economy.

It actually makes Carnival's security look stupid too....didn't they check the cabin to see if the belongings were there before they called out the troops?

I'm wondering if there's a rule...or something in the contract about informing the staff if you decide to "not return". Maybe this was the first port, and they were unhappy...and expect Carnival to fly them home for free!

CCL should hire a platoon of Navy Seals to accompany there ships to the dangerous islands . If an American is harmed the Seals go into town .One call that's all .

Or....they can just stop going to those islands. Maybe a direct hit in their tourism pocketbook will force them to make things safer for their visitors!

Wow - feed the "sky is falling" theory.

I would sleep in the middle of the road in Ocho before going near mexico any time soon-- the worst thing would happen is somebody would try to force me to buy a bracelet or some pot muffins. These people left with ALL their luggage getting off the ship?

We've had 5 land-based vacations - once accidentally been to the "back alley" of jewelry and drugs in MoBay and lived to tell about it - a very firm "No Thanks, I'm Good", and keep walking

We've been to the remote areas and vendors are only a one time NO instead of 2-3.

It's sad

but it's like going to the pound to get a buried treasure.

I got my puppy, he's created a lot of great memories for me --

but in my journey I had to bypass many sad other puppies to get mine. Does that mean I should never go to the pound again? Because it's a little sad and somewhat scary? I might get bit, might get a tick, probably not going to get rabies and DIE.

Thou shall not base an entire country on the 1 mile radius of a cruiseport in one of the poorest yet beautiful islands.

Anyone else on my side here? :confused::confused::confused:

Well speaking from a couple who did get robbed on one of the islands, I wouldn't push my luck either.

I will be curious to learn from those on the ship if the ship was held up while they tried to find these passengers. When all is said and done, I have a few other questions. 1) Do you think CCL will press any kind of charges aganist the family? 2) How did the family think they were getting home? It wasn't like they could hop on a second ship since airfare might be cheaper;). 3) What was this family thinking?

BTW, we were in Falmouth last June on RCI's Allure of the Seas. The port wasn't finished, so we rode to the Shops at Rose Hall. We didn't have any problems. We also spent our honeymoon at Negril at an all-inclusive. We had a few people try to stop our bus between the Montego Bay airport and the resort to sell dope, and some try to come on to the resort property to sell it (they were quickly run off). Other than that, we had no problems.

Glad to hear that they were found safe.

As for Jamaica itself, I would go back in a heartbeat. Beautiful island with some of the friendliest, hardest working people I've ever encountered. The aggresive sales tactics didn't scare me one bit. I know how to say "no thank you" politely and firmly with a smile. Sometimes it takes 2, 3 or 4 times but it works They are just trying to make a living. One of the first things a salesperson learns is that "Salesmanship begins when the customer says No". They take that c redo to heart. :p Unfortunately, some people find that scary. Maybe I'm just not easily intimidated. After leaving Dunn's River Falls we went through the "maze" of vendors to get back to our bus. So many people had told us how scary it was...we actually enjoyed it! The haggling, the "I have a gift for you pretty lady", it was all fun. They aren't trying to kidnap you for goodness sake thay are just making a living anyway they can.

Having said that, I am also not stupid. I keep aware of my surroundings and take the same type of precautions that I would in any unfamiliar location. Walk with your head held high, meet peoples gaze with a smile and never go anywhere alone.

It affects Jamaica's reputation.

Just think...the stupidity of 3 people could do real harm to a country's economy.

It actually makes Carnival's security look stupid too....didn't they check the cabin to see if the belongings were there before they called out the troops?

I'm wondering if there's a rule...or something in the contract about informing the staff if you decide to "not return". Maybe this was the first port, and they were unhappy...and expect Carnival to fly them home for free!

I don't think it makes security look stupid. First, they likely were light travelers, so it wasn't obvious about luggage. Even if the cabin was later checked and found empty, I would think it to be legally responsible to report someone , just in case.

It clearly was a preplanned exit by the family, or they wouldn't have taken everything with them.

I don't think it makes security look stupid. First, they likely were light travelers, so it wasn't obvious about luggage. Even if the cabin was later checked and found empty, I would think it to be legally responsible to report someone , just in case.

It clearly was a preplanned exit by the family, or they wouldn't have taken everything with them.

So when they were getting off the ship with all their baggage it should have been a clue hunh?

If I was to debark at a port with my suitcase would they even ask what I was doing or would they wait until I did not show up before sailaway?

I will be curious to learn from those on the ship if the ship was held up while they tried to find these passengers..

I believe a Captain has to take alll of the following into account when deciding to wait/search for missing passengers:

1). How long is reasonable?

2). Will the Port Authorities even allow the ship to stay longer; will there be extra port charges for Carnival?

3). How much time is there in the schedule for waiting and still making the next port on time?

4). Should 3 people missing under unknown circumstances be responsible for possibly inconveniencing 3,000 others?

Not to sound harsh, but cruise lines make it very clear: its your responsibility to get back to the ship on time. Imagine if they had missed the next port while waiting for these 3. How many passengers would've been screaming for OBC or more?

I believe a Captain has to take alll of the following into account when deciding to wait/search for missing passengers:

1). How long is reasonable?

2). Will the Port Authorities even allow the ship to stay longer; will there be extra port charges for Carnival?

3). How much time is there in the schedule for waiting and still making the next port on time?

4). Should 3 people missing under unknown circumstances be responsible for possibly inconveniencing 3,000 others?

Not to sound harsh, but cruise lines make it very clear: its your responsibility to get back to the ship on time. Imagine if they had missed the next port while waiting for these 3. How many passengers would've been screaming for OBC or more?

That was exactly why I pondered that. When we were on the Legend in July, the Captain had to blow the horn three times at Mahogany Bay to warn passengers that they were about to get left. It was the first cruise where we had ever experienced such a disregard for the "be back on board" time. We had another port where the ship-sponsored excursions were late, but that is a different case. At Roatan, these were individuals shopping, rather that getting in line to board. If I were the Captain (not knowing what proper protocol is), I wouldn't hesitate to leave anyone. Again, I'm not in charge.

This family is not being held captive on the ship and can leave any time they would like; however, it blows my mind that they would not think to tell someone that they would not be returning to the ship from that port. People on the boards grip about rude behavior. I think this example takes the top prize.

My opinion....

Those three had every right not to go back to the ship if they decided to stay on the island BUT they should of notified guest services so that they not hold back the ship from leaving port on its scheduled time. Captain has to consider everything such as what "Kicker" said below here...I agree with him.

I have been on cruises and prior to taking off heard the ships horn blow three times warning passengers the ship going to leave shortly. I just not know why people "cut it" so close, we always back on the ship AT LEAST 1 1/2 hours before to allow for things such as cabs breaking down, traffic and such. Generally we always back anyways at least two hours lol we enjoy sitting and people watch the passengers go back onto the ship.

I feel that this is an issue....I feel cruise lines should in their online boarding pass when they fill out all their information such as passport, address, emergency contact and such that cruise lines should add in a question whether the passenger be leaving the ship at any port, this way this won't happen again.

Glad to hear that they were found safe.

As for Jamaica itself, I would go back in a heartbeat. Beautiful island with some of the friendliest, hardest working people I've ever encountered. The aggresive sales tactics didn't scare me one bit. I know how to say "no thank you" politely and firmly with a smile. Sometimes it takes 2, 3 or 4 times but it works They are just trying to make a living. One of the first things a salesperson learns is that "Salesmanship begins when the customer says No". They take that c redo to heart. :p Unfortunately, some people find that scary. Maybe I'm just not easily intimidated. After leaving Dunn's River Falls we went through the "maze" of vendors to get back to our bus. So many people had told us how scary it was...we actually enjoyed it! The haggling, the "I have a gift for you pretty lady", it was all fun. They aren't trying to kidnap you for goodness sake thay are just making a living anyway they can.

Having said that, I am also not stupid. I keep aware of my surroundings and take the same type of precautions that I would in any unfamiliar location. Walk with your head held high, meet peoples gaze with a smile and never go anywhere alone.

I agree, I absolutely love Jamaica. And as far as the "pushy sales", I have been in parts of the world where it was much, much worse (and that didn't bother me either).

These people are living in some pretty abject poverty, especially compared to us. Get your nose out of the air, and stop looking down on these people. Buy stuff, don't buy stuff, who cares - but these are real people with real families and real needs just trying to make their way in the world.

Meanwhile the island is incredibly beautiful with a great variety of interesting and amazing adventures you can have. Enjoy paradise, and try smiling at someone ...

The Ocho Rios area isn't scary at all. I have close friends who have grown up in Kingston and Spanishtown who have told me how bad it is right now . . . but not in Ocho Rios/Fallmouth/MoBay.

When i went in January, my wife and I along with 4 friends I met on the cruise hired a driver and he took us all over the place. Everybody was nice. Sure I got approached over 30 times about purchasing some weed and the vendors are aggressive but I certainly wouldn't classify that as "scary". Weed is a part of the Jamaican culture, a simple "No Thanks" or "I'm Good thanks" does the trick. The last thing that community wants is to have an incident that deters tourists from spending money.

Just have to use common sense. I'd certainly feel safer in Ocho Rios than I would in many areas down here in South Florida.

You are really missing out on some spectacular views if you stay on the ship in Ocho Rios. Jamaica certainly is a beautiful island. Atleast get off to get some of that authenic Jamaican jerk (insert meat) and festival.

Jamaica is interesting for me.

I've been there only once, on my first cruise in 1992 or 1994 or something like that. I was 21 or 22 and with my boyfriend at the time. My memory is a bit fuzzy, but a couple of things are not. We did Dunn's River Falls and loved it. I clearly remember being awe struck by the beauty of the place.

I also clearly remember feeling uneasy about the place, given the number of times we were aggressively approached to buy drugs, the guy who tried to physically pull me into an alley (I took care of that with a firm twist of my arm and an assertive and loud "BACK OFF" in his face), and the bus driver (ship-sponsored) who wouldn't take us back to the ship without first stopping at his "cousin's" side-of-the-road shopping place.

I'm no sheltered shrinking violet. In fact, I'm pretty adventurous. I also grew up in the middle of St. Louis and lived in Miami at the time of the cruise, and I tend to make friends with the locals wherever I go, and I teach my children to do the same. That said....I don't know what I'll do if I take a cruise that stops on Ocho Rios or MoBay, especially with my kids.....

I'm no sheltered shrinking violet. In fact, I'm pretty adventurous. I also grew up in the middle of St. Louis and lived in Miami at the time of the cruise, and I tend to make friends with the locals wherever I go, and I teach my children to do the same. That said....I don't know what I'll do if I take a cruise that stops on Ocho Rios or MoBay, especially with my kids.....

Oh, let your kids experience the beauty of Jamaica. You obviously want to make wise choices with them, and maybe would not do some things with them that you might have done on your own ... but you can still take them somewhere.

When we went with my three kids, we just booked a day at one of the resorts. The resort had a taxi waiting for us, took us over there, we got to see the scenery of the island as we went, and kids running around playing soccer. Then we had an amazing afternoon playing on the beach and having some great food and music. The kids loved it.

Oh, let your kids experience the beauty of Jamaica. You obviously want to make wise choices with them, and maybe would not do some things with them that you might have done on your own ... but you can still take them somewhere.

When we went with my three kids, we just booked a day at one of the resorts. The resort had a taxi waiting for us, took us over there, we got to see the scenery of the island as we went, and kids running around playing soccer. Then we had an amazing afternoon playing on the beach and having some great food and music. The kids loved it.

I agree! My youngest DD was 11 when we were there and we booked with a reputable vendor and went to the Falls and river tubing. That was six years ago and the girls still talk about it--we even watched the Dunns River Falls video a couple weeks ago. :D

I was ready to go Mama Bear if I felt my girls were being threatened but no one even approached us. The vendors took one "No, thank you" as an answer and didn't press. It was a wonderful, memorable day.

I think any worries would be lessened by having kids with you. I dunno, I just think the reality of how some places are and how the people there live make people not used to it extremely insecure, when in reality those same aggressive vendors have families to feed with little kids at the end of the day also.

Seriously the whole weed thing is more about finding tourists who wanna some of that "Yard Ganja" and less about "Jamaicans are hard core drug dealers". Certainly it can rub people the wrong way but again "No Thank You" works well.

I visited the RIU at Ocho Rios while there and man I tell you, that place is gorgeous.

I agree! My youngest DD was 11 when we were there and we booked with a reputable vendor and went to the Falls and river tubing. That was six years ago and the girls still talk about it--we even watched the Dunns River Falls video a couple weeks ago. :D

I was ready to go Mama Bear if I felt my girls were being threatened but no one even approached us. The vendors took one "No, thank you" as an answer and didn't press. It was a wonderful, memorable day.

I agree, I absolutely love Jamaica. And as far as the "pushy sales", I have been in parts of the world where it was much, much worse (and that didn't bother me either).

These people are living in some pretty abject poverty, especially compared to us. Get your nose out of the air, and stop looking down on these people. Buy stuff, don't buy stuff, who cares - but these are real people with real families and real needs just trying to make their way in the world.

Meanwhile the island is incredibly beautiful with a great variety of interesting and amazing adventures you can have. Enjoy paradise, and try smiling at someone ...

LIKE!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We stayed in Magaritville when we docked in Ocho Rios a few yrs ago. Had an amazing time, also there was a small group of shops there where my DH got pinched on the unmentional butt by a large costumed Jamacain lady. I think it was the highlight of his visit to Jamaica. Seriously I hope the missing family is found.

LOL! It wouldn't matter. Does anyone recall the Carnival banana plantation tour where they held guns to passengers heads during a robbery? Jamaica has always been dangerous.

Thus the reason we stay on the ship. If they want tourism, they have got to deal with all the people demanding tips, harassing visitors etc. not a pleasant place to visit. At our ten top table last cruise that went there, no one had a good experience. Except for us. We stayed on the ship!

We have been to Ocho Rios many times and are going back to MoBay for the second time next month.

There is only one time I felt unsafe and that was right after I discovered cruise critic...I had already been to Ocho Rios a couple time but then I read so much on here that I felt very nervous the whole time off the ship. I didn't really realize it at the time, but once back onboard, DH asked why I was in a such a hurry to be back onboard and that's when I realized! I even went this past April alone with the kids (8 & 11), did a tubing excursion (all by ourselves, although it was a ship excursion)...and we do it again without hesitation!

We love Jamaica!!

Archived